Apr 11, 2013, 09:11 PM
Letís eschew obfuscation.
Russ,

Allright! Sounds like a successful maiden. Looking forward to more info after your next flights. Your plane looks great.

Did you have any issues with the build that I can address in the plans or article (or here in RCG)?

Scott
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2013, 07:57 AM
Got to fly it this morning before the wind really picks up.The lighting was not the best with the sun just coming up but I still got a video. Enjoy and thanks for watching.
Slow Boat Seaplane (2 min 58 sec)
Apr 12, 2013, 01:52 PM
Great looking flyer Russ, I'll be building one...

Neat design Scott!!

Bill
Last edited by Bill Smudge; Apr 12, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Apr 14, 2013, 02:07 PM
I completed my assembly today and am ready to maiden.

A few things that I changed were to make the rudder two layers of FFF for more strength. I laminated 1/64 ply on the front hull and put Oracal vinyl sheeting on the back half for further water intrusion protection.

I put a BP hobbies 2217-9 brushless motor with a 9x6 prop for the first flight. I may well change this after I see how the motor/prop combination performs.

My receiver of choice is a 9 channel Orange RX with satellite receiver and I have an EagleTree 2D/3D stabilizer packaged into the mix. If you haven't tried the EagleTree stabilizer, you should consider it. Wing leveling mode will smooth out your landings even in high wind and 3D mode lets you perform more difficult maneuvers with ease.

I want to thank Scott for the excellent build plans and sharing them with us all. From the videos posted here, I have no doubt mine will fly just fine and gives me a nice change of pace from what I've been flying lately.
Apr 14, 2013, 04:22 PM
Russ,
I like your video--it really shows off how slowly this plane can fly. We want more, hopefully with water.

Flash,
Your plane looks great. I was glad to see the wing spar in your pictures; I was a little concerned when your under-construction photos didn't show one. It looks like that servo tray works well. Thanks for the Sketchup files for those who can use it.

Scott & Bill,
Looking forward to watching your builds come along.

Scott
Apr 14, 2013, 04:53 PM
I posted updated sketchup files on the Phlatforum and gave you some more exposure. http://phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9573

Hopefully, you will get some additional builders as there are quite a lot of fellows with CNC machines there. We are a lazy bunch and like cutting our foam with the aide of a computer.

The servo tray is a bit tricky. You have to get all the linkages hooked up and servos centered with your transmitter before you glue it in. I use a real thin wire for my linkage and encase it in thin tubes. I use Dubro control rod connectors to allow final adjusting when ready to trim it out.

As to the carbon fiber... I had to make a run to the hobby shop for them so they were not in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott swanson
Russ,
I like your video--it really shows off how slowly this plane can fly. We want more, hopefully with water.

Flash,
Your plane looks great. I was glad to see the wing spar in your pictures; I was a little concerned when your under-construction photos didn't show one. It looks like that servo tray works well. Thanks for the Sketchup files for those who can use it.

Scott & Bill,
Looking forward to watching your builds come along.

Scott
Apr 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
Got to try it off water today. Works great!!! Here are the videos. Sorry for so many. I was trying to show the different ways it will fly.
slowboat water1 (2 min 47 sec)

slowboat water2 (2 min 1 sec)

slowboat water3 (3 min 20 sec)

slowboat water 4 (0 min 58 sec)
Apr 17, 2013, 08:49 AM
Great flying Russ, enjoyed your videos... I don't think you could ask for anything more from a flying boat.

A couple of quesions about your build--- Did you use two aileron servos or one?

How about the wing dihedral 2 inches? Did you put something on the belly as a skid?

I'm glueing mine up now should have it ready to go in a couple of days.

Bill
Apr 17, 2013, 09:44 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
would love a set of PDF plans for this full size or even tiled!
Apr 17, 2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks Bill. I used 2 servos on the ailerons and the 2" dihedral. I use the plastic file folder on the bottom for wear protection. Very tough and cheap.
Apr 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
Russ,

I hope you are enjoying the plane as much as I am enjoying your videos.

Thanks,
Scott
Apr 17, 2013, 12:00 PM
Here is a full sized tiled PDF of sheet 3 of the plans (that's the cut pattern page).
See also post #45 for an untiled version.

A few caveats:

1. This is a second generation PDF (I don't have the technology to go directly from CAD to a tiled PDF), so there may be some degradation in accuracy.

2. I built my plane from the dimensions, so this is untried.

3. There are some blank pages.

Edit 10/4/14:
Don't count on your printer printing a tiled drawing exactly the same as the software that tiled it. Printing sheet 3 from the .pdf plans in Post #1 at 500% is a better option.

Scott
Last edited by scott swanson; Oct 04, 2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added ref to post #1
Apr 18, 2013, 09:38 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
thanks VERY much for the effort....now gotta print them all out and try it out lol!
Apr 18, 2013, 11:39 AM
Got off to a rough start, but made up for it today. Two days ago, I launched the maiden flight and flew for about 5 minutes (without using the EagleTree stabilizer I had built in).

Second Flight ended up in a crash when I accidentally hit the 3D switch instead of the dual rate switch for the aileron which as right next to it.

Turns out I had not set the roll gyro correctly and it spiraled out of control before I realized what was causing it.

Fortunately, the damage was minimal and a bit of Gorilla glue had it patched up again in no time.

I was about to take it back up for the third time and that was when I noticed the roll gyro was reversed. After a simple twist of the screwdriver, the gyro was re-optimized for level flight.

I love the EagleTree 2D/3D stabilizers, but they are just another tool at our disposal and if you are not careful, they can work against you as they did in this case, but when setup properly, they can make your piloting skills look really professional.

My third flight was picture perfect. There was and always is it seems, a good deal of wind present around here. The EagleTree smooths out the ruffles when activated and its like flying in no wind at all.

Did the usual rolls and loops with no effort at all. Landing on the grass with the 2D wing leveling enabled was smooth as silk.

I did not notice any bad tendencies with this plane even without the stabilizer engaged.

So far, I have only flown and landed over terra firma. Wanted to wait for a little less wind before venturing to the water and to make sure everything was trimmed out properly.

I can see this plane becoming another of my favorites.

Many thanks again to Scott for sharing this one. Guys, if you are still thinking about building one of these, now is the time to get on with it. Summer is coming and this will make an excellent addition to your fleet.
Apr 18, 2013, 10:04 PM

Question about aileron setup.

Hi guys a question for everyone that has finished and flown their Slowboat.

Are you using any differential in the ailerons, or do you have the same amount of deflection in both the up and down direction of the ailerons?

Mine will be done soon, really looking forward to giving it a go,

Bill