Sep 08, 2018, 07:20 AM
Pretty cool circles on the grass! Looks like a putting green. Our grass at the field is never that short!

My 67% SB is made of 6 mm MPF. I just used 1 mm x 6 mm flat CF for the spar and sandwiched it between some 1/8" lite ply for a joiner in the middle. Pretty strong, haven't broken it yet!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2018, 02:26 PM
Innovator
I have a balance question.
How do you guys "hold" the plane for balancing? Do you balance the plane when it is upside down for the pendulum effect? Do you use pencils and erasers or just your finger tips? Do you use a string or thread glued into fuselage at CG (I do that a lot with my indoor foamy planes, works great, see pics below.)

I'm finalizing rear servo placement based on 2200 battery in nose, but I need a Good way to check it...
perhaps I'll try my thread method ?

Danford1
Last edited by danford1; Sep 12, 2018 at 08:34 PM.
Sep 12, 2018, 08:42 PM
index fingers work really well for me . Needs some practice I think.
Sep 12, 2018, 09:33 PM
Innovator
OK, right side up? Do you do it on the wing tips or close to the fuselage?
With the high motor mount it seems like upside down would be better and fingers close to the fuselage...
Thoughts?
Sep 13, 2018, 10:48 AM
Letís eschew obfuscation.
I balance upright, finger tips under the wing near the fuse. The attitude is with the horizontal tail level. Right on the spar is good for first flights; about 1 finger width behind the spar is better once you get used to it.

Scott
Sep 13, 2018, 12:49 PM
Retired CAD guy
Hey, all you South East Slowboat owners ,

We are pulling for you.
We're thinking about you.

Stay safe and let us know how you are doing !

Best of Luck with this ordeal.
Sep 13, 2018, 10:01 PM
Innovator
I balanced it upside down on the spar for the first flight. The weather wasn't great and it was cloudy, a bit foggy and about to rain but I got in a decent flight.
I'll post the video below in case any one wants to watch it.

I misspoke a few times in the video as I was concentrating more on flying than talking. Anyway here is the correct info:
DVS 2830 1000kv motor, 2200 mah 3S battery, APC slow fly 10X4.7 prop, (4) T-Pro metal gear 9g servos, Orange receiver, 20A Birdie ESC. Ready to fly weight is 20.8 oz with 2200 battery, 18.4 oz with 1300 mah battery.
I put a KFM2 step on the top of the wing to help add some stiffness as the 0.157 carbon tube was flexing more than I was comfortable with.
The DVS motor came from Amazon. My test data showed it weighed 61.3g with wire connectors and prop adapter. With the 10x4.7 prop it was 13.1 A, 155 W and made 1lb 13.8 ounces of thrust. It has plenty of power for vertical flight and flew well on half power.
I simply top mounted the aileron servos instead of trying to hide them. I have a few sea planes like that with no issues...

Next I'll add some colored packaging tape to dress it up a little.

Danford1

Slow Boat Maiden Flight (9 min 25 sec)
Last edited by danford1; Sep 13, 2018 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply