Jun 20, 2013, 07:13 AM
so nice aircraft.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2013, 07:09 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus
Looks great! Do you have any photos of your servo/torque tube layout? Look forward to your flight reports and video. I hope the weather co-operates.
Flight report? She flys just fine

Video? Attached. Listen carefully to peanut gallery comments, I mean flying buddies comments toward the end.

Thanks Scott

(4 min 36 sec)
Jun 22, 2013, 07:20 AM
Aus
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Fantastic!

Glad you had great conditions. I bet you've convinced a few others to build one.
Jun 22, 2013, 07:56 AM

Baby Boat

Cigars are being sent out.

Its a Baby Boat!

Its not a great flyer yet however. It must be flown very fast to stay airborne, but it was fun to build just the same.
Jun 22, 2013, 08:12 AM

Bad Crash

Note the right half of the elevator is down while the left side is not. I thought I had fixed that earlier, but apparently not. While trying to pull up, I was at full throttle just prior to hitting the ground.

The baby (see image background of slowboat in the trunk of my car) survived, however, the battery, prop, and one servo of the ill fated slowboat did not.

The wing and tail section are recoverable, but a new fuselage will have to be built. It was almost a total loss.

And it had been flying so well....
Jun 22, 2013, 11:13 AM

SlowBoat Build

My first post. I am an Oconee Eagle club member with Scott and decided to build a SlowBoat after watching Scott fly his. So I thought I would share my experience with the group.

I built it from Depron foam sheet but used CA and epoxy for all joints as I do not like Gorilla glue. I used CF in the wing and horiz stabilizer into grooves cut on a drill press as Scott described. I had an extra HK 480 motor, so I used that for power with an 10x4.3 prop. In order to mount the motor I constructed two 1/32" alum sheet brackets and epoxied them in place. This allowed me to use the standard motor mount and screws. Using a HK 45A ESC and 2200mah battery. The plane weighs in at 24oz. w/battery. It started out considerably tail heavy so the larger battery balanced that out.

I used Scotch Extreme tape for all the hinges and Robart control horns to servos. I regret using very inexpensive HK servos (3 for $10) as they will be hard to replace but no problem so far. After a couple initial flights I felt the ESC was getting too warm so I added an air scoop to the front hatch. The front hatch is hinged and held down with small magnets.

After reading the posts with wing breaks and my additional weight, I decided to add CF wing struts which made the wings very strong. I would highly recommend this modification.

I have flown the plane several times and it flies very well. I have also flown it off the water and it works well. A very nice design from Scott.
Jun 22, 2013, 09:42 PM
Letís eschew obfuscation.
Thread OP
nrg2go, that is a great video. Try pushing your battery back about half an inch and see if it will wing skim to the right better. I feel kind of silly coaching you on this--you do it much better than I do. I finally got enough nerve to try wing skimming on grass at our flying field, and it actually works OK.

Flash, congratulations on your new baby boat, and commiserations on your crash. I believe you may be the first to crash two SlowBoats.

Gary, I already knew your plane flew well, but thanks for sharing with the group.

Scott
Jun 22, 2013, 09:55 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott swanson
nrg2go, that is a great video. Try pushing your battery back about half an inch and see if it will wing skim to the right better. I feel kind of silly coaching you on this--you do it much better than I do. I finally got enough nerve to try wing skimming on grass at our flying field, and it actually works OK.

Flash, congratulations on your new baby boat, and commiserations on your crash. I believe you may be the first to crash two SlowBoats.

Gary, I already knew your plane flew well, but thanks for sharing with the group.

Scott
OK thanks I'll try moving it aft a little at a time. I balanced her on the spar for the maiden and thought she was a little tail heavy so I moved the pack forward a little on the maiden. Tended to want to lift her nose all the time. I should also re-check the right and down thrust angles in case that's also contributing.

Off grass!!! Really? Must be nice and smooth, I wouldn't be game.
Jun 22, 2013, 11:14 PM
Barnwell, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go
Flight report? She flys just fine

Video? Attached. Listen carefully to peanut gallery comments, I mean flying buddies comments toward the end.

Thanks Scott

Nice flying NRG2GO. We had another Slowboat at our pond today. I had my camera and forgot to take the pic! I've passed the patterns off to two other interested parties, so we should have a small fleet of them soon.
Jun 24, 2013, 08:28 PM
Subsequent investigation has revealed the reason for the latest crash was due to the Guardian 2D/3D flight stabilization system I employed in the slowboat.

After talking to Eagle Tree, I found out the crash occurred as a result of me not resetting the stabilizer after making trim adjustments in a previous flight.

Switching to 2D (wing leveling) mode, my stabilizer settings were now incorrect and the plane started a 15 degree dive.

It turns out that the gain settings for the stabilizer can also drive the servo travel further in 3D mode than it does when disabled or in 2D mode.

In a panic, I flipped a switch in an attempt to disable the stabilizer and overshot, putting it into 3D mode which applied even more down elevator than was present in 2D mode! I did not have enough elevator travel dialed in on my rates to overcome the dive I was in and it only takes a second or two to be in the ground in this situation.

I have learned a lot about stabilization systems as a result of the crash. Too bad I had to loose such a nice plane in the process, but I will rebuild another one soon. The wing, rudder and elevator sections are all intact so its just a matter of building a new fuse around them. Waiting on a foam order to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott swanson
Scott
Jun 24, 2013, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsolutions
Subsequent investigation has revealed the reason for the latest crash was due to the Guardian 2D/3D flight stabilization system I employed in the slowboat.

After talking to Eagle Tree, I found out the crash occurred as a result of me not resetting the stabilizer after making trim adjustments in a previous flight.

Switching to 2D (wing leveling) mode, my stabilizer settings were now incorrect and the plane started a 15 degree dive.

It turns out that the gain settings for the stabilizer can also drive the servo travel further in 3D mode than it does when disabled or in 2D mode.

In a panic, I flipped a switch in an attempt to disable the stabilizer and overshot, putting it into 3D mode which applied even more down elevator than was present in 2D mode! I did not have enough elevator travel dialed in on my rates to overcome the dive I was in and it only takes a second or two to be in the ground in this situation.

I have learned a lot about stabilization systems as a result of the crash. Too bad I had to loose such a nice plane in the process, but I will rebuild another one soon. The wing, rudder and elevator sections are all intact so its just a matter of building a new fuse around them. Waiting on a foam order to get started.

Depending on your radio, you can dial in expo and low rates and this plane will fly like a pussycat. You could have crashed yourself without the "Help" of a stabilization system.
Jun 25, 2013, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14
Depending on your radio, you can dial in expo and low rates and this plane will fly like a pussycat. You could have crashed yourself without the "Help" of a stabilization system.
Rates and expo really don't address high wind. When they are setup properly, stabilization systems take away the constant fight with the wind buffetting the plane around and actually make flying less stressfull.

It is just another tool, like expo, dual rates, and other digital offerings in todays transmitters.

But yes, I agree, its not something one really needs to fly the slowboat, but I just wanted another new toy to play with. Its a learning experience.
Jun 25, 2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsolutions
Rates and expo really don't address high wind. When they are setup properly, stabilization systems take away the constant fight with the wind buffetting the plane around and actually make flying less stressfull.

It is just another tool, like expo, dual rates, and other digital offerings in todays transmitters.

But yes, I agree, its not something one really needs to fly the slowboat, but I just wanted another new toy to play with. Its a learning experience.
I know what you mean and after reading my last post I didnt mean to sound condecending or anything. I have also thought about using a stabilization or gyro once in a while, I just thought it redundent on the Slowboat. I actually maidened mine on a pretty windy day and was surprized at how stable it was, hence my comment. I love all the TOYS in this hobby, meters, temp gauges, eagle tree, etc. I love playing with all of it. I just hate when a crash is caused by the added unit. We have one guy at my field that has crashed his heli I don't know how many times dialing in the flybarless system. But the system is amazing on what it does, when it does it right.

So again, sorry didn't want to sound like a "Turd", I hate when people put others down for having fun in this hobby.
Jun 25, 2013, 08:35 PM
No offense taken. I post my mistakes along with my successes in hopes if it saves even one plane from the same fate, it has served a purpose.

We have quite a few older fellows in our club, so experimentation with the stabilizers has been something a couple of us have been playing with so we can help setup planes for others who want to take advantage of them.

We have tried the HobbyKing $20 stabilizers and they work well for smoothing out the bumps in the wind. Quite a few of the guys in our club are now using them. The Eagle Tree stabilizers on the other hand are a whole different story since they can actually put a plane in level flight simply by turning loose of the sticks. This can be a great asset for new pilots.

But as we are finding out, you have to be vigilant in setting up the stabilizers and following a few simple steps before you are ready to enable them. There are also some advanced settings that can be setup to fine tune the performance and it takes some experimenting to learn all there is to know about the little jewels.

Having them in planes I fly most of the time anyway gives me a chance to try out different things to see how they work. Not to mention they make me look good when they are working

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14
So again, sorry didn't want to sound like a "Turd", I hate when people put others down for having fun in this hobby.
Jun 25, 2013, 11:36 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
I want to scale one to 20-22in using 6410NBL rcvr and 8gr 180 with 1.7gr servos plus 2s 200 to 250 LiPo . Are there any opinions on Fly ability or a better scale suggestion.

Quick Reply