Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:02 AM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Build Log

DeHavilland Turbo Beaver @ 60"

It's been a long time coming, but I have finally started construction on the 60" Beaver. She'll be set up on wheels, skis, and floats once it's all said and done.

Construction begins with the flaps. This time, rather then going with the typical flat faced lower hinge arrangement, these will be set up Fowler style using robart pin hinges which requires a little different construction style. The basic flap assembly is wood with a blue foam leading edge so that the flap can be shaped to the required airfoil. The basic assembly is done, will fill in the foam bits in a bit.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:04 AM

Building the Ailerons

Nothing fancy here, just the typical top hinge style -- simle, and it always works.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:11 AM

Building the Wings

Construction begins with the main and rear spars. Since the parts are cut on 24" sheets, they are done in 2 parts that are joined with a scarf joint at the outboard end. The sections were pinned in place over the plan and glued together.

Once the spars are done the basic assembly was laid out and glued up. The egg-crate style of construction brings things together quickly.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:16 AM

Finishing the Wings

The panels were sanded to shape and the joiner tubes added. Once that was done, the foam flap leading edges were glued in place abd trhe final sanding and shaping done on both the flaps and ailerons. From there the hinges were inserted to complet the process.

Next up we'll get started on the tail section.

PAT
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Oh yeah, can't complain about a Canadian Beaver!!
Any chances of the radial option on it as well?
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
The turbine version? Interesting choice. At least with an electric motor it will sound more scale. Everybody that watches a Beaver from the ground likes the radial version. Anybody that has to fly or ride in them on a regular basis much prefers the turbine!
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Hi Pat,
Now That will be a nice DeHavilland Turbo Beaver @ 60" Wow thats large Airplane for you
Joe
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by FrankSteffens
This is gonna be awesome! Can't wait to see it finished, because hopefully that means I can buy one!
Old Apr 02, 2013, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by Yankeeone
Hey Pat, you're using the same type of hinge system hat was used on my Top Flite P-47. I was a little dubious at first but the first time I used the flaps - WOW!! I also used a LITTLE more flap than recommended. I used approx. 75 degrees versus the 40-45 degrees per the plan. I looked at the real plane and this used a BUNCH of flap. What the heck - I tried it and it worked. I was able to do 45 degree landing approaches with no problems. With flaps down it flew like a trainer. Did need about 5% down elevator but that was all. On this light of a model you should be almost able to stop in mid-air. Great touch, can't wait to see the results.

TTFN The Yank
Old Apr 02, 2013, 06:15 PM
IWC
Find More Posts by IWC
IWC
subscribed
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by WINDLESS
Ohh boy!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 03, 2013, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
The Turbo Beaver is my favorite plane of all. At your typical weights, she will be a super flyer. Looking forward to seeing the build progress. Doug B
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by Biggz
I've been awaiting this build for some time now since I heard you had it in the works!

Absolutely Subscribed..........
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by bdshort
Dangit!! I might have to get this one too! I'm used to seeing lots of regular beavers where I live, so the turbo is definitely something different.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
It's been a long time coming, but I have finally started construction on the 60" Beaver.
Yay! I was looking forward to this build.