New Aluminum Brushless Gimbals - RC Groups
Mar 31, 2013, 04:42 AM
New Product

New Aluminum Brushless Gimbals

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get some input from the community regarding a pair of aluminum gimbals that I produced last week. See photos attached. The motor mounts should be able to accept most brushless motors as they are already, but I've got a few 3D printers that I can make any necessary adapters in just a few minutes.

The small one for the Hero3 (or other compact cameras) weighs around 95g (without motors or controller), and is fully adjustable to allow precise camera balancing. The weight can be reduced significantly by shortening the vertical arm and decreasing the amount of material in the cross-shaped frame mount. However, the longer the vertical arm, the less likely that props will be in the way.... and the cross-shaped mount is meant to be flexible in terms of frame mounting options.

The large one easily holds my Nikon D7000 + Sigma 15mm lens (just over 1100g), with only a little bit of flex in the frame. It is also fully adjustable to attain perfect camera balance around each motor axis. The frame with hardware (no motors or controller) is around 185g.

I've already got a few AlexMos controllers here, but I'm still waiting for motors and more controllers to arrive.

What would you change? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

16/04/2013: ADDED TEST VIDEO - Rotorpixel.com Gimbal Lite for compact cameras:

Rotorpixel Gimbal Lite - Test 1 w/DJI Phantom (4 min 30 sec)

25/04/2013: ADDED TEST VIDEO - Rotorpixel.com Gimbal Lite outdoor test:

Rotorpixel Gimbal Lite - Test 2 w/DJI Phantom (2 min 59 sec)

01/10/2013: ADDED TUTORIAL VIDEO - Rotorpixel Brushless Gimbal Hero 3: setup + Installation

Rotorpixel Brushless Gimbal Hero 3: Setup + Installation (1 hr 0 min 2 sec)
Last edited by reefnet; Oct 01, 2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Consolidating photos/videos to first post
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2013, 05:30 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Nice work! The only thing I can see 'wrong' is that many cameras have the tripod mount well offset from the centre, so your platform with the four slots might not fit some cameras.
Mar 31, 2013, 09:23 AM
Registerer Used
They look very nice
For heavy cameras though, you may consider helping the roll motor work by adding something attached to the end of its axis, itself attached to the vertical arm... Sorry, hard to explain, but simple thing!
I've attached a quick drawing of what i mean, sorry for the quality of it, but it figures what I wanted to explain. A small alu piece with a bearing for the motor axis, and two stand-offs for it to be attached firmly to the vertical arm.

Great work

Cheers
Last edited by milouze; Mar 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Mar 31, 2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the input, guys!

milouze - I understand what you're saying. That's a great idea. I'm not sure how much radial force the bearings in most motors are able to take, but this modification would certainly alleviate some stress.

GordonTarling - Are you talking about the DSLR version, or the compact version?
Mar 31, 2013, 01:48 PM
Part 107 Certified
Very nice looking. I like that the mounts are adjustable. What would be the prices with motors and no controller? When would you be able to ship the Hero 3 version?
Mar 31, 2013, 02:07 PM
Part 107 Certified
opps, double post
Mar 31, 2013, 02:31 PM
The gimbal frames are ready to ship this week, but I haven't received a shipment of motors or controllers to make completed assemblies yet. Haven't settled on pricing yet though...

I'm in the process of setting up an online store where they can be purchased, so I'll post that information here when it's ready!
Mar 31, 2013, 02:54 PM
Favorited
Mar 31, 2013, 03:25 PM
Which motors to use for the gopro gimbal?
Mar 31, 2013, 03:56 PM
Part 107 Certified
What about changing the support arm slightly to create 4 mounting holes for the controller on the arm. This way the cables can be short and neat. No need to have all three sets of wires going all the way up to the helicopter.

The small one looks like it is worth $99 and the large one $175, motors additional.
Mar 31, 2013, 04:07 PM
In the images attached, I didn't have motors yet, so I 3D printed dimensionally accurate replicas and used them to assemble the system.

I am manually rewinding these motors now:

For HERO3 gimbal:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=17588

For DSLR gimbal:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=23838

But, I am waiting for the RCTimer gimbal motors to arrive... they are inexpensive, and hopefully effective!
Mar 31, 2013, 04:10 PM
I was going to include a mounting spot for the controller, but decided instead to produce a 3D printed case for it which can be attached anywhere on the system. Same for the IMU.

I'm not sure about the pricing yet...
Apr 01, 2013, 03:25 AM
What are some typical thread specifications of popular motors on the market?

Also, what hole mounting patterns would be the most useful for everyone? I've tried to make the mounts on these gimbals universal, but the motors with 3 mounting holes make it a little tricky.

Thanks for all of the PMs from everyone! I'll have a site up with more information and photos of these gimbals very soon!
Apr 01, 2013, 04:01 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefnet
GordonTarling - Are you talking about the DSLR version, or the compact version?
Both my Sony NEX5 and my Panasonic LX3 have tripod mounts that are well offset, so whichever version would suit those. Most DSLRs have the tripod mount fairly close to the centre.
Apr 01, 2013, 04:10 AM
Richard in Bangkok
Nice design here !

Have you thought about doing an intermediate size gimbal to fit medium sized cameras such as the NEX 5 ? All of the other gimbals in the works seem to have these 3 size options. Also, you will have to consider some sort of vibration damper to reduce the jello effect in recorded video.

While there may be some people who will be happy to buy this kind of thing in kit form, I think the biggest market will be for the complete item, with all parts included especially the vibration mount part as I mentioned and I think that a price point of 500$ to 800$ for the gopro and NEX 5 versions is not unreasonable, especially if you include detailed instructions on how to set it up, balance the camera and tune the PID settings.