May 13, 2013, 12:01 AM
Old skool speed freak!
Thread OP
Thanks Dave!
What I wouldn't give to know what kinda lap times i were running today!
I'm guessing low 50's or high 40's.
Which probably means the fast guys would be ripping 30's!! lol
Had a blast doing some big air aerobatics needless to say.

See ya next weekend,

MR
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2013, 09:45 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Thread OP

You want wind???

Today was an epic day for wind!

I got to the Slot around 930 am, and it was blowin average 50 mph, with gusts touching 70's !!

A few guys were brave enough to stick their big toe into the wind, so to speak!
Ron Van was 1st one there, and I got there soon after and Ron says to me, can you toss my plane? It was too windy even for Ron to toss his own plane! lol

So we had our new member induction meeting, then we were kinda waiting for the wind to die a little,......but to no avail.
In fact, it had picked up a little! I saw a gust to 78mph!
I decided that I wanted to take my plane home in one piece today and quickly backed out! I figured I would watch and learn from the experts!

The video below is of Ken doing a practice run. I later found out he borrowed some more ballast to put in his plane, because he did not have enough! lol

Ken practicing in 60 mph wind! (0 min 54 sec)

The picture below is of Ron checking out how much wind there is at the lip!

On a side note, just before I left at about 3pm, I noticed it getting really strong, and ran out with the meter and saw 85,...90,.....95,.....then Blank! The meter pegged out at 100mph!!

UNBAFREAKINLEAVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 09, 2013, 10:20 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM

F3F Race Results at the Slot - 6/9/13

1st -  Ken Gregory - Freestyler 4 - 6792.17 (Fastest time today - 30.97)
2nd - Ron Vann - Freestyler 4 -  6782.42 (Best time - 33.03)
3rd -  Steve Situm - Pike Precision - 6284.97 (Best time - 35.34)
4th -  David Olson  -  Freestyler 4 - 5810.54 (Best time - 39.48)
5th - James Mueller - Tanga - 5613.23 (Best time - 37.56)
6th -  Shawn Davison - Marin - 5605.57 (Best time - 42.66)

Fastest Times:

Round 1: Ron Vann - 36.82
Round 2: Ron Vann - 34.90
Round 3: Steve Situm - 40.75
Round 4: Ken Gregory - 30.97
Round 5: Ken Gregory - 36.84
Round 6: Ron Vann - 35.93
Round 7: Ken Gregory - 38.27
Round 8: Ron Vann - 33.79

Ken had 6 of 8 rounds in the 30's
Ron had 5 of 8 rounds in the 30's
Steve had 2 of 8 rounds in the 30's

More photos to come and video. What a day!

First the ISR and now today! I get a new adrenaline gland next Wednesday.

Teaser photo:
Jun 09, 2013, 10:27 PM
What an epic day! I think we should name this race "The Leaning Man". It's all we did all day just to walk around! I think Ken set a new hill record, 30.97 I believe it was. Just incredible! Experiencing 100+mph winds was insane. Flying in 70+ was a real challenge, especially landing which I was 0 for 2. I looks like a clevis failed on the right flap on the Marin. What an incredible, insane day. We'll be talking about this one for years!
Jun 09, 2013, 10:44 PM

F3F Results 6-9-13 for the brave few:

We can all "what if" ourselves to death:
Jun 09, 2013, 10:59 PM
Great flying today Ken.

Tungsten baby!
Jun 09, 2013, 11:15 PM
Is it DS'able?
What a radical day at The Slot today! Thanks for everybody's hard work out there... Mike for sitting at Base A, Mo for sitting in the chair all day, all the launches and coaching, etc...

I'm sure more than a few PB's were had today, I certainly managed to pull one out. They were very difficult conditions to say the least. The speed was there if you could get past the leaning and dancing around with the wind, trying to hear the beeps over the howl of the wind, and just trying to keep your plane on course and not blown back into the slope. Some fine piloting skills were put to the test and rewarded today, great job guys everyone!

Here are a few shots I managed to snap between rounds.

-James
Last edited by wr_mizzard; Jun 10, 2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Mike, not Rich sat at Base A all day. I kept calling him Rich though :/
Jun 09, 2013, 11:30 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Thread OP
Wow! good shot of Mo reacting to one of Shawns one point landings!

That was closer than what it looked like from base A!

Mike R
Jun 09, 2013, 11:44 PM
Dave's friend told me it was gusting to 74 while I was trying to land, and I was way too light. At least it was the only serious casualty of the day.

I think that's about the same place I stuffed the Radical last year. The CD's might want to sit on my left from now on...

Great pic, the camera couldn't have clicked at a better moment!!!
Jun 09, 2013, 11:54 PM
I have never seen anyone have to lean so radically to stay in one place. Great job James.
Jun 09, 2013, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn in NorCal
Dave's friend told me it was gusting to 74 while I was trying to land, and I was way too light. At least it was the only serious casualty of the day.

I think that's about the same place I stuffed the Radical last year. The CD's might want to sit on my left from now on...

Great pic, the camera couldn't have clicked at a better moment!!!
James,

One in a million shot of that landing. Amazing timing for "getting that shot". Extremely hard to get.......

Dave
Jun 10, 2013, 12:20 AM

F3F Personal Bests:

Tim Copp updated the F3F PB Excel File and is posted here.
Jun 10, 2013, 12:24 AM
Dave that's only called a "landing" if your flying TD.

Where was Tim today?? He missed all the fun!
Jun 10, 2013, 12:46 AM
Still practicing the "save"
Absolutely stellar conditions! Usually once it hits about 40mph, the lift is completely gone, just a bunch of wind. The conditions today though, the lift never went away. Great times and I would imagine personal bests for some if not all... Awesome flying guys.

I was laughing watching these guys fly, rolling on the rocks like they were marbles, getting blown backwards while in a lean. James was the only guy flying 72 Mhz and it was crazy watching the lean along with his antenna bending over the top of his head from the wind.
Jun 10, 2013, 01:41 AM
Enjoying the reports from here in Maui. Y'all are hard-frickin-core! Sorry to have missed being there. Wow!

Scott

Quick Reply