Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 14, 2018, 07:39 PM
A God Among Mortals

An Arizona native....

I first saw your product at the Ritewing (rabbit hole) and was thoroughly impressed with its size. I will be ordering one for my A9 in the very near future. After some research it appears that the only receiver is the nano, and in order to get more channels I would use the expander and a nano or an expander and an RFU, is that correct? Also with just the nano has anyone done any type of range testing with them? I am using the Optima receivers and am very happy with their range, will the nano compare with these for range? The cost is much more pocket book friendly...Thanks for some information
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2018, 09:23 PM
You can use multiple Nano receivers to get more channels, but the best route to go is the X10+ with a Nano. That would give you up to 16 channels. Since you have the A9 (max of 9 channels), you could also use our RFU with the X10+.

Range is pretty amazing. We fly our turbine aircraft and glider guys spec out their aircraft with no problems.
May 19, 2018, 10:57 PM
A God Among Mortals
Thank you for the update, i just recieved my unit and i must say the handling and packaging is some of the best attention to product i've seen. I can't wait to try it out in my powered glider. Chris at Ritewing turned me on to this unit and i can say so far i am impressed and i haven't even put it in a plane yet. You have cleared up the concern i had about getting full use of all of my channels on my radio. When the time comes to put it in some of my other planes i will more than likely go with the rfu and the expander. Thank you again
Aug 04, 2018, 08:56 AM
Build more, websurf less
Jim,

Please consider supporting a feature to pass MAVLINK telemetry from a flight controller to an RFU for transmission to the ground-side. Perhaps use the RFU and X10+V2 together to get the physical telemetry connection from the flight controller.

Then on the ground-side module we would need a new connection (wireless would be best) to send the telemetry to a ground control station.

Thanks,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Aug 04, 2018 at 09:18 AM.
Aug 04, 2018, 03:26 PM
There is not enough bandwidth to do that. That's why the Mavlink systems have dedicated modems.
Aug 04, 2018, 04:12 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
There is not enough bandwidth to do that. That's why the Mavlink systems have dedicated modems.
DragonLink and ULRS (DIY) use some amount of bandwidth (unknown) for RC controls and leave 19,200 baud available for telemetry and it works well enough.

Thanks,

Paul
Aug 04, 2018, 11:15 PM
At 19200 baud you would not be getting real-time telemetry, it would be delayed quite a lot. It would take a lot of frames of data at that baud rate in order to get all of a telemetry packet.
Aug 05, 2018, 08:24 AM
Build more, websurf less
I've observed that Mission Planner updates its horizon display in well under a second. The position of the aircraft on the map display runs a second or two behind real time but I suppose that is good enough for hobbyists. I think these delays are mostly from processing on the ground control PC.
Last edited by FlyingW; Aug 05, 2018 at 01:37 PM.
Aug 06, 2018, 03:46 AM
No, they are from the Mavlink interface. This is the problem that drone delivery companies were facing and had to abandon Mavlink because of it.
Aug 06, 2018, 08:11 AM
Build more, websurf less
Is there another specification for a new telemetry protocol or are people writing their own higher-peformance protocols?
Aug 06, 2018, 12:59 PM
They are rolling their own devices, but using the Mavlink protocol on the PC side so they can still use the various flight planner programs.

Quick Reply