Product progress... - Page 4 - RC Groups
Mar 29, 2013, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary
I meant non-standard configuration then, in that it's not readily available. And I would not want, as consumer to mess around with soldering this up or chasing adapters. That would be an irritant. This is in response to the other poster suggesting we could just solder our own. I think a quality soldered 12in fem-fem lead would be optimal.
These are usually not soldered, connectors are crimped. If it is too short, use a normal servo extension wire. It's harder to go the other way.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2013, 08:49 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
The expander board has no RF section so it's pretty much useless without an RFU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Oh no it's not! In fact, we will likely sell far more of these boards than RFU's and Nanos! Why? Because this board works with XPS, JR DMSS, Spektrum, Futaba, Multiplex, and many other receivers.
So aren't those "XPS, JR DMSS, Spektrum, Futaba, Multiplex, and many other receivers" essentially RFUs by others?

Question: You stated that the XPS RFU will support "PPM output for things like flight simulators", so does that also mean that XPS RFU can be used to provide a PPM stream to a Naza-M flight controller (for example)? If so I'm really stoked because it will let us heli and multirotor pilots mount the RFU internally in the frame and have antennas on two separate sides of the frame (ie: top & bottom or front & back, etc).

Or am I missing something here?

Pete
Mar 29, 2013, 08:56 AM
Live for speed
Will this be possible?
Evo 3.4x firmware + original XPS Evo module + RFU + SCU => 10 channel control with telemetry display on Evo's screen.

Also can the SCU be configured to output PPM and/or PWM on specific ports?
Mar 29, 2013, 10:32 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
So aren't those "XPS, JR DMSS, Spektrum, Futaba, Multiplex, and many other receivers" essentially RFUs by others?

Question: You stated that the XPS RFU will support "PPM output for things like flight simulators", so does that also mean that XPS RFU can be used to provide a PPM stream to a Naza-M flight controller (for example)? If so I'm really stoked because it will let us heli and multirotor pilots mount the RFU internally in the frame and have antennas on two separate sides of the frame (ie: top & bottom or front & back, etc).

Or am I missing something here?

Pete
You're missing nothing... you can use the PPM output for NAZA. However, it might be faster if you can use another type of input signal, like S.BUS or Spektrum. I will try to get them to add our format. PPM can be very slow - about 14ms of latency is added by using a PPM stream if they are waiting for all channels to be collected before updating channels. Most things use this method.
Mar 29, 2013, 10:33 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
Will this be possible?
Evo 3.4x firmware + original XPS Evo module + RFU + SCU => 10 channel control with telemetry display on Evo's screen.

Also can the SCU be configured to output PPM and/or PWM on specific ports?
Yes, and yes.
Mar 31, 2013, 08:33 AM
Live for speed
That's encouraging. With the above combo alone - will RX voltage and RSSI be displayed?
Mar 31, 2013, 05:28 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Yes.
Apr 01, 2013, 09:42 AM
XtremeLink South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary
I meant non-standard configuration then, in that it's not readily available. And I would not want, as consumer to mess around with soldering this up or chasing adapters. That would be an irritant. This is in response to the other poster suggesting we could just solder our own. I think a quality soldered 12in fem-fem lead would be optimal.
As you know Jim, I am extremely excited about this product.

But to touch on what TTRotary started, my only concern is that for the average week-end pilot, having to solder power cables to their SCU could be quite daunting. It makes the product not quite plug-and-play i.e. buy the units, mount them, plug the servos and the battery in, and you are ready to go.

Having done a number of "internal conversions" on customers TX's, I am amazed at how many people are reluctant to even open up their TX case, so soldering power cables onto their brand new SCU would not be something they would want to do for each SCU bought.
Apr 01, 2013, 10:15 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
You will be able to order the SCU with power cables already soldered in place. You just need to pick the connector at the other end.
Apr 01, 2013, 10:18 AM
XtremeLink South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
You will be able to order the SCU with power cables already soldered in place. You just need to pick the connector at the other end.
Awesome, I must have missed that bit of very useful information
Apr 01, 2013, 02:45 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
You didn't miss - I neglected to add it until now. The product is kind of still evolving because it is so versatile. For example, one of the features not yet mentioned is the ability for the SCU to take PWM inputs from another receiver and output a PPM stream from what is normally the input port.
Apr 07, 2013, 07:21 AM
Live for speed
Some multicopter FC's require an inverter for the SBus serial stream. Can the RFU do that as a selectable option?
Apr 07, 2013, 04:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
This board does not need an inverter for the S.BUS input. It will be possible to pass the S.BUS signal non-inverted on one of the normal servo ports.
Apr 07, 2013, 06:56 PM
Live for speed
Better and better
Apr 14, 2013, 01:13 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I think you partially answered this in post #58, but can you elaborate a little?:

Will the Expander Board, when used in conjunction with the RFU (or a Nano RX), allow for a combination of PPM (or S.Bus, etc) and PWM output? For example, would it be possible to use PPM/S.Bus output to control a NAZA or MicroBeast and also have some channels assigned as PWM outputs for servos or PicoSwitches?

Pete