Product progress... - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2013, 02:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
One more thing, notice that the SCU's servo pin spacing is wide! This allows for JR servo connectors without them touching each other.
Mar 28, 2013, 02:50 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
I approve
Mar 28, 2013, 04:49 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
I think supplying the 6" would be enough. if they don't get the idea, then there's just 6" of extra wire around... but if they need longer, they could actually use the 6" female-female to plug into a regular extension to get a custom length without crimping. anyone who genuinely gets the idea will probably need a custom wire for every model.
Too short IMO. Given the specialized connector, the desire to get the RFU away from the interference-generating bits, and the 6.5" antenna, I would suggest 12in as a standard length.

"SCU"= the Expander, right? What is the acronym?

Case - I will not want to leave the SCU bare in the plane - too much risk of a short across the pins. So how about one standard slimline hardcase that would easily snap upen and back together. The user can take it from there and modify as needed.

Nomenclature - I'd just stick with standard industry language that everybody can readily understand. I think the RFU should just be labelled Full Range Satellite Transceiver and the "Expander" as the 10-ch Receiver. Or, you could use simple names that stick in memory, such as XTS (Xtreme Transceiver Satellite) for the RFU and XR-10, XR-12, XR-16 for the expander.
Last edited by TTRotary; Mar 28, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Mar 28, 2013, 05:12 PM
Stress Be Gone
GBR2's Avatar
I'd like a case for the Expander unit. I like UCX better than SCU.
Mar 28, 2013, 05:13 PM
Live for speed
GoFaster's Avatar
The active portion of the RFU antennas is the unshielded (white) segment? Do you recommend a perpendicular arrangement?
Mar 28, 2013, 06:24 PM
Registered User
E_ferret's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Just an update for everyone on the progress of the upcoming products.


IThe RFU or Nano to 10 channel expander requires a female to female cable (like a servo extension, but with female connectors on both ends). I have *some* here, but not nearly enough for all of the boards that are coming. I have 6", 12", 24", and 36" lengths currently. Any idea on what the average person is going to want?

.
let people use any standard lead they may have at hand or can buy locally. just provide a 'sex-change' connector, (2 male connectors back-to-back) or just the bits to DIY, i think most people know how to use a soldering iron.
Mar 28, 2013, 06:55 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary
Too short IMO. Given the specialized connector, the desire to get the RFU away from the interference-generating bits, and the 6.5" antenna, I would suggest 12in as a standard length.
It's not a specialized connector. It's a standard servo pin configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary
"SCU"= the Expander, right? What is the acronym?
SCU = Servo Control Unit


Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary
Case - I will not want to leave the SCU bare in the plane - too much risk of a short across the pins. So how about one standard slimline hardcase that would easily snap upen and back together. The user can take it from there and modify as needed.
I likely won't be making a hard case, at least not initially. I have designed an acetate origami style case that will protect the board. These worked well with our original 6 channel and 8 channel sailplane receivers.
Mar 28, 2013, 06:57 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
The active portion of the RFU antennas is the unshielded (white) segment? Do you recommend a perpendicular arrangement?
Yes, it helps having them perpendicular... but the range with this thing is so severe that I had to do all of my testing with low transmitter power and NO antennas connected.
Mar 28, 2013, 07:21 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
It's not a specialized connector. It's a standard servo pin configuration.
I meant non-standard configuration then, in that it's not readily available. And I would not want, as consumer to mess around with soldering this up or chasing adapters. That would be an irritant. This is in response to the other poster suggesting we could just solder our own. I think a quality soldered 12in fem-fem lead would be optimal.
Mar 28, 2013, 07:55 PM
Build more, websurf less
FlyingW's Avatar
What are the rules for placing the antennae? Please see the diagram below.

Does the entire 6-1/2" length of each antenna have to be perpendicular? Or, is there an active portion at the tip that is best placed perpendicular?
Last edited by FlyingW; Mar 28, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Mar 28, 2013, 09:53 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
What are the rules for placing the antennae? Please see the diagram below.

Does the entire 6-1/2" length of each antenna have to be perpendicular? Or, is there an active portion at the tip that is best placed perpendicular?
the whole antenna is active, so the first option on the left would be the most optimal.
Mar 28, 2013, 10:24 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary
I meant non-standard configuration then, in that it's not readily available. And I would not want, as consumer to mess around with soldering this up or chasing adapters. That would be an irritant. This is in response to the other poster suggesting we could just solder our own. I think a quality soldered 12in fem-fem lead would be optimal.
Hmmm... I think they are very common, even our tiny local hobby store has them. They are just another type of servo extension. They are VERY common among the multi-rotor 'copter crowd as that is what is used to connect the receiver to the flight control board.
Mar 28, 2013, 10:26 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
With 2.4GHz antennas (all radio brands), only the white (stripped) portion is the antenna, so that is the only part that needs to be away from the other antenna, and perpendicular for optimal reception.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:23 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
With 2.4GHz antennas (all radio brands), only the white (stripped) portion is the antenna, so that is the only part that needs to be away from the other antenna, and perpendicular for optimal reception.
cool, good to know


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Progress of skills, what order to learn progressively hard manuvers? learn2turn 3D Flying 20 Jul 22, 2011 11:42 PM
RBC Beaufighter (work in progress!, long progress) Stuart Warne Scale Kit/Scratch Built 10 Apr 13, 2003 09:33 AM