Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
go to bottom of this page and click on the blue "Return to Xtreme Power Systems"
Then go to the second page and click on the thread "AMA Expo 2013"
then at the top of page under the page numbers click on "Thread Tools" Then click on Show attachments to this thread. and you will see a picture of the RFU hooked up to an xpander board. (second picture) the wire goes off picture but i was there at the show and it is one unbroken wire going no ware else.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2013, 11:40 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen
And if using other brands of Rx, isolating power is just a matter of removing +V wire from the connection and power the Rx on any of it's other outputs.
True. It's also possible to cut a trace and solder bridge a point to convert the output for the expander unit to give you 3.3v instead of the input voltage. This is necessary when using a Spektrum satellite receiver as the input device.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:45 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the RFU?
The RFU is the "receiver". It's like a satellite receiver, but it is the full receiver portion with a single output port that is used to communicate with the expander. The idea is that 2.4GHz installation is critical. Back in the days of 72MHz (remember those?) we could just plug our servos into the receiver, throw the mess of wires in the bottom of the plane and then run that 3 foot antenna down the fuse or over the the wing somewhere. With the advent of 2.4GHz systems, you have to get the receiver away from all of the wiring. To do that, we have to use long servo extensions and move the receiver out into the open. I am changing that. The RFU can be placed anywhere in your aircraft, connected to the servo control unit (expander) via a single servo extension. You can connect your servos to the expander with minimal or no extensions, as we did in the past and throw it in the bottom of the plane. The receiver portion will be free and clear of the 'mess'.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:46 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR

So what are the chances of getting a couple mounting holes like that in the new Nanos so we can mount 'em with a couple nylon screws and standoffs?

Pete
Sorry, Pete. The Nano can't change because it is FCC certified as-is.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:53 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
The expander board has no RF section so it's pretty much useless without an RFU.
Oh no it's not! In fact, we will likely sell far more of these boards than RFU's and Nanos! Why? Because this board works with XPS, JR DMSS, Spektrum, Futaba, Multiplex, and many other receivers. It will except many different types of input signals and drive servos. This is a way that you can safely power a bunch of servos, setup channel mapping, servo reversing, matching, failsafes, etc. for just about any brand of radio.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Oh no it's not! In fact, we will likely sell far more of these boards than RFU's and Nanos! Why? Because this board works with XPS, JR DMSS, Spektrum, Futaba, Multiplex, and many other receivers. It will except many different types of input signals and drive servos. This is a way that you can safely power a bunch of servos, setup channel mapping, servo reversing, matching, failsafes, etc. for just about any brand of radio.
With that feature, you should try to work wording like Universal into the naming so people know that it isn't just for your own products. Xpander-U or UCX (Universal Channel Xpander)
Mar 28, 2013, 12:00 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang
I count 11 outputs, 1 for Telem/Batt?? If you don't use the 12awg holes then something like a 2s A123 pack plugged into one of the outputs will power the system? I can't see any regulator onboard so batt voltage goes to servos and rfu? And I see a switch and led, so some programmability? Will current Nanos work?

Looks good

12awg, I use that for 50-60A, that's a lot for servo power.
The holes will handle 12 awg, but 14-16awg is plenty. Remember, servo pins are only good for about 5A each.

11 pins is 10 channel + XPS/JR DMSS telemetry interface. Yes, input voltage goes directly to the servos. There is a regulator on the board, 100mA which is overkill to power the CPU, LED, and Spektrum satellite receiver support.

Programming can be done through the switch and RGB LED, or via the serial interface and a PC. Yes, the Nano will with the PPM output right now, and I am working on a firmware upgrade to give it the "Xtreme" protocol that the RFU outputs normally.

The RFU can be used with Spektrum compatible devices, such as flight stabilizers, auto-pilots, etc. that support Spektrum satellite receiver input. The RFU can also output S-BUS directly, so you can plug it into an S-BUS system and replace the Futaba receiver. There is also support for Multiplex SLRX protocol, and of course PPM output for things like flight simulators.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:02 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
So does the RFU link up with the main receiver like a nano or do they work independently and you do the binding on the transmitter?
RFU binding is done with the exact same binding procedure as all other receivers.... power it up and once the LED is flashing red, press and hold the programming button until the LED turns green, then release the button. The LED will start flashing orange (yellowish in this case) and it is ready for binding to the transmitter.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:06 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Quote:
With that feature, you should try to work wording like Universal into the naming so people know that it isn't just for your own products. Xpander-U or UCX (Universal Channel Xpander)
I like the UCX idea. Something like UCX-10 and UCX-12, for 10 and 12 channel versions.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:19 PM
A UCX-10 with no case and no wires and less expensive than the other options has my vote.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grich
A UCX-10 with no case and no wires and less expensive than the other options has my vote.
I agree with the option of buying the barebones board without a case or wires. Most people will probably already have the servo cables or can get them pretty cheap locally. I would just have one product page with options beneath where you can add-on a plastic case or servo cable if needed.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jim,

As for names, I think RFU - Radio Frequency Unit, and SCU-Servo Control Unit work pretty well together.

I'm liking it, the Nano gives you small form factor min channels, then to upgrade just buy the SCU so no duplicating the rf link unnecessarily.

You didn't mention JR's new X-BUS system, that'll need to be in there somewhere in time.
Mar 28, 2013, 01:50 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
The Spektrum X-BUS protocol is a 4 wire i2c protocol that won't be supported.
Mar 28, 2013, 02:28 PM

A9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Sorry if I missed it, but does the board work with A9/optima receivers (AFHSS)?
Mar 28, 2013, 02:36 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
No, Hitec is not supported. Their receivers don't output a serial stream.