Looking for Tiger Tail 4 plans - Found! They are AMA plan #36103. - RC Groups
Mar 27, 2013, 06:01 PM
Discussion

Looking for Tiger Tail 4 plans - Found! They are AMA plan #36103.

This is going to be a tough one. Around '84 I scratch built a Tiger Tail III with plans purchased directly from Ron Chidgey. These plans were for a completely built up version, wing and fuselage. The wingspan was at least 70" but my faded memory tells me it was 72". I had Wing Mfg. make me a set of cores from the ribs I sent them and built the fuselage from the plans.

I have contacted Ron and will be ordering a set from him but it is for a fiberglass fuse and foam wing.

Would anyone have a set of these original built up Tiger Tail III plans?

..Joe L
Last edited by Joe_L; Oct 06, 2016 at 05:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2013, 11:08 PM
AMA MEMBER
Hi Joe

I have the plans.
Mar 29, 2013, 04:35 AM
Hi Frequent Flyer
I have the original Tiger Tail plans and will be building it this year but would also like to build the rear exhaust version. Any chance of a PDF so I can get them printed in UK.
John
Mar 29, 2013, 05:01 AM
AMA MEMBER
Oh. I don't have them on a PDF .I have the fiberglass version and it has a 67" wingspan and rear exhaust with pipe partition piece.
Last edited by frequentflyer1; Apr 11, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Mar 29, 2013, 05:07 AM
Okay, thanks for letting me know. John
Mar 29, 2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer1
Hi Joe

I have the plans.
Fantastic. I'll pm.

..Joe L
Apr 11, 2013, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer1
Hi Joe

I have the plans.
Those are the foam wing/glass fuse version. I'm still looking for a built up fuse version III.

..Joe
Oct 01, 2013, 11:58 PM
Ever find the plans Joe?

Rick
Oct 06, 2016, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz
Ever find the plans Joe?

Rick
Yes!!!!!

AMA has the exact plans for the Tiger Tail 4 that I built and flew in the '80s. It is plans #36103 which is for the 70" wingspan version with an internal pipe through the canopy and a hardwood engine mount. Also, it has switchable leading edge sections on the outside portion of the wing for when Ron was experimenting with improving the snap characteristics for turn-around pattern. Turn-around was just starting to be flown at that time.

I can assure you, this is a great flying airplane! The fiberglass kit out of Louisiana came out because I was beating everyone with my TT IV!
Oct 07, 2016, 08:23 AM
Feb 15, 2017, 08:25 AM
SHAG
I have a wing kit from Sky Gas Fabricators for the Tiger Tail, they are foam core with a FG covering, asking $ 50.00.
Paul
Jun 13, 2017, 09:53 AM

Tiger Tail

This is the last Tiger Tail Ron flew. He gave it to me after he crashed it in an inverted spin. This plane is unbelievably light, or was until the repair. His craftsmanship is amazing, too bad I'll never be able to match his beautiful paint job.

Since his wife passed he's become really reclusive, gave up flying and building, says all he does is mope around the house and yard. We've all tried hard to get him back out but he's stuck in a state of depression I guess. Really miss watching his precision flying.

Rick
Jun 14, 2017, 10:14 AM
Sorry to hear that. I hope he can get out of his funk. He's been a terrific contributor to the pattern community for decades from his first version of the Tiger Tail through the Black Magic VF3 which evolved from Ron's Typhoon 2000 design.
Jul 07, 2017, 05:39 PM
does anybody sell the canopy for the tiger tail or know of one that is about the right size/shape? I know the original was a debolt WWII canopy.

carl
Jul 07, 2017, 07:45 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
does anybody sell the canopy for the tiger tail or know of one that is about the right size/shape? I know the original was a debolt WWII canopy.

carl
Carl,

Sig has a WWII canopy that might work. No frame lines like the Debolt though.

Mike