Mar 27, 2013, 02:00 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

aileron-flap differential on full house sailplane

I'm getting into my 1st full house sailplane (Eraser Extreme 3.2m) & have some questions about settings. Most of what I read about settings are in relation to TD flying, hi-starts, etc. (so launch mode,zoom,...) but I will just be flying slope. When I'm in "regular flight" mode, R aileron up 100%, R flap 50%, L flap -50%, L aileron -25%.
My questions:
1. should the leading edges of the L aileron & L flap be the same, ie form one long leading edge? or should the L aileron have less differential than the L flap.
2. since I am not using a hi-start,...should my launch mode simply be a slightly cambered wing(s)
3. for landing, w/ crow-butterfly deployed, should there be any differential on the ailerons (so if I am turning R to straighten the wings, L aileron should remain at neutral, or should it deflect some in the opposite direction?
thanks all!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2013, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
just to rephrase question #1, "If I'm in a Right turn..."
Mar 27, 2013, 03:18 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vascoboy
I'm getting into my 1st full house sailplane (Eraser Extreme 3.2m) & have some questions about settings. Most of what I read about settings are in relation to TD flying, hi-starts, etc. (so launch mode,zoom,...) but I will just be flying slope. When I'm in "regular flight" mode, R aileron up 100%, R flap 50%, L flap -50%, L aileron -25%.
Try thinking about it in a different way (and the same way the Tx programming works!)
you want the flaps to follow the ailerons, but about 40% of the movement - that's dead simple on my old JR Tx
so in your scheme:
R aileron up 100%, R flap 40%, L flap -40%, L aileron -100%.

however, you will also be using differential - more up than down - so if you were using 50% differential (and that's quite a lot) - that would be more like:
R aileron up 100%, R flap 40%, L flap -20%, L aileron -50%.

Hope that helps?

launch camber - only relevant for max height gain for F3F - for general flying launching, don't bother - just chuck it off...
for landing approach with CROW - I still have the differential - cant be bothered programming it out - BUT - I also use rudder to give more control under CROW - and I know some other folks do too.

Phil.
Last edited by Phil.Taylor; Mar 27, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Mar 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
Thread OP

great info!

thanks Phil,
that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks for the "rudder" tip during landing...I won't be using 50% necessarily for the differential, rather, wanted to use easy round numbers to illustrate ratios...
I won't bother w/ camber as I chucking it...i'll do just that, throw it out...
christian
Mar 27, 2013, 04:13 PM
Phil.T-tailer
happy to help!
for aileron differential - I generally use a ratio of "3 up" vs "2 down" (measured at the control surface) - I found that 50% (2 up vs 1 down) killed the roll rate too much

Phil.
Mar 27, 2013, 04:16 PM
RosscoPK
-and when in crow mode, you want the flaps to act only as down flaps, no longer mixed to the ailerons if you follow, or it will get very funky.

-Flaps to ailerons in flight mode are mixed at about 1/3rd, works for me and others.

-Remember to add some ailerons up a touch when flaps go down in crow to create some washout, saves the wing tips stalling so easily
Mar 27, 2013, 04:39 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
Interesting discussion...

I have only setup one four-servo wing glider... also a TD style glider. I flew it only on the slope, with the main goal of doing big air acrobatics.

I had some differential in the Ailerons... similar to what Phil recommends... maybe a bit less. I tried to get just enough differential to eliminate the adverse yaw thing. I tend to use my Rudder in the turns so adverse yaw was not a big deal. As Phil mentions too much Aileron differential make precise rolling very difficult.

I also tended to fly my wing with no "set" camber (in aerobatic mode) and used a "snap flap" mix to pull/push camber/reflex for banked turns and loops... equal camber/reflex in flaps and ailerons. I suppose the more neutral (less camber) your wing, the less differential you need on the ailerons.

My Flaps followed the Ailerons, with lesser throws; and no differential. My main goal with the flaps was to have some roll ability; small camber/reflex throws; and maximum flap deflection for landing... 70° or more if I could get it.

I never got the chance to play with "crow" too much. The full deflection flaps slowed the glider down pretty well. I agree with Phil that a good full Rudder throw is very helpful when landing.

Dawson
Mar 28, 2013, 09:57 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Check out Kevin Newton's page on setting up F3F ships: http://kevin-newton.blogspot.com/200...ng-glider.html

I've used this as a guide for years. I program negative differential in for landing when I am using crow, so that you have more roll control when the ailerons are up.

Tuning is fun!

Andy

Quick Reply