Mar 26, 2013, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
Idea

Using train smoke system for smoke system in an edf, possible?

So I was watching a YouTube video of a 6x6x6 electric juggernaut truck with tracks. The guy also put in a sound and smoke system from an electric train. Wouldn't it be cool to use something like this minus the sound system to use the smoke system in an edf jet? I think I'm gonna do some research and maybe put something together to fit in my f18. Of course y'all know how small the battery area is of a 50mm f18 jet so if I can get something to fit in there it'll fit in any other jet except maybe the 50mm f86 or mig 15. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Mike20; Mar 26, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2013, 03:22 PM
Lee Liddle
You'll need a bigger jet to carry any kind of smoke system that will create enough smoke volume to see.
Mar 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Talcum powder and design yourself an aireator dispersion device feeding directly into the duct and be servo actuated
Mar 26, 2013, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero
Talcum powder and design yourself an aireator dispersion device feeding directly into the duct and be servo actuated
Sounds more like it'll block my airflow instead of just sucking the smoke from a tube. I seen a guy do that though with a prop plane. Looked realistic but didn't last long.

I've been doing more research and found a company that makes a smoke generator for model boats or houses. Produces a lot of smoke and its thick. It also states it can last up to 25min on a single fill. Thinking maybe I take out the guts and get rid of the fan that pushes out the smoke since the smoke will be sucked out instead now. Also curious if I can cut down the fluid tank so instead of getting 25min on a fill I can use less and only get 3-5 min on a fill. I did write the company an email to see if they could do that for me and fit it to work in my jet. Will keep researching and adding to my idea. Thanks for the input already.
Mar 27, 2013, 12:57 AM
Zen in the art of foam
Mike20, what's the name of the company that makes the smoke system?
Mar 27, 2013, 01:16 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
http://rcsmoke.com/
Mar 27, 2013, 01:19 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
There are systems around that do work, but they are heavy on the batteries and heavy on the scale too. As I understod it looking at them at Jetpower they use kerostarters from turbine engines feeding smoke fluid through them. The larger system uses three kero plugs and the small ones only one plug. That combined with electronics and a fuelpump.

http://www.smokeel-shop.de

Smoke_EL on the ground and in the Air (0 min 45 sec)
Mar 27, 2013, 01:20 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake
They don't work unless you fly at walking speed and use 5 pcs at a time!
Mar 27, 2013, 01:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7
Mike20, what's the name of the company that makes the smoke system?
This is what I'm thinking about using:

http://modelboatsandfittings.com/con...0Generator.php
Mar 27, 2013, 01:48 AM
Thread OP
The rcsmoke doesn't look too bad but it might thin out at 70mph fly bys.
Mar 27, 2013, 04:09 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20
The rcsmoke doesn't look too bad but it might thin out at 70mph fly bys.
It thins out even standing still and is bairly visible at anything faster then walkingspeed. The only time I got a nice result was when filming from the airplane looking backwards. On the ground you bairly saw the smoke but from the camera it looked ok.

RC Day: RCSMOKE.COM smoke system review (3 min 51 sec)

Have a very Merry, Mig Smokin Holidays (3 min 33 sec)
Last edited by henke; Mar 27, 2013 at 04:19 AM.
Mar 27, 2013, 06:04 PM
Falcon 120, smoke system with very low flow pump, cs 120mm 12blade (4 min 5 sec)

Look around 3 mins in, the smoke is the heaviest there...the element cooled down enough

I have to work a quirk out in how hot the element gets and I'll start packaging these once I control the heat..

I was thinking the hotter the better but too hot it turns the smoke oil into a flame and you don't see a lot

The 70mm size ones will be next but they wont go for 30 seconds continuous, prolly half of that...trying to get the weight down to around a 6oz with everything including 3s pack, pump, hoses etc....not easy

The one in the vid can run off a 1300mah\3s\55c cell for around 6mins straight and then it'll cool...once I get the temp sensor working the pack will go even longer.

Believe me, I've tried everything...it's the volume of smoke that comes out that's usually the issue and then the weight after that...keeping smoke high and weight low is a bear
Last edited by erh7771; Mar 27, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Mar 28, 2013, 07:52 AM
Watt me worry?
These guys have smoke for electric............not sure how well they work.
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/advanc...771539&x=7&y=9
Mar 28, 2013, 12:25 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
A friend of mine built an electric smoke system several years ago, using 12v heaters he got from a truck stop. The thing smoked like mad on the ground, but I was amazed at how difficult it was to see while flying at a normal speed. It takes a lot of smoke to show up when flying at anything but walking pace.
Mar 29, 2013, 12:14 PM
Capt. Z
I checked out the Smoke_EL web site and am I reading it right, the wing tip smoke sytem cost 540.EUR witch I think translates to like over $700.00 U.S ?? or am I converting wrong.

Quick Reply