Thread Tools
Mar 26, 2013, 04:28 AM
Registered User
flyboygaac's Avatar
Discussion

FPV in moon surface


This is my main goal. Do not die until I made at least one FPV flight in our moon surface.

Is it possible (plausibly) for a hobbyist to achieve it combining currently cheap available technology?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2013, 04:30 AM
Registered User
cody069's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac
This is my main goal. Do not die until I made at least one FPV flight in our moon surface.

Is it possible (plausibly) for a hobbyist to achieve it combining currently cheap available technology?
You plan to fly a model to the moon?
Mar 26, 2013, 05:06 AM
Registered User
flyboygaac's Avatar
That is the plan ballon+rocket+thrusters+multicopter gyro stabilization+communications+navigation+solar power

The return trip is not mandatory, but interesting to think about its possibility.

This is the plan, but I cannot do it alone because I need help in communications and navigation in space.
All other tasks seems doable with available resources.
Mar 26, 2013, 05:08 AM
Member #1
Teamsherman's Avatar
Baaaaaaaaaahaaaaahaaahaaahahahahahahaha!!

Oh, did I mention...Baaaaaaaaaahaaaaahaaahaaahahahahahahaha! !
Mar 26, 2013, 05:08 AM
Registered User
cody069's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac
That is the plan ballon+rocket+thrusters+multicopter gyro stabilization+communications+navigation+solar power

The return trip is not mandatory, but interesting to think about its possibility.

This is the plan, but I cannot do it alone because I need help in communications and navigation in space.
All other tasks seems doable with available resources.
You reliase that a prop needs air to move for thrust... No air on the moon
Mar 26, 2013, 05:18 AM
Registered User
The highest hobbyists have been able to go is via weather balloons but when those things pop, you're still going into free fall, even then your model has to weigh almost nothing. The only way to get a decent payload into space is via spaceship one, and those tickets aren't exactly cheap.

Assuming that you've somehow gotten into space, you still have to calculate a ballistic trajectory (You're still affected by gravity even tho it's faint) compensating for the earths speed (100,000kph orbit around the sun), and has to hit a target that's moving 3,600kph around the earth. To make it there in 30 days, your model will have to launch with an initial velocity of at least 550kph, and since no rocket engine is that precise, you will have to continuously add corrections along the journey while conserving propellant.

If you're insanely lucky, you'll make it to the moon, and then use up the rest of your propellant slowing down at the last second (good thing there are no humans on board, the g forces would pancake them), you will now be on the moon...

Question: Is a drone enough of a physical presence to make a land claim? That might make enough motivation for a bunch of RC enthusiasts to pool together and fund such a mission.
Mar 26, 2013, 05:21 AM
Grasshopper
FPV on the moon is pretty much what the Google Lunar X Prize is about:
  1. Get to the moon
  2. Explore (move) at least 500 meters
  3. Send back HD video and images
  4. Get $30 million from Google
Mar 26, 2013, 05:21 AM
Ikaruswannab
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac
This is my main goal. Do not die until I made at least one FPV flight in our moon surface.

Is it possible (plausibly) for a hobbyist to achieve it combining currently cheap available technology?
You can do it.
Keep us posted....
Mar 26, 2013, 05:22 AM
Registered User
flyboygaac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody069
You reliase that a prop needs air to move for thrust... No air on the moon
No prop mentioned. Thrusters. Low mass low energy required.
Mar 26, 2013, 05:29 AM
Registered User
cody069's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac
No prop mentioned. Thrusters. Low mass low energy required.
Ok... Mis read
Mar 26, 2013, 05:32 AM
Registered User
flyboygaac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile
The highest hobbyists have been able to go is via weather balloons but when those things pop, you're still going into free fall, even then your model has to weigh almost nothing. The only way to get a decent payload into space is via spaceship one, and those tickets aren't exactly cheap.

Assuming that you've somehow gotten into space, you still have to calculate a ballistic trajectory (You're still affected by gravity even tho it's faint) compensating for the earths speed (100,000kph orbit around the sun), and has to hit a target that's moving 3,600kph around the earth. To make it there in 30 days, your model will have to launch with an initial velocity of at least 550kph, and since no rocket engine is that precise, you will have to continuously add corrections along the journey while conserving propellant.

If you're insanely lucky, you'll make it to the moon, and then use up the rest of your propellant slowing down at the last second (good thing there are no humans on board, the g forces would pancake them), you will now be on the moon...

Question: Is a drone enough of a physical presence to make a land claim? That might make enough motivation for a bunch of RC enthusiasts to pool together and fund such a mission.
Good points
I retained:
- after ballon starts the rockets
- the only payload intended to take is video camera for live feed, no humans, oxygen supply, no scientific experiments.
- trajectory is navigation+communications we're I hope tho get external help
- luck is always needed, no humans, so G forces can be extreme
- if someone's finances it instead of my pocket I gladly send a led banner, that remotely uploads advertising, sold to the highest bidder. If this mission works I will send a bunch of this models to build one extra large led screen on moon, solar powered.
Mar 26, 2013, 05:36 AM
Registered User
cody069's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac
Good points
I retained:
- after ballon starts the rockets
- the only payload intended to take is video camera for live feed, no humans, oxygen supply, no scientific experiments.
- trajectory is navigation+communications we're I hope tho get external help
- luck is always needed, no humans, so G forces can be extreme
- if someone's finances it instead of my pocket I gladly send a led banner, that remotely uploads advertising, sold to the highest bidder. If this mission works I will send a bunch of this models to build one extra large led screen on moon, solar powered.
I think this would be almost impossible to do.. If teams spending large $$$$$ can't do it.
Mar 26, 2013, 05:43 AM
Grasshopper
A balloon does not help you much. The altitude you gain is only marginal compared to the vast distance you need to travel, and a balloon does not help with attaining the escape velocity you need to climb out of earth's gravity well. For that you need a big rocket.

The Google Lunar X Prize has 33 registered teams. All teams have very experienced people on board, include some who have actually sent stuff to the moon before. All teams have multi-mullion dollar budgets. Going to the moon is neither easy nor cheap. Google wouldn't offer you $30M if it was.

It is a very interesting topic though, and I encourage you to read up on it. Unfortunately, it is also very much out of reach for hobbyists, even very determined hobbyists.
Mar 26, 2013, 05:43 AM
Registered User
flyboygaac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor
FPV on the moon is pretty much what the Google Lunar X Prize is about:
  1. Get to the moon
  2. Explore (move) at least 500 meters
  3. Send back HD video and images
  4. Get $30 million from Google
That was the inspiration that is doable.
Inscriptions are finished for that prize.
Most are teams associated with university's and large corporations
Corporations are made by people
People have hobbies and many do RC
So we have very high tech modelers that do wonderful things for this hobby and help us all a lot
If we manage to join each one speciality it will be a supportable burden to each one, keeping this has hobby and not a 'space mission' and the goal will be achieved shortly

From what I see every day in open source community's that develop has good as top of the line products and knowing that in history aeromodeling was always the birth and testing ground of new technology, the goal of FPV in moon is doable at hobbyist budget (probably some dozen of hobbyist budgets)
Mar 26, 2013, 05:44 AM
Registered User
flyboygaac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by teopbako
You can do it.
Keep us posted....
Alone is difficult. Help needed


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Would this make an acceptable FPV camera for surface use? dma251 FPV Talk 3 May 22, 2016 06:10 PM
Off Site Spektrum DX3E 2.4 ghz 3-channel DSM Surface transmitter-still in shrinkwrap! Scirocco14 Cars - Accessories (FS/W) 2 Mar 09, 2013 09:07 AM
Help! honey moon in New york and Toronto eitanro Chit Chat 4 Feb 20, 2013 11:05 PM
Question Perfect vehicle for surface/land FPV orianthi FPV Talk 13 Dec 06, 2010 03:28 PM
Discussion Surface Transmitter Module for FPV fpvproject FPV Talk 1 Jun 03, 2010 11:45 AM