Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 22, 2013, 03:59 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Build Log

Simple Sym 3D biplane 45" build info and video on page 6!

SEE POST #42 for V! and V2 information.

CUT AVAILABLE:
http://www.hoosiercutoutservice.com/planes/andrad.htm

Here is a link to a night video of our latest prototype for a 30" F3P.

simple sym f3p (1 min 49 sec)

And an indoor video of the current plane:
S3 dueling dragon edition (3 min 55 sec)

It is a biplane featuring elliptical wings and tail and is symmetrical top to bottom.

Other design features include no reinforcement other than foam, Extreme light weight, and only dollar store board (with a scrap of foam paper plate).

The plan is a minimum number of parts and the whole thing goes together in just a few minutes really.

The specs are pretty simple:
AUW = 175 grams
ws 30"
Total wing area = 436 sq. inches
wing load = 0.40 grams / sq inch

motor hk 24 gram (Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1500kv)
8-10 ss esc.
orange rx
1-5gram and 2-3.5gram servos
370ma 2s battery

It has some very interesting flight characteristics and we think it has some real potential.

I have also attached a Pdf of the basic plan we worked from if anyone wants to try to build one.

Comments are welcome!
Last edited by Andrew Radcliffe; Mar 22, 2016 at 03:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2013, 04:58 PM
Registered DLG addict
Very cool. I looks very capable. I think you have something here...
I might have to build me one.
Mar 22, 2013, 05:42 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Nice, do you have a video of an F3P schedule? Most F3P planes are under 110g.

Azarr
Mar 22, 2013, 11:13 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
No, this plane has not flown a full routine yet. This is just a prototype. You are seeing the second flight happening at about 2:00 am the night it was built. As far as the weight, it could be reduced by selection of lighter equipment and using 3mm rather than 4mm foam. We started out thinking that direction and thought this was just going to be a mock-up and a model to build a more refined bird from. However, after flying it we realized that the wing loading is so light It might actually be a detriment to build it lighter...... We started this discussion to refine the concept.
Apr 03, 2013, 09:26 PM
This is a really cool concept. I've never built one of these f3p planes. Do you put it together with foam safe CA? Hot glue? Going to order my parts and get cracking on it.

I'm flying an Amos Moses now, which at 13 ounces (1000 mah batt, 9 gram servos, which is all I had) is twice what it should weigh, and it still flies great. This looks like it would be even more fun.

Oh, and where does it balance?
Apr 04, 2013, 04:17 AM
Nice design dude.
Apr 10, 2013, 07:40 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
thanks
Apr 10, 2013, 07:42 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedlock4rc
This is a really cool concept. I've never built one of these f3p planes. Do you put it together with foam safe CA? Hot glue? Going to order my parts and get cracking on it.

I'm flying an Amos Moses now, which at 13 ounces (1000 mah batt, 9 gram servos, which is all I had) is twice what it should weigh, and it still flies great. This looks like it would be even more fun.

Oh, and where does it balance?
We used white gorilla glue. CG is about 2.5" from front of wing. This is a no wind plane, indoor or really, really calm times. But it is a lot of fun. For something that handles outdoor conditions well, try the 30" sbach we posted a while back.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1791293
May 05, 2013, 12:01 AM
I am going to build one and will post my results. Nice and simple design.
Can you add a daytime video of your plane.
Last edited by boa2110; Nov 04, 2014 at 01:05 AM.
Dec 22, 2015, 10:30 PM
Just found this thread (sorry, I'm a little late to the party)
...I've cut out the parts (thanks for the .pdf!) and am trying to figure out how you you mounted the motor...any tips/pics would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 23, 2015, 08:25 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Dorais
...I've cut out the parts (thanks for the .pdf!) and am trying to figure out how you you mounted the motor...any tips/pics would be greatly appreciated.
We made a thin ply "X" and glued it to the foam, then screwed it in. But really, if you want a great flying plane take a look at this one:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2559562

Now that I think about it, the motor mount is the same on both planes

I just went back and looked at the video. This Simple Sym was a great plane too. You have me considering making a 30" "milled" version and using tissue like the Xtra Lite I linked above. I bet that would be amazing!
Last edited by Andrew Radcliffe; Dec 23, 2015 at 08:34 PM.
Jan 13, 2016, 09:25 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Dorais
so did you have any luck with the motor mount?
Jan 13, 2016, 05:26 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Looks GOOD !!! How much rudder do you have to use for a coordinated turn ???
Jan 14, 2016, 10:31 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Looks GOOD !!! How much rudder do you have to use for a coordinated turn ???
Not much, the rudder area is pretty large.
Jan 14, 2016, 02:52 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thanks , it looks really GOOD !!! Such a pleasing shape !!!