Jan 04, 2004, 11:32 PM

Ultimate E-Starter thread?

Since I'm getting pretty comfortable with my Slow Stick I bought myself a late Christmas present- an E-Starter.

I plan on sticking with the stock motor and NiMh batteries.

Is there an "Ultmiate" thread for the E-Starter that contains building and tips and FAQs? You know, similar to the Ultimate Slow Stick thread that's out there.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2004, 11:59 AM
ooops
I started building mine last night. After 3 hours it's 90% done.
I did a search first on this forum and came up with more info than I could ever use. I sorted thru it and used what i liked. This plane
really builds nicely. I went easy on the epoxy. I love the GWS glue.

I am also adding a bit of support to the rear fuselage as I hear that is a weak spot.

Also instead of using Z-bends on the connecting rods at the servo end I picked up some Dubro mini connectors ( 4 for 5 bucks). This should allow me to make everything more exact and much easier.

Tonight it should be done. Now if winter will just take a hike...

Rick
Jan 05, 2004, 12:41 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
REPLACE THE BATTERY BAY DOOR WITH YOUR OWN MAKEUP....

Trust me, you WILL WILL eject a pack if you try and use the gws included batt bay door... probably in 2-3 flights if you belly land it at all and within 5 if you use landing gears -- it has always happened on each of 3 of my own e-starters and to 2 friends who also bought them.... no amount of epoxy or glue can hold that freakin' bay door on :-D

I used pieces from the clear parts bag epoxied into the fuselage to provide extra mounting points for rubber bands, then simply zig-zagged 2 rubber bands across the batt bay door diagonally... battery has never fallen out since
Jan 05, 2004, 03:26 PM
Registered Boozer
Quote:
Originally posted by headless
REPLACE THE BATTERY BAY DOOR WITH YOUR OWN MAKEUP....
Not completely necessary... I used some velcro on the inside and put some on the packs and I've never had that problem. The velcro keeps the pack nice and snug inside the compartment and even after the hardest landings it stays in place.

-Dujara-
Jan 05, 2004, 03:34 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
i'd consider velcro-ing the inside of the bay and your packs replacing the bay door mechanism with your own... so yes, that'd be perfect! Point being, the door itself won't hold the packs in under normal aerobatics..
Jan 05, 2004, 03:47 PM
All that i can really say for this plane is, make a new battery door like they've already suggested and reinforce the landing gear and the tail. The landing gear on my e starter popped out and tore up the foam on my first landing. Also, dont try to fly it in above 10 mph winds til u get used to it... made that mistake on my maiden, got the plane blown about 40 ft up into a tree. Got it back but there were too many chunks taken out of the foam. From the one flight i got i seemed like a very stable plane and on the one landing i got it had a very nice glide til the landing gear came out.

Chris
Jan 05, 2004, 03:47 PM
Crash frequency declining
About the battery bay, I use velcro tape glued to the side in the bay. Holds the batteries nicely and they have only ejected after a crash, which broke the tail and a wing. No sign of them moving after lots of loops.

Its a nice and easy flying machine, indeed my first and suffered a few bruises as a consequence.
Jan 05, 2004, 06:51 PM
I love my Estarter! I enjoy taxing it out via the Taxiway to the the runway & then turning onto the runway & giving her the juice, VERY fun Plane!
I've never had problems with the stock battery bay because I use as trick, I just bring along some soft Paper Towel Wading & just stuff a little next to the battery, usually hold it just fine & never had a pack eject out of any of my planes.
I'm flying my Estarter on the Etec 1200-2S pack & get good power & lots of duration, I am discontinuing use of my 8-Cell AAA packs, I like the Lipoly better!

*Pic below.

Mike
Jan 05, 2004, 06:52 PM
I used epoxy on the batt bay door mechanism and use a rubberband stretched between the tow wing support anchors and across the closed door. No problems here!
Jan 05, 2004, 07:12 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
hehe that worked until i started belly landing...the bay door catches grass and just yanks out no matter how much epoxy is there ... and as the rubber band got a little looser i learned that pulling out of inverted in a dive would eject the batt anyway hehehehehe
Jan 05, 2004, 07:26 PM
nananabooboo!!
Never thought the batt. compartment was an issue. Glad a thread like this came up Got my E-Starter for Christmas and waiting for more props & better weather before the maiden. Got for it 7cell 650 & 1050Kans. Will eventually go with lypo's & brushless (IF THE PLANE SURVIVES!!, NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE WITH AILERONS OR RUDDER Any words of advice before my investment turns into a instant puff of white foam ?
Jan 05, 2004, 07:31 PM
Captain E's sidekick
Going to start mine any day now. I just have to order the electronics.

Kurt
Jan 05, 2004, 07:31 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Sounds like you have the right batteries 8cell would even be good Make sure you get the 350c, the e-starter loves it Of 3 e-starters i've built and my friend's 2 all have had batteries eject... you'd think we'd learn to do it from the start but every time we built we figured we could just 'use more epoxy to hold the door on...' LOL. I saw a guy flying an e-starter at the park the other day i hadn't met before and as i watched he did a loop and plonk out it came; went over and saw he had the rubber bang-over-the-struts-trick set up too, it was really funny. I think you'll do OK w/ the e-starter as a first plane, it's very forgiving Just take it easy, don't overreact.... remember everything is an opposite... so if you turn too far left thinking it's right or some such, don't try and figure out right/left, just push the stick the opposite direction to correct the problem. Opposites are your friend E-starter is great fun, you'll do fine. Give it a little bit of down elevator for launch (down on stick, actual surface slightly up) so you don't dive into the ground. Could be helpful to launch w/ landing gear your first few flights, hand launching can be tricky.
Jan 05, 2004, 07:33 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Here's my baby
Jan 05, 2004, 07:34 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
She's got an astro 010 14t in her now and runs on 3s thunderpower 2100 packs