Thread Tools
Mar 18, 2013, 04:53 PM
Rookie builder.......
Build Log

Ivan Pettigrew Albatross


ok, here I go. I got Ivan's plans a while ago, and now it is time for the build to begin. I had a chance to fly in a real Albatross two weeks ago, and now I feel the need to have my own, albeit a little smaller.

Post engine start (0 min 11 sec)


Takeoff (0 min 0 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2013, 06:28 PM
Registered User
vonJaerschky's Avatar
Very cool! I have the plans, too. It's on my short list!
Mar 19, 2013, 04:22 AM
Registered User
Trevorh's Avatar
Just how 'short' is that list Frank
Mar 19, 2013, 04:05 PM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
After i finished my solent i bought the albitross plans from Ivan and i want to start it soon. It will be nice watching some else frame theirs first . joe
Mar 20, 2013, 01:29 AM
Rookie builder.......
Ok, first question. I have read about different balsa strippers, and can't seem to find one that stands out above the others. I have read many comments about cutters working poorly for over 1/8th size cuts.
Mar 20, 2013, 10:03 AM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBergt
Ok, first question. I have read about different balsa strippers, and can't seem to find one that stands out above the others. I have read many comments about cutters working poorly for over 1/8th size cuts.
I just use a cheap master airscrew balsa stripper with good results as long as you keep a fresh balde in it. It also helps to find straight grain balsa sheets so the stripper does not run crazy folowing crooked grain. I had save these plans and instruction pictures to build my own balsa stripper but have never had the chance yet. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1201800
Last edited by cracksmeup; Mar 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Mar 20, 2013, 10:21 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
Deuce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBergt
Ok, first question. I have read about different balsa strippers, and can't seem to find one that stands out above the others. I have read many comments about cutters working poorly for over 1/8th size cuts.
If you have trouble with the Master Airscrew stripper, A2Z Corp. has some nice (more expensive!) strippers: https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/categor...BladesStripper

I splurged and purchased the McCleod style stripper ( https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/Product...BladesStripper ) and it is pretty nice. However, like the MA stripper (I have one of those, too), it's possible to screw up a cut if you don't pay due diligence.

The advantage I see with the spendy stripper is it can be secured such that you can use both hands to guide the wood. I've heard of others securing the MA stripper as well, so with a bit less money and some sweat equity, you may do well enough with a fixture for the MA stripper.

James
Mar 20, 2013, 10:39 AM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
Those are some nice balsa stripper's Deuce but iam to cheap to fork out that kinda cash for one. When i built my Ivans short solent it only took me 30 minutes to cut all my 3/16 x3/16 strips up for the whole plane and i did not use my ma stripper on the build after that. Iam a firm believer in buying the best tool you can find and that will last forever tho and if i was not so cheap i would buy the same one you did. lol joe
Mar 20, 2013, 01:20 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Deuce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
Those are some nice balsa stripper's Deuce but iam to cheap to fork out that kinda cash for one. When i built my Ivans short solent it only took me 30 minutes to cut all my 3/16 x3/16 strips up for the whole plane and i did not use my ma stripper on the build after that. Iam a firm believer in buying the best tool you can find and that will last forever tho and if i was not so cheap i would buy the same one you did. lol joe
Hehe! Normally I tend to the cheap as well, but I was feeling flush then!

As mentioned, I've heard of some folk that mount the MA stripper to achieve a similar effect. Others have even built their own strippers. Should one need a crap-load of only a few different sized strips, I'd think it would be easy enough to whip up a couple dedicated stripping fixtures, each for a given width strip...

James
Mar 20, 2013, 01:22 PM
Rookie builder.......
Ok, I think I'll try the master airscrew first, and see how it goes.

Next question. What's a better source for balsa? Are there good online sources, or is the LHS the best choice?

Thanks
Mar 20, 2013, 01:41 PM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
I was buying from lonestar but it looks like we lost another company balasausa would be my next choice and then there is midwest balsa co . Here is balsausa's site http://shop.balsausa.com/
Last edited by cracksmeup; Mar 20, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Mar 20, 2013, 01:57 PM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Hehe! Normally I tend to the cheap as well, but I was feeling flush then!

As mentioned, I've heard of some folk that mount the MA stripper to achieve a similar effect. Others have even built their own strippers. Should one need a crap-load of only a few different sized strips, I'd think it would be easy enough to whip up a couple dedicated stripping fixtures, each for a given width strip...

James
Deuce i have thought about building 4 or 5 different kinds on home made strippers but building my planes takes up my time plus family choirs. One day when iam inbetween builds i will build me some different size strippers along with a formost sanding machine that i think is made from a stair handrail ,box and some stickers. lol I did brake down and buy some sanding tools (perma grip) about 12 years ago and they still work great now as they did then but they are not cheap . I bought the flat sanding tools in different sizes and some curved ones for inside sanding plus the slot making tools for main spar slots. I love these sanding tools and will pass them down to my son . joe http://www.averytools.com/products.a...0&pagenumber=1
Last edited by cracksmeup; Mar 20, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Mar 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
Rookie builder.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
I was buying from lonestar but it looks like we lost another company balasausa would be my next choice and then there is midwest balsa co . Here is balsausa's site http://shop.balsausa.com/
thanks! I priced some different sizes, and Amazon wins with 7.9 cents per 36 inch length of 3/16 square cut from sheets. also getting a wood stripper from there.
Mar 20, 2013, 02:21 PM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBergt
thanks! I priced some different sizes, and Amazon wins with 7.9 cents per 36 inch length of 3/16 square cut from sheets. also getting a wood stripper from there.
Anytime John if you ever need anymore help just PM me , here is my Ivans bird. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Mar 20, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Mar 20, 2013, 02:33 PM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
I would be carefull about buying from amazon just because they are a little cheaper ,you might end up with a pile of not so good wood. There are many builders who like the stuff from balsa usa and i would pay a little more for their stuff. Just my two cents . joe


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Ivan Pettigrew 102" PBY Catalina dglo Scale Kit/Scratch Built 279 Feb 20, 2016 08:49 PM
Build Log A twin twin build: Ivan Pettigrew's Twin Otter 480 patricksurry Scale Kit/Scratch Built 191 Dec 01, 2015 11:58 AM
Discussion Ivan Pettigrew's Albatross? Tram Scale Kit/Scratch Built 31 Jan 07, 2009 10:12 PM
Discussion KZ 4 new from Ivan Pettigrew Airboatflyingshp Scale Kit/Scratch Built 4 Jun 23, 2006 03:59 PM
Sold Partenavia Plans By Ivan Pettigrew Rudderman98 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 May 07, 2006 09:04 PM