This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 18, 2013, 02:15 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Tablet flying the Syma

Tablet flying the Syma (0 min 0 sec)

Another round of wifi problems revealed it took 3 MIC5205's & 1500uF of capacitors to keep wifi going with the attitude feedback loop on. Getting it to run on a 3.7V battery, with random voltage dropouts from motors trying to stabilize attitude, takes seriously low dropout voltage.

The MIC5353 would do a better job. That has 160mV dropout voltage at 500mA. Parallel MIC5205's have 350mV dropout voltage at 450mA.

Otherwise, flying it manually with the tablet is reasonably easy, compared to Marcy 1. Marcy 1 had no attitude hold, while this Syma X1 has not just wifi but attitude hold. Attitude feedback has to be right up against where it starts oscillating to get useful responsiveness. Enough motion throws it into an underdamped oscillation & crash. When the connection glitches out & reconnects, it goes into an underdamped oscillation & crashes.

Gyro priority has to be much higher than accelerometers, for the roll & pitch, while being much lower for the heading. The gyros can't be lowpassed at all, with the UART delaying the IMU. Not using a quaternion hasn't been a problem.

The horizontal speed during takeoff is too high for optical flow. That's going to take some resolution adjustment. The PX4flow demo video used vicon during takeoff & trimmed out before switching to optical flow.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Mar 20, 2013 at 06:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2013, 04:19 PM
Hey cool!

I was just blathering on a few days ago about just that, rather flying RC planes with a tablet. I have an issue where my thumbs aren't that good but my arms are ok and said in the JRSky-birth of a dream radio thread before JRSky was added to the title, that a tablet interfaced to a FrSky telemetry module would be ideal for someone like me. I believe thats why the OP added JRSky to the title as that was what he was building and didn't want to hear about another's dream radio.

So seeing your vid was an inspiration to me. I don't have the wherewithal to build something up like that but any motion in that direction is bonus to my view. Kudos and keep up the good work.

Richard

Quick Reply