Mar 15, 2013, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Question

Low Kv - big prop vs. High Kv small prop

Hi there,

putting together a CarbonCore Y6 that is able to carry a DSLR or similar. I have been playing around with eCalc, but I seem not to be able to figure out, what is better?!

I have been told that each have their pros and cons, as pretty much everything does, but I would like to get a little bit more backup info on what you guys have to say!

thanks,

G
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa
Hi there,

putting together a CarbonCore Y6 that is able to carry a DSLR or similar. I have been playing around with eCalc, but I seem not to be able to figure out, what is better?!

I have been told that each have their pros and cons, as pretty much everything does, but I would like to get a little bit more backup info on what you guys have to say!

thanks,

G
low kv + big props + 6s lipo = win.

i went with MT3515-15 motors (six of them, for my hexa), with 14x8 graupner props. pop that into ecalc. you'll like the numbers.
Mar 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated
low kv + big props + 6s lipo = win.

i went with MT3515-15 motors (six of them, for my hexa), with 14x8 graupner props. pop that into ecalc. you'll like the numbers.
Thanks for the reply! I like the numbers! However, the reason I was going to pick a higher Kv motor, is that I heard three things. 1. The NAZA likes higher Kv motors?! Not sure if that is true or not!? 2. Bigger prop also means you are more susceptible to wind and 3. That when using higher Kv motors the Flight Controller has more RPM to work with and fine adjustments are better and flight will be more stable!

thanks,

G

p.s. I would like to go 6s
Last edited by neavissa; Mar 15, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Mar 15, 2013, 03:40 PM
well, i've heard a few of those things, but i'm still in the process of putting my carboncore h6 950 together at the moment so i can't tell you for sure. (running naza-m + gps) i should be able to tell you in a couple week. i've seen several people with similar setups that were rock solid and had none of the issues you explained.
Mar 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
well, i've heard a few of those things, but i'm still in the process of putting my carboncore h6 950 together at the moment so i can't tell you for sure. (running naza-m + gps) i should be able to tell you in a couple week. i've seen several people with similar setups that were rock solid and had none of the issues you explained.
I see... so you got the MT3515-15 motors and 14x8 graupner props, but didn't get a chance to try it yet, correct?! However, you are saying that others used the exact same setup and have super good results, right?! Unless I do not know how to read, I got it...
Well, thanks for the input! I have been googling a bit and it seems that my questions gets asked about every 2-3 month, LOL!

thanks,

G
Mar 15, 2013, 04:12 PM
Quote:
I see... so you got the MT3515-15 motors and 14x8 graupner props, but didn't get a chance to try it yet, correct?! However, you are saying that others used the exact same setup and have super good results, right?! Unless I do not know how to read, I got it...
Well, thanks for the input! I have been googling a bit and it seems that my questions gets asked about every 2-3 month, LOL!

thanks,

G
"z06 tony" on these forums builds a ton of carboncore stuff for customers and he posts videos on youtube of most of them in the air as a test, and they seem rock solid and smooth as butter. (most are very similar setups to what i chose)

my build is on hold due to not having room for my giant esc's, and since i want to make this neat, i'll probably be ordering an extra center plate. besides that, i have everything i need, just waiting to make a decision on how to do this neatly before i finish assembling it lol
Mar 15, 2013, 04:16 PM
Only draw back to bigger props / Low KV is, No Acrobatics
Mar 15, 2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter
Only draw back to bigger props / Low KV is, No Acrobatics
second minor drawback: larger props cost more
third minor drawback: larger props have better reach for jumping out and slicing you open
fourth minor drawback: 6s batteries cost more and weigh more
fifth minor drawback: 6s esc's cost more, and sometimes weigh more
sixth minor drawback: low kv motors generally cost more, and weigh more

very minor things, but worth noting lol
Mar 15, 2013, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
"z06 tony" on these forums builds a ton of carboncore stuff for customers and he posts videos on youtube of most of them in the air as a test, and they seem rock solid and smooth as butter. (most are very similar setups to what i chose)

my build is on hold due to not having room for my giant esc's, and since i want to make this neat, i'll probably be ordering an extra center plate. besides that, i have everything i need, just waiting to make a decision on how to do this neatly before i finish assembling it lol
Is "z06 tony" the guy from rc-drones?! Anyhow, I am going to check him out... thanks.

I have to ask! What esc are you talking about and why that one?!

thanks,

G
Mar 15, 2013, 04:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
third minor drawback: larger props have better reach for jumping out and slicing you open

Interesting! I always like to hear about the "minor" stuff!!!

thanks,

G
Mar 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:

No argument, I have a cut on my finger now that I will wear for the rest of my life.
Mar 15, 2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Is "z06 tony" the guy from rc-drones?! Anyhow, I am going to check him out... thanks.

I have to ask! What esc are you talking about and why that one?!

thanks,

G
yup, that's his website.

hobbyking's F-30A's. i flashed them with simonk firmware. they're not HUGE like rc truck esc size, but they're decent sized esc's.

link to my build thread. there are pictures on there of the esc's: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1840225
Mar 15, 2013, 04:35 PM
sorry i meant F-40A's. i'm building a qav500 at the moment too and it's what i'm putting the F-30A's in lol. too many builds at once
Mar 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
yup, that's his website.

hobbyking's F-30A's. i flashed them with simonk firmware. they're not HUGE like rc truck esc size, but they're decent sized esc's.

link to my build thread. there are pictures on there of the esc's: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1840225
Thanks for the info! I am going to take a closer look at the videos, the esc's and your build thread! Why did you pick Tmotors?! I looked at SunnySky and heard they are pretty much the same motor! But you know how that goes... its all hearsay!

thanks,

G
Mar 15, 2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I am going to take a closer look at the videos, the esc's and your build thread! Why did you pick Tmotors?! I looked at SunnySky and heard they are pretty much the same motor! But you know how that goes... its all hearsay!

thanks,

G
they probably are, but i've heard a lot of these share the same body but have different bearings, which are the most important part, so i was ok with spending more to get the ones i'm pretty confident in being reliable. (haven't heard too many complaints about them overall) $20 per motor savings versus $1500 dslr falling out of the sky lol. not saying sunnyskys or avroto or axi or any other brand wouldn't work as well, i just chose tiger

Quick Reply