Question about Align Trex 450's - RC Groups
Mar 13, 2013, 09:56 PM
Discussion

Question about Align Trex 450's

I have been thinking that I would like to try a Align 450 but I'm not to sure just what the differences are between the various models. I know that there are DFC version and that they are flybarless and that some come with or without the 3GX Gyro. The part that I'm not understanding is what is the difference between a Plus or Super Combo or the Pro Super Combo? What are the the pro's and cons between them and the reason for the price difference.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
Aspiring Weekend Flyer:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysbynite
I have been thinking that I would like to try a Align 450 but I'm not to sure just what the differences are between the various models. I know that there are DFC version and that they are flybarless and that some come with or without the 3GX Gyro. The part that I'm not understanding is what is the difference between a Plus or Super Combo or the Pro Super Combo? What are the the pro's and cons between them and the reason for the price difference.
Most online stores selling the Align brand provide the detailed writeup by Align for each of the model variants. Just a change of the ending letter in a model number could offer something a good bit different because older models are still being sold. You just need to make a copy of the writeups for a model number and compare. Go to stores like Amain Hobbies, ExperienceRC, ReadyHeli, Flying-Hobby and check out the descriptions.

Basically more expensive material/components is the general difference as most of the Aligns are sold with everything need to fly except battery, receiver and TX. You can fly just as well with a basic kit as you can with the Pro Super Combo. Do you need to spend more money for the bling?
Mar 14, 2013, 05:41 PM
Don't know if it's your first 450 or not, but a month or so ago, I was going over the same info. Picked up the trex 450 sport v2 at heli direct for 343.00. came with everyting but battery and receiver. belt driven and it has a flybar. I think flybarless is supposed to be better, but I figured this is my first 450 size, so would probably crash alot. Flybars is how most experience flyers got started, so it should work for me too. cheaper to buy, will definitely need parts to fix, so the extra money goes to parts instead of a flybarless unit. Some will argue that flybarless has less parts so crashing isn't as expensive, which may be true, but i think flybar makes it a little more tame, and you can always make it a flybarless later by upgrading and finding out what works for you. just my opinion, I know people who have started with flybarless and did just fine.
Mar 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. A friend of mine gave me a older Align 450 that someone had give him but it was never finished being assembled. I am not sure how old it is but the vertical stabilizer says 3D high pro. I have been looking at it and I am not to sure of the first person build quality. I got a Futaba 6EX radio and receiver and was going to finish the helicopter but thru a mixup the box with a servo and other parts and battery where sent with a friend who did know what they were and tossed them out. Now I am thinking that I would like to start out with one that is newer and maybe go for the flybarless version with the 3GX gyro.
Mar 15, 2013, 09:33 AM
Aspiring Weekend Flyer:-)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. A friend of mine gave me a older Align 450 that someone had give him but it was never finished being assembled. I am not sure how old it is but the vertical stabilizer says 3D high pro. I have been looking at it and I am not to sure of the first person build quality. I got a Futaba 6EX radio and receiver and was going to finish the helicopter but thru a mixup the box with a servo and other parts and battery where sent with a friend who did know what they were and tossed them out. Now I am thinking that I would like to start out with one that is newer and maybe go for the flybarless version with the 3GX gyro.
Here is a flybarless version without the DFC head. More expensive from what melow08 showed you for the flybar version $478 but it doesn't have the DFC head. I have read multiple accounts that Align blundered in their design for the DFC head. Too much stress on certain parts if I remember correctly.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/tre...bl-p-8454.html

I was thinking of getting this one myself. I do have a DFC head on my Trex 500 though I haven't flown it yet. Hoping to compare the two to see how each is. I think this a little cheaper to replace. I'm also looking at the Tarot 450 version. That you can for about $100-$150 less, ready to fly, just need receiver.

http://tarot-rc-heli.com/RC_Helicopt...ombo-Kit-Black
Mar 15, 2013, 10:11 AM
Rotor Controller
Quote:
Now I am thinking that I would like to start out with one that is newer and maybe go for the flybarless version with the 3GX gyro.
A lot depends on the type of flying you want to do. For scale flying the flybar 450 has a smoother feel than the flybarless. While the parts count is reduced in the flybarless, the parts that usually break or bend are common to both. The servos used in the flybarless are digital which are lot more expensive and really not needed for scale flying. Another consideration is the tail drive. Torque tubes are extremely unforgiving when you have a tail rotor strike and the umbrella gears have to replaced almost every time you tail into the ground - which is extremely common for beginners. Replacing those umbrella gears each time are a real pain. Belt drives are MUCH more forgiving because the belt slips instead of gears stripping. Unfortunately Align quit making the belt drive versions like the Sport - that was one of the best helis they made for training and scale flying. The good news is some dealers still have them - I just bought my 2nd one and have it stowed away for a rainy day. The first one is for non-rainy days. I named them "one" and "two". When one breaks I still have two left!!
Last edited by CaptJac; Mar 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
May 05, 2013, 11:18 PM
Dear CaptJac,
I hope you or someone reading this post can help me.
I have a T-Rex 450 DFC that it came RTF with Align T6 TX.
I have about 5 Hovering flies and then I have a bad landing and damage the tail boom and aileron and pitch servos.
I replace them and did all adjustments as per the instruction manual and the chopper is flying again but I have a problem with the gyro.
I don't know how to do the Rudder Gyro direction setting (page 20 of the manual), sorry I just cannot get it??
Wherever I am doing is wrong as my rudder servo finnished always on one end and not centered.
Can some one help please??
My radio (TX) is a Align T6 and I am only using the factory default adjustment for General Flight not 3D flight.
Many thanks,
Aisen1
May 05, 2013, 11:57 PM
Bugger, i broke it again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysen1
Dear CaptJac,
I hope you or someone reading this post can help me.
I have a T-Rex 450 DFC that it came RTF with Align T6 TX.
I have about 5 Hovering flies and then I have a bad landing and damage the tail boom and aileron and pitch servos.
I replace them and did all adjustments as per the instruction manual and the chopper is flying again but I have a problem with the gyro.
I don't know how to do the Rudder Gyro direction setting (page 20 of the manual), sorry I just cannot get it??
Wherever I am doing is wrong as my rudder servo finnished always on one end and not centered.
Can some one help please??
My radio (TX) is a Align T6 and I am only using the factory default adjustment for General Flight not 3D flight.
Many thanks,
Aisen1
In heading hold mode they tail will not centre itself. It will centre initially and thats it.
What i do is plug the battery in, let it centre, unplug the battery and then make my adjustments.
Im guessing you have the FB model, if you have the FBL model let me know and i can tell you how to set end points in the 3gx etc.

OP, 3GX is the gyro, DFC = direct flight control which is the name of aligns new FBL head. Sport has a different frame to the pro. Plus is a sport frame with plastic head and tail and on the DFC version has the same motor and servos as the pro.

Sport V2 is still available as far as im aware, and is belt driven tail. Pro is TT driven tail.

The 3GX on the pro is the full 3GX, the one on the plus is a 3GXMR, its stripped down and has no programming interface other than the buttons on the unit itself.

A super combo usually has everything except a receiver and transmitter. other kits usually include motor and ESC, but no servos or FBL controller / receiver and gyro.

all except the plus models must be assembled, the plus comes ready to fly with a transmitter regardless of whether you get the 3GX DFC model or the FB model.

In my opinion the tail servo on the pro DFC super combo and the plus is garbage and should be replaced with something better (i have had 2 fail, align replaced the second one after assessing it, but i still dont trust putting one back on). Easy on the pro, but most tail servos do not fit in the stock location on the plus. Moving the servo to the boom is better on a belt driven heli anyway.
May 06, 2013, 09:26 PM
Dear Adge82.
Thank you for your help.
I have the FBL model and btw its does use a belt for transmission to the rudder (same as the sport I believe).
I will wait to see if you have a new idea for the FBL 3G X MR, if not I will try your suggestion in your fist paragraph.
Many thanks again, as this bird is driving me mad. (I have a Walkera 4F180 FP -4 blades and although I have changed the little tail gears about 50 times so far its a pleasure to fly now!!) I never new that the CP choppers are so complicated to adjust.
Aysen1
May 06, 2013, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Dear Adge82.
Thank you for your help.
I have the FBL model and btw its does use a belt for transmission to the rudder (same as the sport I believe).
I will wait to see if you have a new idea for the FBL 3G X MR, if not I will try your suggestion in your fist paragraph.
Many thanks again, as this bird is driving me mad. (I have a Walkera 4F180 FP -4 blades and although I have changed the little tail gears about 50 times so far its a pleasure to fly now!!) I never new that the CP choppers are so complicated to adjust.
Aysen1
Cool, in that case here is how i adjust my tail.
(I have moved my tail servo to the boom using a pro servo pushrod and align boom servo mounts. Reason for this is so that i can set the tail and dont need to adjust when i tension the belt)

Turn on TX (no TH or idle up / top toggle switches flipped away from you.)

Plug in battery to heli and wait for the swash to jump up and down 3 times then stop. Unplug the battery.
Be careful to not move the heli during this step, i just hold the connection good enough to make connection but not completely plugged in.

This should now have the tail servo centered. If its not, take off the servo horn and get it centered (or as close as possible).

Now adjust your pushrod length until you have 0 pitch on tail blades (if its not 0 your tail will drift)
Best way to figure out if its at 0 pitch is to put the blades at 90 degrees to the holder so they look like a U shape, then when you move the servo they act kinda like paddles and if the paddles dont line up, your not at 90 degrees. Does that make sense?

Double check your servo is centered as many times as you need to during this process, if you think you moved it, plug in the battery and let it center.

Once this is complete, turn on your TX and plug in the heli. Flip your throttle hold switch (top right towards you).
Set your throttle to 50% (with TH the main blades should not be spinning).

Check direction of your servo by moving it left and right, from memory left will pull the pushrod toward the heli body, right will push the rod away from the heli body (could be wrong, but im pretty sure thats right). Is that working correctly?

Dont worry about where the tail ends up.

Press the button on the bottom of the 3GX 5 times (do it slowly) it will flash 5 times on the green light and the tail will now be over in one direction.
Adjust using your TX rudder so that it is approx 1mm away from the end of the tail shaft.

Click the set button on the 3GX again and the tail should now be over the other side.
Repeat adjustment using your rudder control on the TX.

Press set on the 3GX one more time.

Thats it.

If you have the opportunity, move the servo to the boom, then you only have to do this once, and check it occasionally as part of your pre/post flight checks.

If that was unclear at all, please let me know. Im not at home with the heli, but can go through the procedure when i do get home and clarify anything that might not make sense.
May 06, 2013, 10:26 PM
Dear Adge82,
This sound a lot clearer and easy to do.
I will try it this w/e and let you know.
Many thanks,
Aysen1
Sorry again
I am interested in the mod to move the tail servo to the boom
Is this one of the part that you need-- Metal Tail Servo Mount Set for T-Rex 450 Sport ( http://www.rc711.com/shop/metal-tail...th=166_106_158)
And what about the rudder control link?? How do you get the right length? What is a pr servo pushrod?? where can you get it??
Many thanks
Aysen1
Last edited by Aysen1; May 07, 2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Left a question that I need info on
May 13, 2013, 12:47 AM
Dear Adge82,
Done the adjustment as per your instructions and works fine (easy to do it as well)
I have a bit of tail "wagging" now, but this maybe do it to giro sensitivity that I will need to check? or could also be main blade pitch adjustment (I am waiting for a pitch gauge to do it)
I am still waiting for your info on th rudder servo push-rod??
Regards,
Aysen1
May 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Dear Adge82,
Done the adjustment as per your instructions and works fine (easy to do it as well)
I have a bit of tail "wagging" now, but this maybe do it to giro sensitivity that I will need to check? or could also be main blade pitch adjustment (I am waiting for a pitch gauge to do it)
I am still waiting for your info on th rudder servo push-rod??
Regards,
Aysen1
Tail wag could be a few things. I found i had a bit of wag on the stock servo with stock pushrod, once i moved to the larger tail servo and boom mounted with the carbon pushrod, no more wags. (suspect vibration or slight binding to be the cause).

Pushrod:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/450-SPORT...item27d165593c

Boom mounts:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Align-HS1...item53f4377447

You can get both from just about anywhere, I have the Vwinrc pushrod and use the guide as a stopper on the boom so that it doesnt move and slacken the belt (ill take a picture if you like).
May 14, 2013, 01:04 AM
Adge82,
Thank you, I order the pushrod today (I have already ordered the boom holder from my hk supplier)
When I get all the part if I need some help I let you know, as a picture will be good to know the aprox location in the boom on the servo.
Many thanks again for all your help.
Regards,
Aysen1
Oct 12, 2017, 03:48 PM

Trex 450

Quote:
Im a retired Air Force officer, and ofcourse a senior citizen now. All my life I've been flying fighters. Recently I thought of trying my hands on Helis. I bought XK K100 Blast RTF. Its very small and I did not enjoy flying it. Now I am thinking to buy XFX Trex 450 from Banggood, as nothing can be cheaper then that.
I wish; only wish, to use XK X6 Tx of my K100 and buy Corona GR7SF only if its built in gyro could be used with Trex 450 otherwise I'll go for Corona R6SF and buy KDS820. The purpose is to enjoy flying helis - done lots of actual aerobatics; not interested in 3D flying. Yes, for a retired person, money saved is money earned.
I am actually looking for someone who could help me using Corona receiver GR7SF, with built in Gyro with Trex 450 (clone whatsoever)
Any help/advice will be thankfully acknowledged.