Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
Registered User
Discussion

Do not buy Hobby King products


Bought two batteries from them. One would cause my motor to occasionally quit. It took a while for me to diagnose that it had a bad cell. Their products are junk and I will not be shopping there ever again. Their customer service is quite lacking. Buy US products....learned my lesson!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
Registered User
There are absolutely no lipo cells that are made in the US. They're all imported.

But if you want to pay out more of your dollars for the same product (apart from the label) you're certainly entitled to do that .

Steve
Mar 11, 2013, 06:00 PM
Registered User
As Steve said you can't buy US lipos, there is no one who makes them in the US.

Also this is not the best place to complain about a specific vendor. There is a whole forum for that:
https://www.rcgroups.com/hobbyking-441/
Mar 11, 2013, 06:09 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstick
Bought two batteries from them. One would cause my motor to occasionally quit. It took a while for me to diagnose that it had a bad cell. Their products are junk and I will not be shopping there ever again. Their customer service is quite lacking. Buy US products....learned my lesson!
These threads are a dime a dozen. However --3 rules for us u.s.a customers.

#1 always buy from the usa warehouse

#2 always use pay pal

#3 think of HK as a swap meet, One has to be picky about what they sell. Not all products are golden. Where as others are. Ya gotta do some homework before a large order is placed.

I have bought many batteries from hk, And all were great. You simply got a bad apple. ( it happens now and then with any company ) They have a warranty. Send it back.
Mar 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
Registered User
I agree...Hobby king is great for a lot of stuff. you got a dud, but your still ahead if you bought it at your local place..all my batteries are hobby king..I own a bunch.
Mar 11, 2013, 07:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion
These threads are a dime a dozen. However --3 rules for us u.s.a customers.

#1 always buy from the usa warehouse

#2 always use pay pal

#3 think of HK as a swap meet, One has to be picky about what they sell. Not all products are golden. Where as others are. Ya gotta do some homework before a large order is placed.

I have bought many batteries from hk, And all were great. You simply got a bad apple. ( it happens now and then with any company ) They have a warranty. Send it back.
The warrantee is for a month. I started developing the problem at about one month and couldn't figure out what it was. The engine would die monmentarily and come back. It could have been anything. It took me another month to get to the bottom of it. Basically one of the cells is intermittent. They will not honor the return as it is one month out of warranty.
Mar 11, 2013, 08:00 PM
Registered User
Best advice...its a loss...that being said ,that doesn`t happen often...You`ll come out ahead rather than using the LHS for lipos....
Mar 11, 2013, 08:02 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstick
The warrantee is for a month. I started developing the problem at about one month and couldn't figure out what it was. The engine would die monmentarily and come back. It could have been anything. It took me another month to get to the bottom of it. Basically one of the cells is intermittent. They will not honor the return as it is one month out of warranty.
And neither would anyone else. I am not a Hobby King fanatic but I do business with them. I have received some good stuff and some bad stuff. Getting a bad item now and then is no reason to condemn them. Most of us here on RCG realize what their products are worth and that there is virtually no customer support. You pay your money and take your chance. My advice is to just move on. Life is too short to get bent out of shape for a battery.

Glen
Mar 11, 2013, 09:31 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
And neither would anyone else. I am not a Hobby King fanatic but I do business with them. I have received some good stuff and some bad stuff. Getting a bad item now and then is no reason to condemn them. Most of us here on RCG realize what their products are worth and that there is virtually no customer support. You pay your money and take your chance. My advice is to just move on. Life is too short to get bent out of shape for a battery.

Glen

Oh turst me, my life is not over. But I'm done wasting my money there and needed to vent. Crap batteries from there and its not the first time.
Mar 12, 2013, 12:37 AM
Registered User
firehawkzach's Avatar
Yeah I have a battery that went bad after two flights and even though the tracking number shows it to be delivered February something, HobbyKing is claiming they have not received my battery and will send me updates. It is March 12th and I have since filed a dispute with PayPal. I have three other batteries from them and they seem fine so far but we will see. I have not ruled them out for future purchases as this is my first "bad apple" but I will definitely be buying Glacier batteries from now on since they too feature a warranty but from a US company! Sorry to hear about your luck with them.
Mar 12, 2013, 07:05 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach
Yeah I have a battery that went bad after two flights and even though the tracking number shows it to be delivered February something, HobbyKing is claiming they have not received my battery and will send me updates. It is March 12th and I have since filed a dispute with PayPal. I have three other batteries from them and they seem fine so far but we will see. I have not ruled them out for future purchases as this is my first "bad apple" but I will definitely be buying Glacier batteries from now on since they too feature a warranty but from a US company! Sorry to hear about your luck with them.
Someone mentioned using PayPal, a good suggestion, here is an extension of that thought. When using PayPal always use a Visa or MasterCard as your payment source, that way you have avenues through PayPal as well as the Credit Card company.
Mar 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Thanks for the heads up.
Mar 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
Registered User
I got french fries from MCD's and half of them where not done, Screw that place never eating there again. lol. Just cause you get 1 bad battery doesnt mean there all bad. For the price you pay, just suck it up and buy another. Take the bad cell out and make it a 2 cell if its a 3 cell.
Mar 13, 2013, 02:03 AM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
Like many have said, you wont find any batteries made 100% in the U.S. Is there anything you can buy in this hobby that is 100% made and manufactured in the states these days? Not assembled here, 100% every single piece made in the good ol USofA? The only batteries I fly are from hk. Heck I even looked for somewhere with a cheaper 1300mah 3s pack for my new drone today and couldnt come within $7 per pack and on top of that, the discharge rate was less than the hk packs.
Mar 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
12th Man
cryhavoc38's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstick
Bought two batteries from them. One would cause my motor to occasionally quit. It took a while for me to diagnose that it had a bad cell. Their products are junk and I will not be shopping there ever again. Their customer service is quite lacking. Buy US products....learned my lesson!
HK purchasing virgins
geez


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert mcpx79 IS A LIAR !! DO NOT BUY OR TRADE WITH HIM Tewhitte Trader Talk 23 Oct 14, 2016 08:18 PM
Discussion Do not the German hobby shops like Hobby King? Berkie Vendor Talk 14 Dec 01, 2011 12:17 PM
Discussion do not buy walkera products jombo Micro Helis 126 Sep 01, 2011 04:20 PM
Discussion Do not buy a Buffalo tech product kist2001 Life, The Universe, and Politics 1 Jun 20, 2010 10:10 AM
Warning! Do not buy Product. THREAD Zachary New Forum Requests 13 Nov 23, 2004 01:07 PM