Great Lakes Freighter -- New from Dumas - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 11, 2013, 02:26 PM
Looking good Pat.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
Nickel Belter
The Fitz was 730' x 75' so you'd need more than just a 14'' plug at that scale. Think beeeeeg...

I always enjoy your build threads, Pat, they are better than the best instruction books. Have you decided what colours you are going to paint it yet?
Mar 11, 2013, 05:10 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
You're doing a great job, but somehow, this kit and the subject doesn't float my boat---.
Mar 11, 2013, 05:44 PM
It floats mine I like it!
Mar 11, 2013, 05:55 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56
The Fitz was 730' x 75' so you'd need more than just a 14'' plug at that scale. Think beeeeeg...

I always enjoy your build threads, Pat, they are better than the best instruction books. Have you decided what colours you are going to paint it yet?
Kit is 46" x 6" 1/8" scale= 368' x 48' (Dumas Website)
SS Edmund Fitzgerald 720' x 75' 1/8" scale 90" x 9 3/8"

A former member had a static model of the Fitz in two 5' display cases. It had a detailed hold with cargo and he would display them so you could look in.

There are plenty of kit bashing opportunities with this kit though. See the Alpena scratch model built by joehat31. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=alpena Any laker with a 45 to 50 foot beam could be easily bashed out of this kit. Thanks for doing this review Pat. I was curious about the kit as are several of our club members.
Mar 11, 2013, 08:51 PM
Very, VERY nice work Pat.
Mar 11, 2013, 10:28 PM
Just Limin'
Looks good Pat. I'll be following, always wanted to build a Great Lakes boat.

Scott
Mar 12, 2013, 07:48 PM
Cranky old fart
I grew up in Sault Ste. Marie and spent summers and a year between high school and college crewing on those ore freighters. This sure brings back memories. I will always remember the early winter storms on Lake Superior in late October and early November; it's like being on another planet. There used to be 7 locks and constant traffic day and night, 60 - 80 ore freighters a day. The ore freighters today are so big, they don't even resemble ships. They only fit through one lock and average about 2 ships per day through the locks. Those two ships have more capacity than 30 ships had in 1962. I don't know how wide they are (around 105') , but you can step from the boat to the walkway on the side of the lock without much extra effort.
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 12, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Mar 12, 2013, 08:30 PM
At this point the hull is all done. The rear bulwark went in last night and seams filled and sanded. The portoles were drilled this afternoon just before the prime coat went on. Pics to follow.

PAT
Mar 13, 2013, 09:57 AM

Drilling the Portoles

The rear bulwark is a plastic strip cut to length, the ends radiused, then glued in place on top of the deck. The plastic strip was pre-shaped by pulling it around the head of a ballpeen hammer to pre-form the curve making it much easier to align and glue in place. The seem was touched up with catalysed spot putty and sanded.

The portoles were marked off using the detail drawings, then drilled with a 1/8" drill bit. The brass eyelets will go in after the hull is primed and ready for color.
Mar 13, 2013, 09:59 AM

Priming the Hull

With all the surface work pretty well roughed in it was time for a coat of primer. The weather was perfect for spraying outdoors yesterday afternoon, so took advantage of that for sure.
Mar 13, 2013, 10:04 AM

Prepping foor Color

Once dry, the hull was wet sanded with 400 grit wet. Turns out that there were no flaws needing repair, so the water line was drawn on. BTW, this is no doubt the easiest water line I've drawn yet -- the hull was placed on the bench right side up, the marking tool set at 2 3/8" and the line drawn on. No blocking, no shimming, and no fussing. And with that, she's ready for color.

After giving it some thought, I've decided to go with a red bottom, black sides and green decks. Should make for a nice presence on the water.

PAT
Mar 13, 2013, 11:10 AM
Nice looking boat. What will she weigh when ready to sale? See when you get old you think about things that were never a problem when you were young.
Mar 13, 2013, 11:22 AM
no such thing as to many boats
Very nice looking kit keep up the ice work I'll be watching looking to bile one myself .
Mar 13, 2013, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman
Nice looking boat. What will she weigh when ready to sale? See when you get old you think about things that were never a problem when you were young.
Grav, Word has it that she'll balast up to 21 lb. But there's good news: Tom used 2 1/2 paver bricks to get to full gross. The bricks are simply laid into the hull after she's put in the water so you won't have to rassle the whole load into the water all at once. That thought crossed my mind too knowing that it's a fairly large boat that draws a good bit of water so figured it would gross pretty heavy.

PAT