This thread is privately moderated by PeterVRC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 09, 2013, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Turnigy 9X RC system - with DJT and DHT for 16 channels

First of all, the Turnigy 9X is already a very low priced but high capability computer radio/TX. For about $60.
The RF system that comes with is it very medicore, so you don't want to be using that at all really. The best choice is to replace it with FRsky modules, which are proven to be extremely high quality and reliability, also at very good prices. Frequency hopping (better than DSMX), and a very low voltage RX that will as good as never 'brownout' ever, it gives you an RF system WITH telemetry capability, for $50 approx. including one 8ch RX.
So far $110 for the main parts of a very reliable and great quality TX/RX system!

The shortfall of the T9X is its PROGRAMMING. The firmware it comes with. It can do a fair bit of stuff, but nowhere near as much as the hardware is capable of!! AND, you need to be a rocket scientist to work out the 'Chinglish" based, extremely bad counter-intuitive programming layout!
BUT luckily some ingenious guys, and a community effort, saw the potential of the T9X hardware and made completely NEW firmware for it!
Firmware that unleashes everything you could possibly want a TX to do... as much as any priced high end one can do.... and MORE.... for free too! (Donations welcome!)
Open9X is the main group, and then there are sub-sets of variation of that Open Source coding to tailor the T9X in various ways.
I think the best of these is ER9X. So I highly recommend you use that as the firmware for your T9X!!

To be able to flash program a T9X it needs a bit of internal wiring done. 7 wires? To get access to the processor unit, and to a plug on the T9X case so you can plug in a USBASP programmer to link it to your PC for data transfers. It is quite easy, yet needs soldering skill. If you can't do it, find someone that can! It is well worth it!
Once flashed to ER9X, prepare to be AMAZED by all it can now do! And in relatively intuitive and highly flexible ways!

I will make up a list of its features as I go over time:

1) 32 mixing levels, of mixing 'anything in the TX to anything else'. This means mind boggling flexibility and aircraft control programmability!

2) 16 models, but limited by total memory use for mixing etc of all models.

3) Many 'per model' programming functions (eg like a flight timer) so that setups can be tailored to individual models.

4) Ability to drive TWO 8 channel PPM data streams. Which means you can have 16 channels very cheaply really. Just buy TWO FRsky TX/RX modules, at $50 each, means you have a 16 channel TX/RX system for about $180 !!

5) Any pot/stick/switch can control any channel - and even interact across other functions and channels. This flexibility is something VERY useful to have - and most TX systems won't allow that. (eg On most the Gear switch is always the Gear switch, you can't change that).

6) Programmable Delay, Slow, Curves, Switch interaction/over-rides, Virtual Switches.... for any mix and/or Channel.

Nothing is set in stone, like most TXes that have severe limits on what can be used for what. eg specific channels, switches, or fixed mixes.
Last edited by PeterVRC; Apr 04, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2013, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Mar 09, 2013, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Mar 09, 2013, 10:21 PM
Thread OP

16 Channels - What you need

To get 16 Channels with ER9X in the T9X, you need to do a bit of wiring/soldering, and also have another TX module to transmit the next 8 channels of PPM data. And then of course another 8ch RX in the plane.

I found that a good way to get two TX units into the T9X was to use the DJT module that plugs into the rear of the TX unit, and then mount a DHT-U unit (which also has a telemetry LCD display) on top of the TX, bolted to teh Antenna stub.
The wiring required is 4 leads to get the PPM data stream, and power, to the TX module.

You might think that having TWO 2.4GHz systems right next to each other might be problematic? But thanks to freq hopping it is totally fine and reliable! There is just not a single sign of interaction issue at all.
The same for the two RXes in a plane.

(Pics to come)

Quick Reply