Mar 09, 2013, 06:07 PM
chocolatehaule
Thread OP
Discussion

Ok I have no idea what I am doing.

I have a DX6i radio with a AR6200 reciever hooked to a Aquacraft 30 amp ESC hooked to a brushed motor that came with a jim wilder tug. I goes forward fine but reverse is very slow. I can't find a setting that makes reverse go faster. What am I doing wrong.???
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2013, 06:14 PM
DX6i radio is an aircraft radio and I would have to wonder how the esc responds to the curves you have put into it and what are they? How are you even setting up the radio? I assume the ESC has full reverse capability right?
Mar 09, 2013, 06:19 PM
Nickel Belter
The Aquacraft ESCs are the same ones that come with their RTR Atlantic tugboat and are known for having less throttle range in reverse.
Mar 09, 2013, 06:33 PM
Well.. that explains a lot.
Mar 09, 2013, 06:38 PM
chocolatehaule
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI
DX6i radio is an aircraft radio and I would have to wonder how the esc responds to the curves you have put into it and what are they? How are you even setting up the radio? I assume the ESC has full reverse capability right?
I tried everything I could think of, reverse moves very slow, I also assume the esc has reverse also. Guess I just thought it should work, maybe not?
Mar 09, 2013, 08:07 PM
no such thing as to many boats
Those ESC are horrible the reverse is very slow and can't be adjusted they have to be replaced . I replaced it with a pro boat and the boat works fine forward and reverse and I'm using a DX7 with no problem
Mar 09, 2013, 11:13 PM
Yeah the Proboat is a decent ESC replacement. I wondered if there was a limited reverse on that Aquacraft model. I have to try the whole idea of using my DX8 for this too! Good idea for multiple channels....have to give that a try.
Mar 10, 2013, 01:34 PM
chocolatehaule
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie R/C NUT
Those ESC are horrible the reverse is very slow and can't be adjusted they have to be replaced . I replaced it with a pro boat and the boat works fine forward and reverse and I'm using a DX7 with no problem
Thank you for the advice, where does one get one of these?
Mar 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
no such thing as to many boats
Your local hobby shop pro boat.com tower hobbies it should run you about $40.00 to $50.00 .

Glad I could help I had the same problem . Changed out the ESC boat runs great now .
Mar 10, 2013, 07:19 PM
chocolatehaule
Thread OP
thank you again RC NUT
Mar 10, 2013, 08:46 PM
Chocolate, you will find the Proboat ESC will have poor low RPM response. When you barely move your throttle stick forward (or reverse) this ESC jumps to about 30%. In a go-fast boat that's OK, but in a tug it is not. Suggest the Mtronics Viper Marine ESC's. They have equal, full throttle forward and reverse and very slow RPM's on first moving the throttle. I changed a Proboat for a Viper in my Springer a few years ago and it's still great. And I have one in JW, finished last year. She goes creepy slow, but will try to plane if run at WOT.

Harbor Models sells them, as do others.
Mar 11, 2013, 05:11 PM
chocolatehaule
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGAux26
Chocolate, you will find the Proboat ESC will have poor low RPM response. When you barely move your throttle stick forward (or reverse) this ESC jumps to about 30%. In a go-fast boat that's OK, but in a tug it is not. Suggest the Mtronics Viper Marine ESC's. They have equal, full throttle forward and reverse and very slow RPM's on first moving the throttle. I changed a Proboat for a Viper in my Springer a few years ago and it's still great. And I have one in JW, finished last year. She goes creepy slow, but will try to plane if run at WOT.

Harbor Models sells them, as do others.
I have the stock motor that came with the boat. Do you think the 10amp is big enough?
Mar 12, 2013, 11:49 AM
As CGAux already stated, the Proboat is very poor for low speed operation. I also replaced the one in my Amsterdam for an Mtroniks Viper marine 40. Can count the prop revs at min throttle.
Mar 12, 2013, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI
GSPI, 2.4 radios such as Sectrum dx series are not ''aircraft radios'' thay are for use in the sky and on land and water. They are just no good for submarines as the signal will not penerate water.
Mar 12, 2013, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton
GSPI, 2.4 radios such as Sectrum dx series are not ''aircraft radios'' thay are for use in the sky and on land and water. They are just no good for submarines as the signal will not penerate water.
That wasn't my point. I'm so used to programming helicopters and quads into the DX radios as that's the way it's sold as an "Air" Radio vs a "Surface" radio by Spektrum ( http://www.spektrumrc.com look at the tab where the DX6i is posted under) and there are throttle curves that can be programmed in. I would assume if you kept a straight throttle curve you can set end points with the ESC but if there were different curves programmed into that radio there would be a different response that the ESC would have possibly giving the OP the response he was getting. My point is that if there was a different air based curve or an odd curve was programmed into the model file on the radio it might cause the ESC to react in a non-linear way plain and simple.

I have not used Spektrum on any of my 28 RC boats yet as I just got a Spektrum surface radio for the first time for Christmas. I've had AM and FM radios that I have used on them for many years and was working on consolidating them to the Spektrum surface system which will be taking a while.

Quick Reply