Funjet Clone! - Flight Video, Build Video and PDF's - Page 3 - RC Groups
Mar 23, 2013, 04:04 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
I scraped my attempt at this build. I could not get this to fly. I'm not sure why but its uncontrollable. I need to continue on other builds. This will have to be my first failure
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2013, 03:56 PM
Oh man! Sorry to hear that. It may need even more nose weight.

Fun Jet Clone, Test Flight 9, March 24th 2013 (7 min 57 sec)
Mar 24, 2013, 09:44 PM
Using foam in moderation
Awesome!!
Mar 24, 2013, 10:40 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
Ok ok I am inspired and will rebuild and try again. So the cog will have to be relocated to perhaps 14"? Huh I'll post my findings
Mar 29, 2013, 12:53 PM
Though for me, the CG is spot on, perhaps you should move it forward a bit and see what happens!
May 27, 2013, 10:27 PM

Successful Maiden!

I had a successful maiden flight with my new Funjet clone. Everything went perfectly. I balanced just forward of the 15-1/4" mark that I made. I am using a Grayson Hobbies 2212-06 V2 motor with a 30 Amp ESC & a 2200 mah 3S battery. My battery is several years old and has reached the end of its useful life but it gave one final performance on this maiden flight.

A friend launched it for me and it flew straight out of his hand like an arrow. It accelerated quickly and before I knew it I was at a safe altitude and fine tuning it with just a couple clicks of trim. Next I was rolling faster than I could tell which way was up, which is when I decided more colored tape was needed underneath to help with orientation. After a few minutes of high speed passes and blurred rolls, I decided to land before my battery gave up as I knew it was old & tired. The landing was uneventful as it slowed down pretty nicely. I was very impressed and can't wait to fly it again, I just ordered 4 new batteries so I can really get some good flight time in with this new design.

Thanks to ProjectFlightDesign for doing all the interpreting of the dimensions, coming up with a plan for a simple, easy, & quick build and following up with very helpful videos to assist with building this great little flyer.

I am really going to enjoy this one as I already invested in a FunJet previously but ended up destroying that one on the first few launch attempts. After that disappointing series of events, I still wanted a FunJet experience but was not willing to risk another $110 without any guarantee of success. I am very thankful for the opportunity to try this design for very little investment.

I hope to get some video the next time I get a chance to fly & I will definitely post it back here. Thanks to those who post their pics & videos as it really inspires me to follow through and try new designs that come out like this one.

Last edited by Zero Six Sierra; May 28, 2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: fixed photos.
May 28, 2013, 03:13 AM
Is that balance point t you used measured right from the back of the plane?? Im nearly ready to fly mine too using exact same setup too :-) cant wait now to go fly it :-)
May 28, 2013, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbororman
Is that balance point t you used measured right from the back of the plane?? Im nearly ready to fly mine too using exact same setup too :-) cant wait now to go fly it :-)
No. The CG is 15-1/4" to 15-1/2" back from the tip of the nose. I learned from experience that a tad noseheavy is better on a maiden than anything close to the rearward limit. So I ended up balancing just a hair in front of the 15-1/4" recommended forward limit and it flew just fine. Remember that the measurements all depend on the length of the fuselage being 24-1/2" long and all other measurements being correct.
May 31, 2013, 08:26 PM
I am building one at the moment did change it a hair nothing to crazy but I am happy with the results so far... Very excited to fly it. May be a few days tho need to rob peter to pay Paul so to speak.....take parts from one plane for this one
Jun 01, 2013, 02:29 PM
whoops crash launched on full throttle, went straight up and started rolling to the left. got it stopped and climbing, then stalled and nosed straight in to the left. front smashed off from just in front of wing. will rebuild and try with 5 inch prop. thinking maybe a little more nose heavy and less torque from a smaller prop might do it. mine is 2200kv grayson, 40 amp esc and 2x 9g servos. (Might try adding some verticals on the wing tips too.... Any suggestions on that??? )
Jun 01, 2013, 05:00 PM
These may have to be my next build... (:
Jun 04, 2013, 06:10 AM
right, its rebuilt, 5x5 prop on rear on a 2200kv motor. rechecked balance and was nearly 1" rearward reballanced and ready to go. hopefully it will go ok now. if it flys ok, will tidy this one up a bit, and build another for best for the spare motor esc and servos i have laying around
Jun 05, 2013, 03:21 PM
It flies Just need to tidy it up and get some bright tape for orientation purposes flew it on 5x5 prop, loads of pull. Gonna retry on 6x4 now and should have even more thrust. will try and film next time. Its a great flying plane. Thanks for the design and plans
Jun 07, 2013, 12:45 PM
Working on mine. Built it using an armin wing. Will try to finish this weekend.
Jun 07, 2013, 04:51 PM
oooo that looks nice. Not had chance to fly mine since, maybe sunday now.... been working every day. Kf wing flys great though.