Funjet Clone! - Flight Video, Build Video and PDF's - Page 2 - RC Groups
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2013, 04:08 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
fixed it!readjusted for COG and now it goes up and flips over and straight down. then on second attempt it goes up and acts tail heavy then nose dives. I ended up moving the battery forward to get it fly somewhat straight. then any input would make it pretty much nose dive and crash! Bleh thats enough for me today!
Mar 18, 2013, 09:11 PM
Nice build!!!! Looks great.

Yes - this things needs taming on the elevator control. Here is what I have programmed in:
Aileron Expo = 46%
Elevator Expo = 50% (decreased throws to 67%)

Hope this helps!
Mar 18, 2013, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectFlightDes
Nice build!!!! Looks great.

Yes - this things needs taming on the elevator control. Here is what I have programmed in:
Aileron Expo = 46%
Elevator Expo = 50% (decreased throws to 67%)

Hope this helps!
yeah i tried that too. Whats your AUW? maybe its just too heavy?
Mar 20, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hmm

My weight with battery and all is 15.94 ounces
Mar 20, 2013, 01:23 PM
Ok I think mine is a smudge over 16oz. Maybe my motor isn't square off the back? Ill check when I get home later??? Thanks!
Mar 20, 2013, 07:23 PM
I really like your plane. Thanks for giving me the idea of how to use up that half sheet of pink foam out in my storage shed. I'll build this one although I'm not quite good enough to fly it more than a couple hundred yards before I pile it up like the last one I built ( I learned about dual rates and expo and travels after that). I might be more ready for it now.

I'm going to lighten it up cause I want it to fly slower. I have a blue wonder motor with a 800 2 cell battery looking for a home I think this is it. The motor is a 3000kv.
Mar 20, 2013, 09:23 PM
Psalms 23:4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow
I'm going to lighten it up cause I want it to fly slower. I have a blue wonder motor with a 800 2 cell battery looking for a home I think this is it. The motor is a 3000kv.
I would recommend getting yourself a 1000mah 3 cell and run it with a 5x5 prop. You'd probably need something around a 8x4 prop to use it on a 2 cell, and you'll probably run into a torque roll issue. You will probably need the weight of the bigger battery to get the CG right.
Mar 20, 2013, 09:45 PM
Hey guys! Here is a video of a guy on YouTube with the design up and flying - you may want to ask him about his transmitter settings, weight, and motor/prop used

Funjet homemade plane 2 (3 min 46 sec)
Mar 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
I don't think cg will be a problem I can always lengthen it if I have to. I plan on laminating the foam pieces once I figure out where stuff is and mark it cut out deep pockets so nothing is sticking up, laminating it then scroll saw shaping and drum sanding it, and notching it so it is one piece with the wing slid up in the notch. It should look cool for a minute till I pile it up. Gives me a chance to play with my saw and spiral cutters.
Mar 21, 2013, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow
I don't think cg will be a problem I can always lengthen it if I have to. I plan on laminating the foam pieces once I figure out where stuff is and mark it cut out deep pockets so nothing is sticking up, laminating it then scroll saw shaping and drum sanding it, and notching it so it is one piece with the wing slid up in the notch. It should look cool for a minute till I pile it up. Gives me a chance to play with my saw and spiral cutters.
make sure and post pics of your progress!
Mar 22, 2013, 08:12 PM
Using foam in moderation
instead of the pink insulation foam can I laminate DT foam together? how thick? on the wings you leave the paper on all the pieces?

mulling over building this

I can fly the profile F22, but this looks more like it would fly like a wing?
Mar 22, 2013, 09:26 PM
Yes paper is left on which adds to structural strength . If you choose to remove it would strongly suggest a wing spar down the CG point. You could laminate $tree together but I would defiantly take the paper off and use spray glue to laminate them together to save on weight. Flying anything with elevons is pretty close in nature of flight. This should fly close to how an f22 flies.
Mar 22, 2013, 09:42 PM
Using foam in moderation
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc
Yes paper is left on which adds to structural strength . If you choose to remove it would strongly suggest a wing spar down the CG point. You could laminate $tree together but I would defiantly take the paper off and use spray glue to laminate them together to save on weight. Flying anything with elevons is pretty close in nature of flight. This should fly close to how an f22 flies.
Thank you sir.
Mar 23, 2013, 08:07 AM
I always leave the paper on too. Adds lots of strength for the weight.

Spoke to a few other guys - at the CG make it a bit nose heavy and add some up trim. That seems to help dial it in (along with expos and decreased elevator travel)