This thread is privately moderated by BillyWhiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 07, 2013, 03:46 PM
Nova Helicopters designer.
Thread OP
Discussion

3d training - fly, bend, fly, bend.. repeat!

I have been trying to get dialled into two stick or rather four input flying.. I am enjoying it but it is a little frustrating because it feels like 'learning' or training more than flying.. But, I'm getting a little bloody-minded and I'm just going to keep trying and repairing the Edge in between. On the subject of the lil Edge 540 I'm quite impressed by the fact the motor mount is slightly flexible and I've had three or four pile-ins but it has remained in one piece.. Ditto the motor and shaft - I have bent the alloy motor mount but that bends back level without cracking too.

I have added about 10 grams noseweight and my 500 lipo is as far fwd as poss - mainly because I used larger servos in the tail. My CG is about on the carbon spar and I have maybe 1/2 degree downthrust and a degree right-thrust.

The plane is trimmed as good as I can get it with no odd-looking control surface positions, it flies nicely on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, but becomes evily pitch sensitive on full throttle - and I'm using 75% expo and 30° each way elevator throws..

I have started to get a harrier of sorts and can now vary the up elevator a little to increase forward airspeed. Steering via the rudder I have managed to get a circuit at 50 or 60 feet but it's really hard on the old neck muscles at that alt.. I think I'm going to try lower next but try to keep the power low and avoid powering out too soon. I am hoping for some calmer weather as I was trying all this in 12 m.p.h. winds yesterday. That's a bit strong for this size of model - at least whilst learning.

I'm awaiting a Durafly Edge micro now from HobbyKing, I have ordered it all from parts because I'm going 3s with the motor from the Slick 360 and a 12A esc.

I guess that I'll need even calmer weather for this bird but it has such a low mass at 90 grams I hope it'll be really 'bouncable' :-)

I have also decided to buy an impressive-sounding ''Dr Mad Thrust'' alloy motor & fan set-up for my 50mm jet. I got seduced by the idea of 4s power making 650 grams thrust in a sub 400 gram airframe! Just as an antidote to all the heavy 3d practise.. ;-)
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply