Mar 05, 2013, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Razor

Here is a new one I'm getting ready to start "Razor". It comes from an old RCM and since a friend of mine gave me a TD 020, I felt compelled to build something for it. Will do an online build (that is about the only thing that gets me motivated).

John
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2013, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
And here is the first picture. I made a built up wing. Will hopefully start construction tomorrow. Time for bed now!

John
Mar 07, 2013, 01:24 AM
KE your cub.
Nicely cut, what's the span?
Mar 07, 2013, 04:34 AM
Nice.

How did you manage to do the cuts. Do you have your own lazer cutter or something.
Mar 07, 2013, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
I think think span is 28 inches and yes I do have my own laser. I glued up sub-assembly’s last night and hopefully will start putting it all together tonight. Maybe pictures if I get started early enough.

John
Mar 07, 2013, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
Here is what I got done tonight. Putting the triangle stock in was a PITA. She is gonna be tough, plus it will allow for a lot of rounding.

John
Mar 09, 2013, 06:50 PM
That's neat. I've also got a TD .020-powered plane on the board. It's not quite ready for it's public debut at this time.
Mar 10, 2013, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
Only thing to add tonight is I sheeted the top of the fuse and assembled the wing. I do built up leading edges in order to keep them straight and sadly the first one I build was too small so I had to build another one! Will be able to take the wing up from the board tomorrow for pictures. Was beautiful here on the east this weekend so I flew Saturday (120 size Stinger and Tee Dee .051 Hummer) probably the largest and smallest there. Then my 16 year old daughter and I went hiking today. Better enjoy that while it lasts, won't be long now!

John
Mar 11, 2013, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Tonight's progress. Coming along well. Little snafu on the wing. Since the orig one was a foam wing, the preformed trailing edge was attached to a wood edge on the foam. This allowed for full width aileron stock to be used for aileron. I attached the aileron stock to the ribs. I will now have to cut the movable part out. Guess I will add what ever width I leave attached to the ribs to the end of it. Shouldn't be over 1/8 or so. Also, only one aileron??????

John
Mar 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
KE your cub.
My little reedy rat had one aileron, it rolled ok (I could get it to do rolling circles) but I did another, with two ailerons and it was a much better aircraft.
Mar 12, 2013, 11:23 AM
Go ARMY! Beat Navy.
John, it looks great. You must be highly motivated because you build quick. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Oh I'm jealous you have your own laser cutter.
Mar 12, 2013, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Craig
John, it looks great. You must be highly motivated because you build quick. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Oh I'm jealous you have your own laser cutter.
I only build quick to a certain point! I have about 4 planes to this stage. Motivated on this one to get it done so I can move on to numerous others that are at this stage and a couple that need some repairs before this flying season. I keep telling myself that I will cover them all at once so I will only have to drag the stuff out once.

Thanks,

John
Mar 17, 2013, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Clear coated fuse with dope tonight. Might get the wing covered tomorrow?

John
Mar 20, 2013, 02:24 PM
Model Hijacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker
Clear coated fuse with dope tonight. Might get the wing covered tomorrow?

John
Or not?

I think I may be ready to have you cut me one of those, I have that little engine just sitting around doing nothing
Mar 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodwreck
Or not?

I think I may be ready to have you cut me one of those, I have that little engine just sitting around doing nothing
I wound up cutting Q-Tee kits instead................ Got a new control card for my laser and had to do the re-learn thing. Not easy for us "Old Guy's"! I had some bugs with the Razor (reason I like to build proto types first). The TD 020 would not fit the firewall, too big?????? So when I made a new one I just hand shaped/cut the fuse instead of going back into the cad program and fixing it. I would have to do that before selling any.

John

Quick Reply