Jan 01, 2004, 08:45 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Thread OP

Black-Eye Pea and Wild Beast Feast

Bob Severance, club CD extraordinaire, put together the San Antonio Prop Buster New Year's flyin today. He cooked and provided much of the wild beast, others brought other stuff.
Vension, Mmm...
Wild Hog, Mmm...
Dove, Mmm...
Duck, Mmm...
Turkey, Mmm...
Black-eye peas, Mmm...
German Sweet Rice, MMmm...
Various veggies, drinks and Krispy Kremes for dessert.
MMMmmm...

Oh, did I mention we flew a lot also? Temps in upper 60's/lower 70's, humidity in 90% range, overcast gray and wind from 5 to 20 (long steady periods with some bounciness).
Jeremy (my 11 yr) got to fly with his instructor (Bob again!) and he (Jeremy) landed his SuperStar EP without assistance. Doing better than his old man.
Lots of planes and someone else had several hot electrics also.

Cranage seemed to be limited to Jeremy & I.
I fired Big-T#2 Astro-15 cobalt (11T) AND the SUN4001 ESC. I ran at full power on lipo's for over 5 minutes up wind. The motor/esc meltdown was preceeded by a brain meltdown - I forgot to turn down the throttle when switching from 12xrc2400 to 4S4P lipo's. The power level jumped from 300W (Big-T flies good and system is only warm) to 405W (BAD! exceeds motor max amps and pushes ESC max voltages - 16V). The extra volts/amps/watts fired it good. My bad.

BOP was flying great until I made a bad toss and it belly flopped on the runway before I could get it airborne. Wiped out my only APC 7x3. DRAT!

Then Jeremy oops on taxing and has a prop strike - stripped teeth from the GP GD-600 gearbox main gear (I do have a spare - at the house...).

Actually not all that bad for a full day's flying with the guys.
And a great meal too!.
Crash
P.S. Going to try a pic from my phone.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2004, 08:46 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Thread OP
Not great but not too bad.
Did I mention duck gizzards wrapped in bacon?
Mmm...
Crash
Jan 02, 2004, 10:50 AM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Thread OP
Gray day but good flying
(cell phone pic)
Jan 02, 2004, 10:54 AM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Thread OP
Forgot about 2 carnage:
We had one "hand tach" booboo. First aid was administered and he flew more.
And one oops on the sticks snapped a large CF prop $$$.

Here is one club members CAP like scratch build. Maiden well after the noisy ignition module was replaced (sorry, it's gas).
Jan 02, 2004, 10:56 AM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Thread OP
Roque's Row - Just hanging out watching the action.

Quick Reply