Feb 15, 2014, 10:55 AM
AMA 910957
Back at the building board, eh? That's a good thing!

EJ
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2014, 07:21 AM
Thread OP

March 13, 2014 update

So just a quick note to bring you up to date. I continued working on the wings. I have built the servo mounts for the 4 wing servos. I glued mounting points for them onto the appropriate wing ribs, but have not yet drilled them for the mounting screws, which will be coming up, as I can't install the last cap strips on those ribs until the plates are located. Other then those ribs, all cap strips are in place.

I test fitted the flaps and got 50% joy. One fit perfectly. The other is slightly cockeyed and will require work.

I try to do something most days, and can see the end of the wings coming. Once I fix the flap, fit the servo plates and add the last cap strips, then fit the CA hinges on the ailerons (dry), I will add the wingtips and move on to the fuse.
Mar 23, 2014, 07:17 PM
Thread OP

March 23 2014 update

I am continuing to make slow but steady progress. I can't believe I am still on the wings! SOOOOOoooooo many cap strips. Each rib of course, less the areas where the servo mounts would take their place, but then it seemed to me that the trailing edge needed them between each rib, top and bottom. Then the rear spars top and bottom. Finally figured I had them ALL, so I moved on to the hinging of the flaps and ailerons, which went 75% good. I messed the placement of one flaps hinge points, and had to make some adjustments, but it is good now. As I was hinging the ailerons (with simple CA hinges, dry fit only) I discovered ONE LAST cap strip missing, on the bottom of the rear part of the wing tip rib. Seems like it never ends. I desperately want to move on to the fuse, but not until I have the wings done. The servos and mounts have been fitted. I used some cheap plywood to make the mounts with hardwood posts for the servos to screw onto. There is a slot to cut on each aileron mount (no slot on the flap servos as the pushrods go up thru the wing to the top of the flap), reinforcements to add to each mount, control horns to fit to the ailerons then make up appropriate pushrods, and finally the wing tips have to be assembled to the wing and sanded to shape. Egad!
Mar 24, 2014, 08:11 AM
Azzir, It's still good to see you hanging in there. I am following this as I enjoy the plane and am curious of what you think of the plans and parts. Regards, Cliff
Dec 29, 2015, 10:48 PM

L-5 wings

I found your thread and have consistently gone back to it as i am in the process of building my wings on the 1/4 scale L-5. This has been surprisingly time consuming, but have really had to think through the plans and the process of building the wing. Right now i am about to start sheeting, but need to do the strut mounts as you suggested. Hope you continue to build as you have me motivated to continue on mine.
Dec 30, 2015, 07:11 AM
Thread OP
Just a quick reply-as you noticed, my build has basically stopped. Many things going on in my life, including the fact that I can't retire because of Satan, my ex wife. Then there is the new wife, and moving, and a million other projects, not the least of which is a 1/5th scale Dragon Rapide I inherited with one piece wings. The L 5 lives in a partially constructed state in a comfy cardboard box. Someday....
Dec 30, 2015, 11:50 AM
I will use what you have posted and move ahead. Thanks for the response.
Aug 29, 2017, 05:12 PM
Building 1/4 scale L-5 Sentinel. I am looking for help and pictures! Any one have some?
Aug 30, 2017, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassland05
Building 1/4 scale L-5 Sentinel. I am looking for help and pictures! Any one have some?
Try reading what has been posted
May 21, 2019, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzir
Just a quick reply-as you noticed, my build has basically stopped. Many things going on in my life, including the fact that I can't retire because of Satan, my ex wife. Then there is the new wife, and moving, and a million other projects, not the least of which is a 1/5th scale Dragon Rapide I inherited with one piece wings. The L 5 lives in a partially constructed state in a comfy cardboard box. Someday....
My last post, copied above, was dated December, 2015. It is now May 21, 2019. Since then, I have reached my 66th birthday and decided to stop working and take my SS and a stipend from my IRA to live on, while holding my actual pension in reserve, which means Satan will not get a cent. My second wife, meanwhile, threw me out and divorced me amicably. Believe it or not, she's still my only girlfriend and we get along better now that we live apart. The Dragon Rapide mentioned above I gave up on and donated to the Museum at Old Rhinebeck, where it hangs on display out of the weather in one of their hangars.

So, I have been retired full time since early February, and just kind of taking it easy, but with so much time on my hands, boredom can set in. I started to think about that big old Stinson sitting all this time, and decided it was time to make an attempt at finishing it. I am making no promises, but about two weeks ago, I set up my big building table in the LR/kitchen area of my trailer and started to rummage through the box containing my Stinson, and about 5 minutes ago, after catching up on a few lesser projects and repairs, I put glue on wood, tacking the gear plate to the bottom of the forward fuselage right side. Since this kit does not come with instructions, as before I am flying blind and trying to reason out what needs to be done in what order. The plans show the locations for all of the formers, but give precious little info to a novice like me on things like where/how to bend the sides for the taper to the nose and tail. However, the fuse sides from former 2 though 4 appear to be all right angles and my plan is to assemble the left side to the right side at these formers using 90 degree angles, then set the fuse upright and start eyeballing the taper, and working my way toward the tail and nose. Fingers and eyes crossed, I need all the luck I can get. Bill from WOD, if you are subscribed, how is your build going?

Pictures to follow.
May 21, 2019, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
The big building board got some use today as I started gluing the fuse together. I started with the first fuse cabin side-I built both cabin sides 5 years ago-laid flat on the plan. There is only one side view of the fuselage to give you an idea of where the formers go, but the only formers you can assemble while the fuse lay flat is the 3 that are internal to the cabin-2,3 and 4. The good thing is here you can establish a 90* angle to the side and tack things in place. The landing gear plate also can be installed while you are doing this. In fact, it was the LG plate that got the very first glue attaching it to the right side. I think I made a small error here as it is not quite centered since I had it standing on the table and glued it to the bottom of the fuse side. Not moving it now, I will do what I need to do to correct it when the time comes.

Once I got the 3 formers more or less in place I attached the other fuse side and then the 4 cabin roof pieces, which were a tight fit (that's a good thing, I think). Now I had a "box" so to speak with 2 sides, roof support, 3 formers more or less in the right places, and the LG plate on the bottom. I turned it upside down on the table and installed the formers 3a and 3b located according to the plan. I checked the fit of the pre formed landing gear and it is pretty accurate as you can see in the pictures. The bottom of the plane is formed with stringers placed into the remaining formers all the way to the tail. I started them at former 3b I think and will fit them to the formers, gradually bending them as needed on to the tail and we will see if they self align as we go or if I need to do some breaking and or heat bending, and will them turn the plane right side up to work the top.

I must say I kind of surprised myself with what got done today. Will it keep on moving? Stay tuned! The adventures of "Slow Builderman" continue!
May 22, 2019, 07:13 PM
Thread OP

May 22, 2019

I continued with the former installation. The stringers are mainly a nice tight fit so I can put a former in place at the measured distance from the one ahead of it and make adjustments if needed, then thin CA holds them good. From where I sit I can see I added formers 5, 6, 7, and 8, and the fuse is taking shape nicely. For the most part, only the bottom formers are going in place, and I have reached the point where the side crutch pieces that extend back from the cabin area have ended. I seem to be low on these parts. If I don't have enough I will have to make a trip to the craft store or some other supplier.
May 23, 2019, 10:01 AM
The crutch sticks are supposed to be one piece and run all the way back to the tail. This is to keep everything in a straight line.
May 23, 2019, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnflyby
The crutch sticks are supposed to be one piece and run all the way back to the tail. This is to keep everything in a straight line.
I'd be happy to do that if any of them were long enough, but they are not, so I will have to use some reinforced butt joints along the way. Thanks!
May 23, 2019, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
Took a few more baby steps and added a few more pieces of wood and some glue today. I get up, look it over, measure and put some glue on, then set myself down for a bit and go back. I'm OK with my upside down build, working back from the cabin. I take my measurement from the plan and then line up the formers. I found my 1/4 squares for the top longerons. I'm adding pieces I skipped over when I can, and the fuse is lining up pretty straight to my eyeball. Maybe by tomorrow I will finish the gluing all the way to former 10 and turn my attention to the nose/firewall. I guess I should be getting the landing gear attached soon. I'm going to look for J bolts at my local True Value hardware. They may not have them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. I would bet it's a better chance than finding them at Lowe's or Home Dumpo. Here's a couple of more pics.

Quick Reply