Jan 16, 2014, 10:36 PM
... Always Learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helishoen
I have used 900, 5.8, 2.4 and 1.3 and I personally love my 1.3 the best... with the 1.3 I can go around the house and barns on the quad without significant signal loss... using and RMRC digital Tx with Lawmate Rx.. with DragonLink. I did have to give the Vtx / Dl Rx some separation
Any recommendations on Tx power? At what point do you have too much power on the Tx and have to worry about interference with the rest of your electronics?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2014, 10:48 PM
ParagonUAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty_45
Now im having a hard time here, deciding to buy a qav540g or not...... i have been waiting for you Chris to shoot out some more information on some fpv frames. I know you sold a "prototype" fpv frame a little while back. I have been waiting since for maybe just a little bit of information. So far i havent seen anything else other than you said you were waiting on some guys here in the USA to finish out something. Anyway, if you could reply with a little info about if you are going to pursue a fpv frame or not it would be great.

Thanks again!
We are working on it. The FPV frame had its first iteration that was prototyped, there are some people out there with them. We decided to change over to a different style for the second iteration, but didn't prototype it as it would have been a bit more costly and we received some good feedback from it. We are on iteration 3 now, which combines the good stuff from 1 and 2, and takes into account the feedback from everyone (yes, it will be an H-style quad, we submitted to peer pressure).

However, if you're looking to get the 540g, then you are looking for brushless gimbal integration. While this is planned for the FPV frame, it won't be coming out at the same time as the FPV frame, so you may have to wait a bit for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBoon
Any recommendations on Tx power? At what point do you have too much power on the Tx and have to worry about interference with the rest of your electronics?
On 1.3 you want a max of 800mW. Any more is complete overkill on a multirotor. What frequency is your control? Even lower power 1.3 Txs can reduce 2.4GHz control, even with filtering.
Jan 16, 2014, 10:54 PM
... Always Learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMayDay
On 1.3 you want a max of 800mW. Any more is complete overkill on a multirotor. What frequency is your control? Even lower power 1.3 Txs can reduce 2.4GHz control, even with filtering.
My control is a 2.4 Taranis ... Plan on flying some close range FPV with that before I move to LR UHF (DragonLink?). What frequency would you recommend with 2.4 control?

Thanks!
Jan 16, 2014, 11:03 PM
Quote:
My control is a 2.4 Taranis ... Plan on flying some close range FPV with that before I move to LR UHF (DragonLink?). What frequency would you recommend with 2.4 control?

Thanks!

I'm starting to set up for FPV using a Taranis as well. I'm going fixed wing to start with, but the same stuff applies. I went 5.8Ghz for video. It doesn't interfere with 2.4Ghz control, and range isn't an issue as I will likely lose the control channel before the video.

I figure if I really get into FPV, chances are I'll end up trying them all anyway.
Jan 17, 2014, 01:39 AM
Addicted to Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMayDay
We are working on it. The FPV frame had its first iteration that was prototyped, there are some people out there with them. We decided to change over to a different style for the second iteration, but didn't prototype it as it would have been a bit more costly and we received some good feedback from it. We are on iteration 3 now, which combines the good stuff from 1 and 2, and takes into account the feedback from everyone (yes, it will be an H-style quad, we submitted to peer pressure).

However, if you're looking to get the 540g, then you are looking for brushless gimbal integration. While this is planned for the FPV frame, it won't be coming out at the same time as the FPV frame, so you may have to wait a bit for it.
Great, thanks for the info. I can always integrate my own gimbal onto a frame fairly easy. I just really really like the durability you get from a full aluminum frame.

I know one of the prototypes had 7" props on it. What sizes are you looking at for the "v3" ? Props and dimensions possibly? Just getting amped up for another fpv rig, and if it was one with armattan on it, then it would be even more sweet.

Thanks Maymayday~!
Jan 17, 2014, 03:19 AM
ParagonUAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty_45
Great, thanks for the info. I can always integrate my own gimbal onto a frame fairly easy. I just really really like the durability you get from a full aluminum frame.

I know one of the prototypes had 7" props on it. What sizes are you looking at for the "v3" ? Props and dimensions possibly? Just getting amped up for another fpv rig, and if it was one with armattan on it, then it would be even more sweet.

Thanks Maymayday~!
It won't be full aluminum, it'll probably be full CF once the production models get rolling.

Small version will be ~300mm M2M and have up to 8" props, large version will be ~400mm M2M with up to 10" props.

Needless to say, considering small frames like the QAV250 is only 50mm smaller M2M but they have a max of 5"... 8" is going to be way OP.

Quote:

Thanks!
If you are going LRS down the road, you might as well invest in a 1.3 system now and get a low pass filter for your VTx. 1.3 is better for proximity flying as it penetrates buildings and trees pretty well, especially compared to 5.8. A 400mW 1.3 VTx is probably a good bet. One nice thing about 5.8 is the super small antennas...

Anyone have a vtail and 355 CF arm they want to trade for a CF tri tail arm and tail assembly? I've been running my tri for a while and feel like a vtail again.
Jan 17, 2014, 09:19 AM

Props for CNC258

I found these on ebay from a dealer in the US. Has anyone tried these? I figure I'll buy some and see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Tige...item5d484c4618
Jan 17, 2014, 09:28 AM
formerly QuadsDestroyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandFlyer
I found these on ebay from a dealer in the US. Has anyone tried these? I figure I'll buy some and see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Tige...item5d484c4618
You will need to find the same in CW version to use those.
Jan 17, 2014, 10:24 AM
OMG... my quad finally cleared customs on Monday and arrived last night... so had to take today off to fly it.

Great build Chris, I love it. It flies great, very stable... and very fast (much faster than Im accustomed to, two batteries down and just haven't got the nerve to flip it yet....
Jan 17, 2014, 10:28 AM
On the FPV gear, there are advantages for each of the frequencies... I happen to like to fly my quads around my house, barn and tress from my back deck.. and found 1.3 was best for me in those areas...

5.8 worked great for all my park flying and I still use it for that.. and sometimes as a relay to my old fatsharks... and maymayday is right, the antennas are never in your way

I never was very successful in my area with 900mhz, even with filters... I spent alot of time and money trying to fix this one, but I believe the surrounding interferences just beat me.

I have both the Disco and F450 with Dragon Rx and haven't had some of the issues that other s have experienced (maybe just lucky?)...

No plans to FPV the 355 yet... I want to learn how to flip and fly more aggressively with this gem.

Oh yea, sorry forgot what I wanted to say... I found that I didn't need high power Vtx for local stuff... actually very low power works great.. JUST GOOD Antennas !
Last edited by Helishoen; Jan 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Jan 17, 2014, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadsDestroyer
You will need to find the same in CW version to use those.
Sorry, what does "CW" refer to?
Jan 17, 2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandFlyer
Sorry, what does "CW" refer to?
On Quads, you need 2 blades turning Counter-Clockwise (CCW) and 2 blades turning Clockwise (CW). CCW and CW blades are shaped different.
Jan 17, 2014, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr
On Quads, you need 2 blades turning Counter-Clockwise (CCW) and 2 blades turning Clockwise (CW). CCW and CW blades are shaped different.
Thanks!
Jan 17, 2014, 02:15 PM
Just received mine :-)

355 CF :-) Crossing fingers for the maiden flight (technically Chris already tried and tuned it :P)

I have to underline how fast and easy it was to deal with Chris :-)

oh and I have a picture of it :-)

Jan 17, 2014, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahe888
Just received mine :-)

355 CF :-) Crossing fingers for the maiden flight (technically Chris already tried and tuned it :P)

I have to underline how fast and easy it was to deal with Chris :-)

oh and I have a picture of it :-)

Did you buy the fully assembled kit from Chris?

What ESCs are those? They look different then the ones that came with my cnc355. Looks like a very nice quad!

Would you all recommend switching to CF arms while keeping the CNC body that came with my quad?

Quick Reply