Thread Tools
Mar 02, 2013, 01:27 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Build Log

J3 Kitten


My latest project. Thayer Syme plans blown up 150% for 36" wingspan. C10 8g Brushless motor, 6g servos. Just started covering tonight using Coverite Coverlite as I wanted it to have the tissue look.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2013, 02:12 AM
Senile Member
Lnagel's Avatar
Very nice!

Larry
Mar 02, 2013, 03:31 PM
Registered User
Bill Smudge's Avatar
Nice tight clean build! Good work.

Bill
Mar 05, 2013, 11:23 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Covering continues. It's hard work having to brush on the adhesive and seal the edges but wow I love this Coverlite. It's shrinks really well and looks just like tissue and dope... beautiful!
Mar 06, 2013, 12:22 AM
Registered User
vonJaerschky's Avatar
That looks like a real sweetie! Coverlite/Litespan is perfect for these models. By the way, if you don't like brushing the adhesive on the framework, you can use a glue stick. I use an Elmer's Purple glue stick because it's easy to see where the glue is. Just rub it on, let dry for a bit (the purple colour disappears after a few minutes), and then iron on the covering. Looking forward to the flight report.
Mar 06, 2013, 10:04 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
You know I just read something about that yesterday and actually tried it a bit. After trimming I used a glue stick on the edges and it seemed to work well. I also read about ModPodge glue they sell at the craft store, or watered down white glue. I'm going to experiment with all three. That can over Balsarite was like $16. I also need to do a black trim stripe and lettering. I'm thinking I'll just do with with black coverlite, apply glue to the covering and iron it on. I just worry about the trim shrinking a bit when I iron it down. I could also mask and paint, or used Monokote trim sheet. Any suggestions?
Mar 06, 2013, 10:13 AM
Registered User
vonJaerschky's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowdave
I also need to do a black trim stripe and lettering. I'm thinking I'll just do with with black coverlite, apply glue to the covering and iron it on. I just worry about the trim shrinking a bit when I iron it down. I could also mask and paint, or used Monokote trim sheet. Any suggestions?
Yes, that is a great method. I used the same method to make the sunbursts and registration letters on my Min-E Astro Hog, and it worked great. I used Balsaloc adhesive, and just brushed a thin coat on the back of the trim pieces and then ironed them on using my trim iron at a low setting. Shrinking of the trim didn't seem to be an issue. Photo of her here.
Mar 06, 2013, 12:52 PM
Senile Member
Lnagel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowdave
Covering continues. It's hard work having to brush on the adhesive and seal the edges but wow I love this Coverlite. It's shrinks really well and looks just like tissue and dope... beautiful!
Don't apply adhesive to the frame. Use a foam brush to coat one side of the CoverLite with Mod Podge diluted 50% with water. Let the Mod Podge dry then iron the CoverLite onto the airplane just like a plastic film. Works a treat and saves a lot of labor and time.

Larry
Mar 07, 2013, 12:00 PM
IWC
IWC
Registered User
Mellow, thanks for the info on the plans
Mar 09, 2013, 09:50 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Phew covering sure is a lot of work, but man it's thrill when you start to finish up and put it all together. Covering is done and radio in installed. This is my first use of 2.4 ghz radio in small scale. Wow it's neat hot having to deal with a 40" antenna!

Last step is to mount the wing and build and install the wing struts and windshields.
Mar 14, 2013, 11:48 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Nearing completion. Struts are on. All I have left are jury struts and a few windshields. Should be ready for maiden soon. Pictures show how I cheated a bit on the rear canopy. I thought it would be very difficult to cover as open framework so I used thin balsa sheet and made a box. All up weight with a 360 mah battery is 4.85 oz. That about 3.9 oz/sq ft I think.
Mar 15, 2013, 08:33 AM
Registered User
Mellowdave,

Very nice work. The weight sounds about right for the wing span, and the C10 motor is up to the job. Is the battery pack 2S? Prop size.

As for the rear canopy bit, could you remove it and replace with a balsa stick assembly pre-covered with transparent acetate?

Jim R.
Mar 15, 2013, 08:45 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
You could do a stick frame type of box too. If I was going to do it again, I would probably try to not cheat and cover it after installation like the plans... but would be really hard to do without wrinkles with the coverlight. Something with more shrink probably wouldn't be an issue.

I'm using a 2 cell battery, and 5 x 3 prop. Should give me adequate thrust. For more scale flying I prefer the smaller motors with lower thrust and smaller props. Just seems to fly more realistically. Specs I looked up for the motor show;

Direct Drive GWS 5 x 3 7.4 V 4.2 A 105 g / 3.7 oz
Mar 19, 2013, 09:57 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Struts and windshield installed. Last thing I think are the landing gear fairings.
Apr 21, 2013, 11:52 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Pic and short video of it flying. Light and slow flyer.

J3Kitten (0 min 44 sec)


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion J3 kitten video imsofaman Aerial Photography 11 Feb 23, 2010 05:20 PM
Help! plans for J3 kitten b36roxs Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 6 Jul 04, 2008 12:59 AM
Discussion Scratch building a .40 J3 Kitten weather_man The Builders Workshop 5 Apr 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Motor/Gearbox for J3 Kitten Mauilvr Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 4 Jun 15, 2003 08:05 PM