Jul 28, 2020, 04:40 PM
Cloudrider
Steve the Pulsar 4mtr Pro e states these numbers Centre of Gravity 95-105 mm from wing leading edge.

Is this your Version?

Paul. UK
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2020, 04:41 PM
Yes it is.
Jul 28, 2020, 05:31 PM
I have both 3.6 and 4.0, both with cg well back to the rear of the range and both are neutral to pulling up gently on a dive test.

I have had them tuck nose down using significant flap at high speed, but not during a clean dive.
Jul 28, 2020, 05:55 PM
Thanks, I’ll retrim and try 98mm and let you know.
Jul 28, 2020, 06:45 PM
Had to add slightly less than 1/2 oz to the tail to come in at 97-98mm, fingers crossed.
Jul 28, 2020, 06:57 PM
399' and holding
Instead of adding tail weight, could you reposition the battery?
On my E- 3.6m I have a relatively light motor and was able to balance but just component rearrangement.
Its the same fuselage is it not?
Jul 28, 2020, 07:14 PM
Unfortunately no. I'm using a 3S-2200 and it fills the battery compartment. I had a Hacker motor on hand that meets the specs. I suspect it may be a bit heavier than others. But 0,46 oz in the tail should be no big deal. We'll see.
Jul 28, 2020, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Had to add slightly less than 1/2 oz to the tail to come in at 97-98mm, fingers crossed.
What motor and battery are you using? Ah, 3S 2200

For max power around 450W, which gives a 1.6kg 3.6 up to 9m/s climb, a decent 3S 1000mah is adequate for several climbs, and for sport flying I can get 4 climbs to over 150m out of a 114g 3S 1300.

There are a lot of variations in nose length depending on the desired motor diameter - mine were both cut short for 40mm spinners to take 35mm outrunners in a can
Last edited by scirocco; Jul 28, 2020 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Posted at the same time
Jul 28, 2020, 07:23 PM
I know this is blasphemy to many but I try to choose battery sizes that can be used in multiple planes. I mounted the Hacker quite some time ago and just don't remember the exact specs.

Bottom line: I'm just looking for a nice sport 4M sailplane for relaxing flying, so an oz or so is not going to make much of a difference to me.

Thanks very much for all your help. I'll let you know how the re-maiden goes!

Steve
Jul 28, 2020, 07:58 PM
Quote:
I know this is blasphemy to many but I try to choose battery sizes that can be used in multiple planes. I mounted the Hacker quite some time ago and just don't remember the exact specs.

Bottom line: I'm just looking for a nice sport 4M sailplane for relaxing flying, so an oz or so is not going to make much of a difference to me.

Steve
Absolutely - if the 2200 and some ballast works for you, you have an awesome soarer that will still outperform almost anything short of a molded ship.
Jul 28, 2020, 08:41 PM
399' and holding
Quote:

Steve
I do the same. I just happen to use 3s850's Good for 2 full height launches, 3 if I am careful and there is no/ minimal wind.
Jul 29, 2020, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys, greatly appreciate your input. I tested the Pulsar at 97-98mm CG and it flies GREAT, very gentle pullout after a dive test.

Steve
Aug 08, 2020, 01:05 PM
Launch the drones ...

Hangar Queen No More

FINALLY - Finally flew my 3.2m Pulsar - had it for so many years. And 92mm CG was perfect for me. First time flying a glider with a wingspan over 2m in 15yrs. It's a pretty bird. The vario Rx was fun - there were a couple thermals out there this afternoon.

Never used the rudder. And only played with the flaps - landed without em into a slight headwind. Hovered the glider, sometimes - it's got so much lift.

This power train did vertical climbs while pulling 32A.
  • Motor: Fun 500-27 6.2:1
  • Prop: 18x12 folding
  • ESC: PlatinumPro 60A ESC w 7A BEC
  • Batt: 35c3s2200mah

And on a side note (always wanted to say that) I laminated the wings of the ZOHD Drift - making a proper glider out of it. They are just too flexible unlaminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green
Ready to finally fly my classic Pulsar 3200 (electric) - I say classic, cuz was purchased in 2008, and never yet been flown. Flap, elev, rudder and ailerons. This week I'll fly it, maybe tomorrow. Got a 92mm COG and a FrSky G-RX6 in it, for the vario. Just flew its cousin, the Pulsar 2m this week, first time in a couple years (also with the G-RX6 in it) ... and it was good - and although FPV drones have been taking most of my attention - this is the week for the big Pulsar. Hangar queen no more.

Tried flying a wing this year - everybody's doing it it seems - but those things are twitchy, draggy, noisy and don't glide much.

Also tried a ZOHD Drift last week - a useless little thing. Because it looked like a glider - doesn't want to glide though.

Nothing but drones and gliders, proper gliders, from now on.
And still flying those 'drones' in my yard. They do things planes cannot do. But they lack nostalgia and grace.
Last edited by Tim Green; Aug 08, 2020 at 03:16 PM.
Aug 08, 2020, 07:48 PM
Hey Tim, move the CG back a little at a time and it will really come alive. Most 3.2's end up at about 98mm. Everyone had their own preferences, so you may have it right where you want.
Aug 09, 2020, 09:58 AM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark426
Hey Tim, move the CG back a little at a time and it will really come alive. Most 3.2's end up at about 98mm. Everyone had their own preferences, so you may have it right where you want.
Really? Ok - thx. Next time I'm out, I'll try it at 98.

Quick Reply