Feb 28, 2013, 12:27 PM
AMA 7224
Thread OP
Discussion

The E-Pulsar Owners Thread

At a suggestion in the 3.2 Pulsar thread, here's the place to put all things E-Pulsar.
Any model,any size,anything related to this soaring machine including builds,flying,radio setups, tricks or tips, etc.
I'll kick it off with a couple pics
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2013, 12:58 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
Great idea! Subscribed.

Question: Esprit sell a Control Horn Brass Surface set. I bought some for my 3.6. Now...when I was learning to build (when we used to do that) I was always told to keep the pivot point over the hinge line. However, with these, the pivot point is about 1/4" behind the hinge. I do not fully understand the mechanics of why this would be a bad thing, but would love some input before I go ahead and use them. Here is a link to them so you can see what I mean.

http://www.espritmodel.com/control-h...ets-m3-10.aspx

This link also shows one attached on a Pulsar wing.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks.

Preston
Last edited by jaizon; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Feb 28, 2013, 02:59 PM
AMA 7224
Thread OP
I should have mentioned but figured it goes without saying, prospective pilot/owners are of course welcome too. Any and all Pulsar vendors could add input and it too would be very welcome. Speaking of vendors, here's how some of the parts are made by Vladimir's Models from Esprit's site, I don't thing ZB and Miss Lucuy will mind.

http://www.espritmodel.com/explanati...echnology.aspx
Feb 28, 2013, 07:24 PM
Subscribed! Looking forward to various Pulsar flight reports this Summer.
Mar 01, 2013, 02:07 PM

Arming

I'm thinking of installing a clean small arming plug on my 3.2. It would be nice to arm/disable it quickly at the field without having to remove the nose each time in between flights.
Anybody have one on any size Pulsar?
Mar 01, 2013, 03:06 PM
Wow... how timely... just posted to the other Pulsar 2E Build thread the below.... and then saw this... Sorry for a double... truly appreciate any help!
____

Hello all....

After following this thread for some time I have taken the leap and ordered a Pulsar 2E....

One of my first questions is I noticed the flap linkage is ON TOP of the wing... has anyone tried to put it underneath by cutting out the brace and epoxying it allowing servo to reside underneath?

Thanks for all the information on this site!
Mar 01, 2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefisher
Wow... how timely... just posted to the other Pulsar 2E Build thread the below.... and then saw this... Sorry for a double... truly appreciate any help!
____

Hello all....

After following this thread for some time I have taken the leap and ordered a Pulsar 2E....

One of my first questions is I noticed the flap linkage is ON TOP of the wing... has anyone tried to put it underneath by cutting out the brace and epoxying it allowing servo to reside underneath?

Thanks for all the information on this site!
My 3.6 Pro comes with the openings on the bottom. I guess they feel that will work.

Also, my Jeti DC-16 comes with a throttle lock on the main screen and they are coming out with a locking switch as well, but I do like the CC idea.
Mar 01, 2013, 10:37 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun

New E 3.6 REF

Just got a 3.6 two days ago. I'm working on fitting a MVVS 5.6 960 into the pod.
Wish I had spent the extra for the recommended Neu$$$ inrunner. Anyway it's a tight fit. Added 3/16" ply behind the firewall after sanding the band of epoxy behind the firewall with a flap sanding tool on the dremmel. Saw this idea somewhere on the forums, drop the sander tool in the fuse with the shaft hanging out and hook it up the the dremmel and sand the epoxy off. The sanding tool is pretty aggressive so be careful if you try it and remove often to check progress. Would be a shame to sand through. Holding a torch at the firewall while looking in the canopy hole helps to see progress.

The 38mm spinner is a good fit on the pod. Had a small problem getting one of the CF joiners out of it's tip panel. Turns out it had a little dab of glue on it. I used a #1 Jorgensen clamp to grab it tight and wiggled for a half hour before the glue finally cracked and it slipped out. You can see the leftover glue in the image. I needed to work the joiners a little so they would slip in and out without straining. Just like every one else, very impressed with the quality.

James
Mar 02, 2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech
Just got a 3.6 two days ago. I'm working on fitting a MVVS 5.6 960 into the pod.
Wish I had spent the extra for the recommended Neu$$$ inrunner. Anyway it's a tight fit. Added 3/16" ply behind the firewall after sanding the band of epoxy behind the firewall with a flap sanding tool on the dremmel. Saw this idea somewhere on the forums, drop the sander tool in the fuse with the shaft hanging out and hook it up the the dremmel and sand the epoxy off. The sanding tool is pretty aggressive so be careful if you try it and remove often to check progress. Would be a shame to sand through. Holding a torch at the firewall while looking in the canopy hole helps to see progress.

The 38mm spinner is a good fit on the pod. Had a small problem getting one of the CF joiners out of it's tip panel. Turns out it had a little dab of glue on it. I used a #1 Jorgensen clamp to grab it tight and wiggled for a half hour before the glue finally cracked and it slipped out. You can see the leftover glue in the image. I needed to work the joiners a little so they would slip in and out without straining. Just like every one else, very impressed with the quality.

James
Nice work on the motor mounting. Looks good.

Did you weigh your airframe, empty? Mine came in at 34.5 oz.

Preston
Mar 02, 2013, 05:19 PM
If it flies - I want one!

Motor, weight, joiners

My 3.2 Pro came out at 1560gm ready to go - not sure what that works out to in vintage units.
Motor is MVVS 4.6/840 Sport and I had the same difficulties getting it fully up the nose - sanding flap wheel worked well to remove the splooge to the point where a 3mm spacer could keep the motor in place. Fitted three spaced balsa wedges to locate and firm the rear of the motor as well.
I love the fixed outside case and rear connectors on the MVVS - no wires to sneak around a rotating barrel. One downside of the heavier motor is that the battery has to go right back under the fuselage 'roof' aft of the cockpit opening - tricky to mount and get in and out for battery change.
It never occurred to me that the wingtip joiners should come out - I have simply left them where they were when I received the kit.
Test flew mine last weekend on an undersized prop (12x6.5, only draws around 26A) and it still climbed beautifully - estimate well over 200m in 30 sec. The glide is a floating dream! Played with some small thermals, but basically just worked on getting the trim right. Two flights totalling 45 minutes used around half of the 2200mAh battery (around 8 climbs, from memory). I have no competition ambitions, just enjoy chasing thermals.
I need more practice and some trimming to get the descent under brakes nice and smooth, but overall a lovely aircraft and big grin!
Cheers,
PeteM
I need practice
Mar 02, 2013, 07:14 PM
AMA 7224
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
My 3.2 Pro came out at 1560gm ready to go - not sure what that works out to in vintage units...........

55oz. Here's an easy to use calculator for weight conversions:
http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html

This is the second bird with fit troubles using the sport motor I've read. I just fitted mine up the other day it was spot on with no splooge interferance using the regular 4.6/840 sailplane motor. I too like the MVVS idea wit the plugs built into to the motor case. This is the 4th MVVS I have and they all run great.
My 3.6 RES should be done this week with test flights at the will and whim of the weather gods.
Mar 02, 2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker
55oz. Here's an easy to use calculator for weight conversions:
http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html

This is the second bird with fit troubles using the sport motor I've read. I just fitted mine up the other day it was spot on with no splooge interferance using the regular 4.6/840 sailplane motor. I too like the MVVS idea wit the plugs built into to the motor case. This is the 4th MVVS I have and they all run great.
My 3.6 RES should be done this week with test flights at the will and whim of the weather gods.
That's great. Still waiting on my Neu motor.
Let us know how it goes! Video if you can.
And work on getting to the Polecat. You really don't want to miss that.
Mar 02, 2013, 09:38 PM

Thank you!

Great conversion page, Leadchucker! I'll be able to convert my climb and descent rates into Furlongs per Fortnight!
Cheers,
Pete
Mar 03, 2013, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
My 3.2 Pro came out at 1560gm ready to go - not sure what that works out to in vintage units.
I need practice
Hmmm, this came as a bit of surprise for me, I expected much lighter...
Don't take it wrong, I don't intend to complain, but to clarify myself what could bring different a Pulsar for me, compared with my BoT, at close weight and size. A large hole in the wallet for sure, but I must justify it to my wife, other than great look.
Will the airfoil alone change the way how she flies so dramatical?
Mar 03, 2013, 06:19 AM

Light or heavy?

Renatoa,
Your point of view is interesting - I was surprised the other way, as the Pulsar is replacing my seven-year old Optima 100 (2.5m, 1660gm) so the weight of the larger sailplane is actually less. Wing loading around 7.4 oz/sq ft (there I go with units again!) or 22 gm/sq dm for Pulsar, vs 11 or so oz/sq ft or 33 gm/sq dm for the smaller Optima.
Our area is fairly windy, so the lighter wing loading may actually be a disadvantage much of the time.
The full house controls with crow braking and camber, vs rudder/elevator and simple spoilers were attractions for me, but mostly just the lure of modern technology and elegance. On performance grounds (I fly for fun only) you could not justify moving from the lovely Bird of Time, which has similar span and a nice, thin low camber section. I suspect camber is a minor advantage at best, and controllability with good dihedral and rudder is certainly good enough.
I guess an aircraft either grabs you or does not?
Fly and enjoy!
PeteM

Quick Reply