Feb 27, 2013, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

NAZA GPS + MAVLink OSD

Latest firmware, manuals, and configuration software can be downloaded at http://firebug24k.com/fbosd
Store at http://firebug24k.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 9JUN:
EZOSD current/voltage sensor now supported with latest config tool and firmware.

Demo showing off the new SD card logging features as well as the Ghost model that fits completely inside the DJI Phantom. SD card logging will be enabled in the new firmware to be released 03 June!

(4 min 25 sec)

Ghost installed in a DJI Phantom - you can't see it!

MinimOSD Configuration Tutorial Video:
NOTE! This video is for changing things on the OSD, like for non-USA TVs. You DO NOT need to use this program or follow this video tutorial for basic setup of the FBOSD. Make sure to follow the instructions in the manual - they're required, and this video is OPTIONAL.

(11 min 6 sec)

Update 1MAY: Version 1.1 is now available. Future software updates will allow addition of additional devices such as a barometer, SD card writer, and more! Store is live at http://firebug24k.com/. Images of v1.1:

Update 15APR: Details on how to switch to PAL instead of NTSC are here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=174

Update 3APR: GPS wire installation video!

(4 min 18 sec)

Update 1APR: One of the cool things you can do with the FBOSD and a data modem is record where your quad flies, and plot it in Google Earth. Here's a test flight sent in by one of the testers of the beta device, flown here in sunny SoCal.

Last edited by Firebug24k; Jun 09, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2013, 05:34 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Very cool. Need to get some screenshots of data or video up though. Sounds like a warranty buster on the Naza GPS, but that's not totally important to everyone. I would be interested.
Feb 27, 2013, 05:39 PM
I agree. If the "how-to" photos look doable, then I think there would be a lot of folks interested in such a kit.

I mean, think about all of us old Mikrokopter guys who are accustomed to soldering BL's into a PDB! Many of us have probably (reluctantly) gone to Naza, but would love to have that kind of easy/predictable flying along with FPV/OSD features.

Who's gonna be first to test whether Naza's RTH works beyond 250m! (MK guys will get that one.)
Feb 27, 2013, 05:53 PM
Albuquerque USA
I'm in for two. You need to post screen shot so we can suggests information to add onto your OSD to make it better as long as it have

Number of satellite
Battery meter
Flight mode
Attitude
Elevation
Distance from home
And heading
Feb 27, 2013, 07:13 PM
Irv
Irv
AKA the"Old Flyer" KI6SPO
An interface to Naza data, and AttoPilot type power monitor to the 3DR radio modules with Mavlink data that would work with the APM Mission Planner should make someone rich.
Feb 27, 2013, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
I'm pretty sure that it will indeed void the warranty on the Naza, I don't see how to work around that. If I did the soldering myself I'd guarantee it worked before I sent it back out, however.

Looks like a very positive response. I'll put some more work into it this week and have some photos/videos up on exactly how it all goes together (and probably a demo with my QAV500). I'm definitely open to feature requests/etc as well; in the first version it's easy to do voltage, current, and GPS info, and with a lot more poking around with the data stream from the NAZA I might be able to pull out a few more data points, or just do "fun" stuff with the existing data - top speed, max altitude, etc.
Feb 27, 2013, 08:01 PM
Albuquerque USA
Looking forward to it firebug
Feb 28, 2013, 12:51 AM
Thread OP

Update

Update 2/27:

Proof of concept video below. Basically everything works, just need to make a better circuit board and improve the software a bit - since I know there's an interest in it, that's what I'm working on next.

I wired the GPS up to my board circuit, then connected it to a 3DR modem. Connected my laptop to another 3DR modem, and ran QGroundControl on there (qgroundcontrol.org). Configured the circuit to send GPS position data every 1 second to the GCS via the radio link, worked great! I'll try APM next, but it's the same protocol so I can't see why it would have any issues.

I looked into current monitoring, and it makes the thing significantly more expensive if I was to build that into the module. So I'll write the software for it, but let you plug in your own module. I don't have any experience using any one in particular, is the AttoPilot like this one (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9028) a typical choice? If so, I'll buy one and test it out. Voltage monitoring is easy though, I'll put that in.

Finally, and I haven't proven this yet, but it should also work on the DJI Phantom (which I own, so I can work on this as well). Only issue for that one is it's not quite as accessible on the inside as compared to most other multirotors.

(0 min 51 sec)
Last edited by Firebug24k; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Feb 28, 2013, 02:02 AM
Irv
Irv
Looks like everything I asked for and more. I forgot about QGroundcontrol.
The SparkFun Power sensor is the right one.
Any idea when you can release a solution (board, firmware, and instruction manual)?
Do you need beta testers?
Mar 01, 2013, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
I played around with a board design yesterday, and came up with something that will work for the initial revision. It's super tiny. It will pull power from the NAZA itself by connecting to the LED indicator module port (which it also uses to figure out flight modes, satellite lock, etc). The full list of connections are:

1) Input Wire from GPS "puck"
2) Input Wires from LED unit for status and power
3) Output wires to telemetry radio/OSD
4) Output wires to current sensor (optional)
5) Output wire to lipo cell for voltage monitor

I will need a tester or two. I assume you're interested?
Mar 01, 2013, 01:23 PM
Albuquerque USA
shoot me one i'm happy to test what ever you throw at it. Let me know what you need or what else i need to make it work
Mar 01, 2013, 09:46 PM
Irv
Irv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug24k
I played around with a board design yesterday, and came up with something that will work for the initial revision. It's super tiny. It will pull power from the NAZA itself by connecting to the LED indicator module port (which it also uses to figure out flight modes, satellite lock, etc). The full list of connections are:

Yes, I am very interested!
Mar 02, 2013, 02:34 AM
kitesurfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug24k

i would also be interested in testing
Mar 02, 2013, 04:31 AM
I wiil test for you just let me know.
Mar 02, 2013, 05:59 PM
ma:re
Awesome, please put me on the buyers list. Thanks

Quick Reply