Kloud Queen Build
Okay, now the part where I try to put my ideas into practice. I was never real fond of the thought of trying to make and properly seal the side windows. Considering where the exhaust exits the engine, on both sides - level with the side windows, proper sealing will be crucial for the longevity of this airplane. After seeing the plane covered in all transparent yellow I realized what needed to be done. Some creative trimming results in the illusion of flush windows. Had it to do over, I'd spring for a roll of clear Ultracote just for the windows, but I do think the yellow tinted windows give it a bit of an attitude.
To make the template I started by scanning the plan and creating a .jpg image. This .jpg image was inserted into a blank acad drawing and it was scaled to achieve 1:1. I played around with to lines arcs and fillets until I arrived that the shape shown in picture #2. Fortunately it turned out to be just the right size to fit on a sheet of legal paper so printing it was easy. From there it was taped down to a piece of covering and the cutting board. Cutting it out was a challenge. Of course my french curves were nowhere to be found, so I had to improvise. A couple of sockets form the tool box and a couple of different cans from the pantry provided the correct radii. I worked it slow and got decent results.
In case you were wondering, trimming with Ultracote on top of Ultracote is very easy. No need for windex and a squeegee. At room temperature the adhesive side will not stick to the shiny side so positioning and repositioning your trim piece is easy. Once you have it where you want just lock it in with a 220 deg. F iron, starting from the center and working your way out. The only bubbles you get are when you trap air yourself. So work carefully and it will turn out perfectly bubble free.
No I just have to do it all over again on the other side.
ImagesView all Images in thread