Dec 31, 2003, 02:58 PM
Thread OP

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Second Base

I went flying this morning at Broadneck park on College Pkwy. It's a pretty nice park with 2 ball fields, and 3 soccer fields. The only times I haven't been able to fly were during softball/soccer league season.

So, I got there around 9AM. There was no wind at all. The baseball infield was soft mud, as usual.
I am always glad to see that, because it keeps the other user groups away from me. Even though it is muddy, it will still support my Switchback Sport. The tires hardly get dirty.

So I sat the plane on the third base line, field checked it, moved to shortstop position, and took off into no wind.
What fun. I got four long flights out of three Lipo packs, with many landings, and takeoffs.
I think I like that part of flying more than any other. When the plane is very close to the ground.

My Switchback Sport does many things well, but ground handling is not one of them. It is a little squirlly until the rear wheel gets off the ground, then it's fine. So what I do is give it about half throttle, and get it pointed in the approimate direction that I want to go. Then give it full throttle, the rear wheel comes up, fine steer it where I want it to go, give the elevator just a blip of up, and release it.
The plane lifts off at about a 1 ft rise for every 3 ft of distance. A very scale looking takeoff.

So, anyway, what happened was, I gave it 1/2 throttle, it moved off, not exactly where I wanted it to go, but close, except it was headed toward the pitchers mound. That looks about right I thought,so I ignored the mound, thinking I would give it full throttle when I came down the other side.. it climbed up the home plate side of the mound, but it didn't ride down. Instead it stayed at that height ( about 12" off the ground), until I realised it was flying, and gave it the gas.

Well, maybe you had to be there. It was a lot more impressive watching it, then writing about it.

Happy New Year to All.. I hope you are having as much fun as I am.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2003, 06:13 PM
Very scale like Harrier "jump jet" take off. Well done.

Quick Reply