Feb 25, 2013, 04:30 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Thread OP
Discussion

Dammit - SAH-DER v SOLE-DER

I never bothered looking up the pronunciation of this word up until just this moment.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+solder

I'll still probably say sole-der because I'm a rebel like that.

to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2013, 04:33 PM
hahaha ... I thought that a bit odd on your CC3D build video but I figured it was just a European influence or something
Feb 25, 2013, 05:08 PM
sawwwwww-durrrrrrrrrr
Feb 25, 2013, 05:16 PM
q {bld(); fly(); brk(); q();}
Both are correct. SoL-der is more english, and is technically more correct. I say sawder because it sounds better and that's how I was taught in school. SoLder sucker just sounds harsh.
Feb 25, 2013, 05:29 PM
It Eats Vets
I'm sure some of our English friends would love to point out our American deficiencies as far as pronunciation goes, but a very real case can be made that the original pronunciation is in fact "sodder" and not "sole-der" as they would like us to believe. It's all good either way but.......

I do recall reading the findings of a language study whose root question was who sounds more like 17th century (and earlier) speakers of old world English, modern Americans or modern Brits. Apparently it's Americans. According to this study modern British pronunciation and accent has strayed further from that spoken back during the early colony days than that of modern American English.

Who'd a thunk it?
Feb 25, 2013, 11:45 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening
I'm sure some of our English friends would love to point out our American deficiencies as far as pronunciation goes, but a very real case can be made that the original pronunciation is in fact "sodder" and not "sole-der" as they would like us to believe. It's all good either way but.......

I do recall reading the findings of a language study whose root question was who sounds more like 17th century (and earlier) speakers of old world English, modern Americans or modern Brits. Apparently it's Americans. According to this study modern British pronunciation and accent has strayed further from that spoken back during the early colony days than that of modern American English.

Who'd a thunk it?
So British English is more highly evolved than US English. No surprises there.
Latest blog entry: Make your own EDF afterburner
Feb 25, 2013, 11:54 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Thread OP
I enjoy when our datacenter guys in London tell us servers there went t*ts up
Feb 25, 2013, 11:59 PM
Im under the pump here at the moment but just quickly - those that drive on the correct side of the road say solder, those that drive on the wrong side of the road say sawdurr

No flying today - slightly large cyclone about to hit (NW of Western Australia!!)
Feb 26, 2013, 12:31 AM
Good Better Best quest.
In America is the letter L silent in solder ,for a while I kept worrying about all those sodders being used ,a sod to me is a spade of dirt funny old world isn't it?.
Feb 26, 2013, 09:06 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy
I enjoy when our datacenter guys in London tell us servers there went t*ts up

The approved aviation version of that is "Tango Uniform".
Latest blog entry: Make your own EDF afterburner
Feb 26, 2013, 08:58 PM
It Eats Vets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
So British English is more highly evolved than US English. No surprises there.

Now why you wanna try an go make it all personal?

Just for the record, more highly evolved (whatever that is) doesn't automatically mean better, it just means it's different.
Feb 26, 2013, 09:02 PM
It Eats Vets
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
In America is the letter L silent in solder ,for a while I kept worrying about all those sodders being used ,a sod to me is a spade of dirt funny old world isn't it?.

Sure is! Quite a difference in meaning between a "fag" in the US and one in England.

And you guys! I always wondered what you guys had against fellas named Al and why you kept calling him a Minium.

Al....You Minium!
Feb 26, 2013, 11:02 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:
Sure is! Quite a difference in meaning between a "fag" in the US and one in England.

And you guys! I always wondered what you guys had against fellas named Al and why you kept calling him a Minium.

Al....You Minium!
Fag is used in both instances here same as fa ggot also known as an english meal heard Obama's clanger today and laughed .
Feb 28, 2013, 04:00 PM
It Eats Vets
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
Fag is used in both instances here same as fa ggot also known as an english meal heard Obama's clanger today and laughed .

Up here it's mostly a derogatory term used by those intellectually challenged, and rarely used as a term for a cigarette or bundle of sticks. Two other definitions.

What's a good time and place to visit down your way? My wife is from Japan and apparently Australia is a fairly popular destination for them, and she's been making noises. If you're married, you know how that goes. Once those noises start.....
Feb 28, 2013, 06:17 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:
Up here it's mostly a derogatory term used by those intellectually challenged, and rarely used as a term for a cigarette or bundle of sticks. Two other definitions.

What's a good time and place to visit down your way? My wife is from Japan and apparently Australia is a fairly popular destination for them, and she's been making noises. If you're married, you know how that goes. Once those noises start.....
Well because its a big country one needs to know if you want temperant or the tropical weather ,Autumn "fall" march april in South Australia or Victoria are popular , but winter in Queensland is where a lot go , what sort of interests does she have ?

Quick Reply