Mermaid depron water/park flyer ***Plans*** - Page 44 - RC Groups
Jul 09, 2017, 12:51 PM
Я тоже с центровкой разобрался. Теперь летит отлично. В процессе ремонта опустил аккумуляторную площадку. Даже с выключенным двигателем садится, практически, "пешком" (если крен не трогать)
Поставлю небольшие винглеты в зоне конца элеронов, должно помочь.

I also dealt with the alignment. Now it's flying fine. During the repair, I lowered the battery pad. Even with the engine off, it sits, practically "on foot" (if the ailerons are not touched )
I'll put small winglets in the zone of the end of the aileron, it should help.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2017, 12:04 PM
mermaid 20 kmh wind / mermaid 20 km h de vent (5 min 33 sec)
Oct 30, 2017, 02:16 PM
Well, a year and a half later I finally have a picture of my rc mermaid that I built. It was originally fitted with 72mhz, but I updated it to 2.4 within a month. Since this was my second plane, I didn't think much about range or size of receiver. I put one of the tiny spektrum park receivers in it, and it went out of range. It also didn't help that the transmitter was on the low power setting. Of course it nose dived and became a pile of shredded foam, but it taught me a valuable lesson. It was such a great flyer that I would love to build another someday, perhaps out of balsa (my depron planes wear out before I get bored of them). Thanks for all the help while I was building it!
Oct 30, 2017, 04:46 PM
Retired CAD guy
Rooster,

Now that your an accomplished RC pilot you can upgrade to a
more popular and aerobatic version of this type of design.
The SlowBoat has been built in great numbers all around the USA et al.

This is the build thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1864719

I have two sizes both in MPF foam.
http://www.hoosiercutoutservice.com/planes/swanson.htm

Say Hi to the guys at Tri Valley and SBRC for me !
I've been a member in Both club in years past.

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Oct 30, 2017, 08:23 PM
AMA 179-CD
The Mermaid really is a great flying model. I've two of them and regularly fly them at our local park. It looks nice in the air too. Ed
Apr 29, 2018, 02:35 AM
Hello guys,

I've built a Mermaid too at 65% scale and 200g AUW. With a less powerful motor than yours comparing to AUW.
My mermaid flies very bad. I have a lot of pitch down. Tried to set a down angle to the motor, not better...

I don't think it's a matter of power, I have 40W for 200g airplane.

Will try a plus 5 degrees this week...

I also added a mix throttle-elevator. It flies better but weird.

In fact I can't understand how your models fly well without mixing throttle with elevator or without negative setting if elevator or motor?

Edit: maybe the 5 degrees up thrust angle is equivalent to a negative stab angle, and this creates a nose up pitch which counteracts the down pitch related to the height of the thrust line. So I will try this up thrust angle soon.
Last edited by zikkmu; Apr 29, 2018 at 04:28 AM.
Apr 30, 2018, 05:31 PM
AMA 179-CD
Hi Zikkmu, I've built two Mermaids exactly to the plans and they both fly perfectly as designed ... they are fast at WOT and quickly descent gracefully at idle. Perfect for seaplanes where you want them to "plop" on the water without extended landing drama. Regards, Ed
May 01, 2018, 04:03 AM
Ok, I believe that you have no throttle elevator mix in your transmitter... I thought also I had built it according o the plans but I can't see any thrust angle in the plan.

Last thing: please what does WOT mean?������
May 01, 2018, 04:16 AM
absolutely maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zikkmu
Ok, I believe that you have no throttle elevator mix in your transmitter... I thought also I had built it according o the plans but I can't see any thrust angle in the plan.

Last thing: please what does WOT mean?������

Hi zikkmu,

WOT = wide open throttle

Regards
Ian
May 01, 2018, 04:55 AM
Thank knyou very much! I will be considering the plans and see where is my mistake

Quick Reply