This thread is privately moderated by BillyWhiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2013, 11:09 PM
Nova Helicopters designer.
Thread OP
Discussion

e-flite Edge 540qq and 3d experimentation...

I had one of those days today when I made one step back but two forward..
It came about in a funny way - I was on my second flight of the morning with the lil Edge - it was breezy, maybe 8 to 10 mph, and after some tight low basic loops and rolls slammed together (the tiny Edge begs to be man-handled, especially in the wind) - I flew behind my head and lost my bearings - result a vertical pile-in!
Undaunted I discarded the battered cowl (with it's 8 grams noseweight inside) & bent the motor back to where it was approximately. I re-launched and 'bingo' what a fantastic difference the result - the rearward CG and lighter weight transformed the plane.. I did a tight loop at 50 feet, into an outside tight loop and hit stall speed at just the right attitude - I hovered for a second before falling out left.. I landed the Edge and boy, it was sooo slow I could have caught it!

Back home, I fabbed a new ply/foam firewall and hot glued it in place, I bent the alloy motor mount level and set it into my bulkhead at zero sidethrust and about a half degree downthrust. My CG was at 45mm from the L.E. & the flying weight was 227 grams.

I charged the lipos and headed back to the field with a feeling today I was going to learn something important.. I was expecting to have to retrim so I cheated by adding some left aileron trim b4 launching. It didn't need it so I climbed vertically and dialled out a few clicks of left ail..
The plane was transformed, soooo responsive still but much more precise and in balance somehow. I tried some knife edge and woah.. it worked! I flicked it left aileron and left stick inward.. she was so stable k.e. I could steer around on the elevator! I mobbed around a bit to see if she still flew on the wing nicely then attempted to stall her - power on - and got a stable hover for about 5 or 6 secs - I think if I'd have tried rather than let my jaw hit the ground I could have got a bit more hang time.. I landed before the lipos hit LVC - somewhat elated!!

The plane isn't all that pretty without any cowling but handsome is as handsome does.... On the flip side I received a new fus, wings & motor etc from Horizon Hobby (thank you Kent) - which I think was only fair after my prop shed a blade on the second flight, causing the motor mount to shatter mid-air & the plane to instantly look second-hand!
I am going to buy an rx/sx/esc set-up to get the new 540qq into the air in addition to the original one as they are a great little airframe when you find your own way to get into the groove with them - many roads to Rome I suppose!
Just need to find a source for spare cowlings...
Last edited by BillyWhiz; Feb 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply