Mar 05, 2014, 01:03 PM
yes I understand, I was thinking one thing
I keep the same measures of head to CG, but I shortcuts legs closer to the CG.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2014, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magik30
yes I understand, I was thinking one thing
I keep the same measures of head to CG, but I shortcuts legs closer to the CG.
Work the CG math so that you can get her balanced.
Mar 06, 2014, 03:36 AM
it is not easy
Last edited by magik30; Mar 06, 2014 at 08:00 AM.
Mar 07, 2014, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
Hi all. I've been playing with different features on Flyguy and exploring hover capability. Out of these efforts I have found a configuration that really gets Flyguy to perform the full compliment of aerobatic maneuvers.
That was a MAJOR advance! VERY impressive. Big smooth loops, invert, and I saw it holding an edge for about a full second. Can it -hold- the edge? If it can it's an absolute barnstormer. Running down the flight line shoulder high on edge at would have the gallery of peanuts jumping up and down and cheering!!
Mar 07, 2014, 01:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk
That was a MAJOR advance! VERY impressive. Big smooth loops, invert, and I saw it holding an edge for about a full second. Can it -hold- the edge? If it can it's an absolute barnstormer. Running down the flight line shoulder high on edge at would have the gallery of peanuts jumping up and down and cheering!!
I haven't explored knife edge as much as I should. In the 4 pts and slow rolls he does very well. Also, pretty reasonable hammerheads. I have been so focused on cleaning him up for painting. Can't decide what to make him. Added wheels to the chest. Version 3 is a winner.
Mar 07, 2014, 04:59 AM
hi otto

I finished my template.
here are some pictures.
I am not great for women's faces..hahahaha
length 126cm (49,60 inch)

Last edited by magik30; Mar 07, 2014 at 05:04 AM.
Mar 07, 2014, 09:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
hi otto

I finished my template.
here are some pictures.
I am not great for women's faces..hahahaha
length 126cm (49,60 inch)

For the face I usually trace an image from the internet. She looks like she'll fly and the tail area will allow the CG to move more to the tail. Best.
Mar 07, 2014, 04:04 PM
it takes shape

Mar 08, 2014, 09:14 AM

Gen 3 Fly Guy

I have built a 62" Fly Guy and had a successful maiden flight. I had issues with motor KV and a too small esc which cutout. Found that Fly Guy has a good glide slope giving me plenty of time to reboot the esc and land safely. I now have a different motor, esc, and prop and will try again soon. Lots of snow here in Connecticut. I am hoping that you would share the full setup on your new design? I would build it in a second as it is a great flyer. I will be flying the one I have at all our events along with a Snoopy dog house that I also have. I will post my next flight. Thank you Otto.

Barney Liftoff
R/C Propbusters
Salem, CT
Mar 08, 2014, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Liftoff
I have built a 62" Fly Guy and had a successful maiden flight. I had issues with motor KV and a too small esc which cutout. Found that Fly Guy has a good glide slope giving me plenty of time to reboot the esc and land safely. I now have a different motor, esc, and prop and will try again soon. Lots of snow here in Connecticut. I am hoping that you would share the full setup on your new design? I would build it in a second as it is a great flyer. I will be flying the one I have at all our events along with a Snoopy dog house that I also have. I will post my next flight. Thank you Otto.

Barney Liftoff
R/C Propbusters
Salem, CT
Your welcome. I've been in contact with birdofplay about offering cutouts in addition to plans that we will post. I will put a thread together going over the changes. I just got it to the quality that I want. It is worthy of the Version 3 designation. Definitely for the intermediate flyer since you need to be rudder savvy. I've been developing the HoverflyDart at the same time, so it slowed me down.
Mar 09, 2014, 09:32 AM
Retired CAD guy
After a week of desert fun in Southern Nevada/Arizona I'm safely home now.

I'll be sending Otto the current files of him to mark up with the latest changes
and updates.

New versions should be available early next week.

Best

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Mar 13, 2014, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
Hi all. I've been playing with different features on Flyguy and exploring hover capability. Out of these efforts I have found a configuration that really gets Flyguy to perform the full compliment of aerobatic maneuvers.

This is a platform for an advanced flyer and is more complicated to build and fly. Beginners and intermediate flyers should still stay with the Flyguy Version 2.

What I don't like are the two exposed props of the two motors. I have always liked the added safety of the prop enclosed in the body, especially because Flyguy is such a kid magnet.

The two motors have differential thrust tied to the rudder stick which can generate significant yaw allowing hammerheads, 4 pt and slow rolls.

There are only two horizontal plates; the chest plate and main body plate. The main body plate is a combination of the old arm plate and the center body plate.

The body is 16 inches wide at the main body plate and 12 inches wide at the chest plate. The feet are hinged at 18.5 inches from the tip and not canted as on other Flyguys. The sides are still angled at about 15 degrees. A foam mannequin head is used up front and houses the batteries.

The two motors are HK 2200 kv with 45amp ESCs and two 3s2200mah batteries. Servos are Hitec HS-225MG.

http://youtu.be/KNAlmi6nMTk
Please otto.
can see a picture of your feet flyguy last (the one with two engines)
now my flyguy62 flies very well, but a fair bit with my motors to the figures.
Mar 13, 2014, 10:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Please otto.
can see a picture of your feet flyguy last (the one with two engines)
now my flyguy62 flies very well, but a fair bit with my motors to the figures.
Here is a build log for Flyguy62 Version 3:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2121609

To get the best performance you want to integrate the top/arm plate and the main body plate of Version 2 together. Study the pictures and read the captions. Mine is being converted to a flying Elvis.
Mar 14, 2014, 06:56 AM
A question for Otto,
My flyguy 62 (v1) was flying great until the parkzone bf109 3 blade prop shed a blade. it cut my hand and didn't do a lot for flyguy as I was just about to launch him. On inspection it was found that the blade root had a bubble in the plastic and this is where it failed. I cut the other blades off and guess what? I found another bubble in another blade root.

Now this is probably a one off so I have gotten myself another 3 blade Parkzone Bf109 prop and cut it down to 8.5." Now, although my watt meter says I am pulling 300W , my flyguy is definitely lack lustre, The only difference I can see is that on the old prop I rounded the cut ends of the blades, on the new prop I have left them straight. Could this make such a difference? I think I may need to try different props.

My question is this; I can fit a 9.5" prop in but what pitch would you recommend for a 2 blader( APC) ( more obtainable for me) ?. I tried a master airscrew (e) 10X7 cut down to 9" but this barely flew him. Should I go for a 8,9 or 10" pitch? what do you think?

Any advice gratefully received

Alan
Last edited by Ospreyman; Mar 14, 2014 at 07:35 AM.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospreyman
A question for Otto,
My flyguy 62 (v1) was flying great until the parkzone bf109 3 blade prop shed a blade. it cut my hand and didn't do a lot for flyguy as I was just about to launch him. On inspection it was found that the blade root had a bubble in the plastic and this is where it failed. I cut the other blades off and guess what? I found another bubble in another blade root.

Now this is probably a one off so I have gotten myself another 3 blade Parkzone Bf109 prop and cut it down to 8.5." Now, although my watt meter says I am pulling 300W , my flyguy is definitely lack lustre, The only difference I can see is that on the old prop I rounded the cut ends of the blades, on the new prop I have left them straight. Could this make such a difference? I think I may need to try different props.

My question is this; I can fit a 9.5" prop in but what pitch would you recommend for a 2 blader( APC) ( more obtainable for me) ?. I tried a master airscrew (e) 10X7 cut down to 9" but this barely flew him. Should I go for a 8,9 or 10" pitch? what do you think?

Any advice gratefully received

Alan
Sorry to hear about the prop incident. Hopefully you didn't need stiches.

First question is what motor are you using?

Power output does not necessarily correlate to input watts. Prop loading is an art. For flyguy you are not looking for speed (pitch) but you are looking for static thrust (diameter). 3 blades create the effect of about an inch more diameter but the Master Airscrew has a small blade width counteracting this effect.

The answer is you want to use all the diameter you can which is 9.5". Then you want to select the pitch that loads it without over loading it; takes the motor to its sustainable amp limit. There are prop charts and calculators that require stator length and diameter plus motor KV to tell you a good starting point.

Which brings me back to what motor are you using?

Quick Reply