Dragon Force DF65 - Page 417 - RC Groups
Apr 19, 2017, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy101
Hmmm, it does look "fast" but how can you tell without an A rigged DF65 to compare it to?
I cant, but I did use an A rig just before and I barely had steerage way
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 02:38 PM
'The A plus rig is a game changer in light airs'

What exactly did you think would happen?

Just a shame you can't sail with the RG fleet now.
Apr 19, 2017, 03:06 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerb77
'
TROLL...

Sure he can, with the regular A.

The DF65 is not going to win any big RG65 regattas anyway.
Apr 19, 2017, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerb77
'The A plus rig is a game changer in light airs'

What exactly did you think would happen?

Why not? The A , B and C rigs are still RG65 legal and sails are changeable components between races. The stock DF65 rig is still A.

For RG65 use you can make your own rig subject to the RG65 rules that would not be legal for DF65 one design racing.

Nothing has changed just because there is a new optional rig for DF65 that is not legal for RG65.
Apr 19, 2017, 03:23 PM
Correct, you can use the big rig if you sail within a dedicated DF fleet and you all agree that the new rig is money well spent.

Unfortunately though, in the UK, many races are mixed RG/DF where we get good fleet numbers and the new big rig cannot be used.
Apr 19, 2017, 04:14 PM
Tough crowd in tonight then...
Apr 19, 2017, 05:36 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
NIce DF65 Version 6 Video!:

Joysway Dragon Force 65 V6 Yacht Filmed By Drone! (2 min 21 sec)
Apr 22, 2017, 01:44 AM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!

Registered Restricted Class DF65s Worldwide

Here are some current registration numbers for the DF65 Restricted Class Worldwide:

UK- 995 ( Since 2014)
USA- 325 ( Since Aug 2016)
Sweden - 695
Australia - 359
Japan - 83
Finland - 57
Germany - 10
Chile - 24
Canada - 65

If we are missing any let us know!
Last edited by Windward RC; Apr 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added Canada
Apr 22, 2017, 11:11 PM
Here is a video of a one lap race demonstrating how the A+ Rigs handle 10+ mph winds on Lake Bridgeland today. The two top overall finishers of the Regatta used their A+ rigs in all but the last two races, where # 67 dropped down to a B rig. Based on the my observations today I think it would be safe to say the A+ rigs can be used in gusts up to 15 mph and stready winds of 10+ with little effort. See for yourself.
Dragon Force 65 in Bridgeland on April 22, 2017 (5 min 20 sec)
Apr 23, 2017, 06:12 AM
Great vid Fred, thanks for sharing! And I second your thoughts, having sailed my A+ for the first time today. Sails great and does not feel overpowered at all. Handles gusts well, no wipeouts today. It just plows the bow through the water while accelerating.
The pic shows our four A+ rigged boats in a moment when the wind took a break and I had time to take a picture
Apr 23, 2017, 06:35 AM
Great video Fred, lot of boats getting stuck in irons with those waves.

The A+ sails looks powerful when sailed well
Apr 23, 2017, 08:54 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Does acetone harm the Joysway mylar (V6) sails?

If so, what does work to clean the sails with prior to painting letters? I'll be using stencils and Design Master paint (which contains acetone).

Pete
Apr 23, 2017, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR

If so, what does work to clean the sails with prior to painting letters? I'll be using stencils and Design Master paint (which contains acetone).

Pete
while we're on this what is best to clean the hull with if you have residue from stickers or something else to clean off ?
Apr 23, 2017, 04:18 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Let me answer my own question: No, acetone doesn't harm mylar. A comprehensive list of what does and doesn't can be found HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaandy
while we're on this what is best to clean the hull with if you have residue from stickers or something else to clean off ?
Mineral spirits or (old fashioned) paint thinner will remove most sticker adhesive without affecting the paint. Zippo or Ronsonol lighter fluid also works well.

Beware, though: The new environmentally-friendly paint thinner will take the paint off. So will toluene, xylene, MEK, lacquer thinner, and most other modern paint thinners, but old-school petroleum-based mineral spirits and paint thinner doesn't. I think this environmentally-friendly paint thinner stuff is a Southern California thing and you can probably get the old fashion petroleum-based stuff just about anywhere else.

One more note: On the advice of several people here in RCG and elsewhere, I used the Design Master paint from Michaels to paint the numbers on my sails, and it doesn't stick to mylar worth a damn. I cleaned the mylar with Windex and then acetone before I painted and I sprayed 3 light coats, but a bunch of the paint around the edges peeled off when I removed the stencils and the rest came right off with low-tack masking tape. That Design Master paint might be great stuff for cloth sails, but not for mylar so it's back to Con-Tact Self-Adhesive vinyl shelf paper numbers for me.

Pete
Apr 23, 2017, 04:32 PM
to 'paint' on sail numbers try a broad tip permanent ink marker. They work great.

See the "7" on my sail - that's a permanent marker.
John