Dragon Force DF65 - Page 408 - RC Groups
Mar 17, 2017, 09:52 PM
Welcome to RC sailing. You have asked your first question. To place it in the correct thread just skip through the existing thread titles to you see a similar subject or start a new thread. Where you have posted it is fine but if you want to discuss the Pirate in detail it should be under another thread as this one is for the DF65 but as you will see goes off track sometimes.

First mistake you made was changing the appearance of the yacht if you liked it. A bit of colour is good. Remember if it was not for all these coloured low cost yachts hitting the market and selling well there would be far less choices in that market. From reports I have from groups who sail these yachts in mixed fleets is the DF65 will come out on top on most occasions but the Pirate/Explorer/Affinity (same yacht, different colour schemes) will hold its own on more than once.

The Pirate/Explorer/Affinity have a wider beam than the DF65. All of these Joysway products share many common parts.

Enjoy sailing.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 06:37 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Just FYI, the A+ Rigs have finally shipped and should be in stock next week with dealers worldwide.
Mar 18, 2017, 08:48 PM
Basil

Joysway Pirate

Thanks Tugboat for your prompt and informative reply. I'm used to receiving doctrinaire "harumph" replies on Web forums. Yours wasn't at all. By replacing the original "Pirate" sails with white high performance Mylar sails and removing the decals, I've in effect created a different boat from a Pirate. I have to admit preferring my new boat. Goofy was fun at first, but I now have an elegant boat that looks really great. In retrospect, I thank the other members of the club for having incited me to make the changes. My goal now is to systematically beat the DF's becaue of my better sails. I had 70 years of experience sailing full size boats before switching to RC. I'm now a rank beginner. Maybe I'll also have wait until my sailings skills improve before I can beat the DF's.
Mar 18, 2017, 09:18 PM

New DF65 Fleet in Michigan!

Congrats to the brand new RC Sailing Club forming in Northwest Michigan at the Canadian Lakes Yacht Club with 13 boats building!

If you are interested in bringing the new Version 6 DF65 into your club or group, please email me at info@radiosailing.net

Mar 18, 2017, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaby
Thanks Tugboat for your prompt and informative reply. I'm used to receiving doctrinaire "harumph" replies on Web forums. Yours wasn't at all. By replacing the original "Pirate" sails with white high performance Mylar sails and removing the decals, I've in effect created a different boat from a Pirate. I have to admit preferring my new boat. Goofy was fun at first, but I now have an elegant boat that looks really great. In retrospect, I thank the other members of the club for having incited me to make the changes. My goal now is to systematically beat the DF's becaue of my better sails. I had 70 years of experience sailing full size boats before switching to RC. I'm now a rank beginner. Maybe I'll also have wait until my sailings skills improve before I can beat the DF's.
Enjoy RC sailing, enjoy the company of others who do and you cant go wrong.
Mar 18, 2017, 10:39 PM

Video on v5 to v6 conversion w/ new Hull

This is a Facebook video, but its a video by one of our new skippers in Miami, Patrick Rynne, great info on how to convert your Version 5 to a new v6 hull

https://www.facebook.com/rynne/video...1349235253541/
Mar 19, 2017, 07:09 AM

South Queensland DF65 Championships

A selection of five races from the event run on Saturday. There are 5 videos in a series. Difficult testing conditions sail with great sportsmanship.

You tube

Sth Qld DF65 Championship - Race12 (3 min 24 sec)
Mar 19, 2017, 08:08 AM

New DF65 Australian Site

Check out the following: https://sites.google.com/site/dfowne...australia/home. There are links to video and photos of the recent activity in Queensland
Mar 19, 2017, 01:33 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Does using a V5 jib boom setup on a V6 boat violate any of the DF65 class rules?

I made that mod for 3 reasons:
  • It's unacceptable to me that the wrong (rear) guide eye was glued on the V6 boom. The rear guide eye needs to pivot to keep a hard tack from twisting the jib boom in the hook down.
  • The jib tack hook isn't long enough which causes the bottom of the jib to drag on the jib boom. In light winds the jib can't even transition from one side to the other of the jib boom. I tried replacing the hook with a loop of Dyneema, but the results were unsatisfactory too. The eyelet on the front end piece of the V5 boom works perfectly, though.
  • I had a spare V5 jib kit.
Pete (who's loving his V6 with the V5 jib boom)
Mar 19, 2017, 03:20 PM
Dental Floss Tycoon
Well, I ordered a 2016 version. Will be my first RC sailboat. Really looking forward to it. I sail a Catalina 22 and used to crew on J22s and a Merit 25 so I *think* I should be able to figure it out. I'll be using either my DX6 or an old Flysky . Are LiFes the way to go for a receiver battery? Or a LiPo with a BEC? I look forward to annoying you all with dumb questions.
Mar 19, 2017, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcanis
. Are LiFes the way to go for a receiver battery? Or a LiPo with a BEC? I look forward to annoying you all with dumb questions.
Better to go with LiFe and avoid the weight of the BEC and avoid the risk of LiPo near water.

John
Mar 20, 2017, 09:13 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude

DF65 Battery Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcanis
Well, I ordered a 2016 version. Will be my first RC sailboat. Really looking forward to it. I sail a Catalina 22 and used to crew on J22s and a Merit 25 so I *think* I should be able to figure it out. I'll be using either my DX6 or an old Flysky . Are LiFes the way to go for a receiver battery? Or a LiPo with a BEC? I look forward to annoying you all with dumb questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
Better to go with LiFe and avoid the weight of the BEC and avoid the risk of LiPo near water.
I did a study of battery usage with my V5 (2016 version) which can found HERE.

Like LiPos, LiFe cells charge very efficiently meaning that they absorb nearly all the energy that a charger outputs during a charge cycle. Consequently, the mAh it takes to recharge them will be very close to the mAh used during discharge. That won't work with NiMH or NiCd packs, though, because they only absorb around 80% of the energy it takes to charge them.

To summarize my opinion, I agree with hiljoball: A LiFe pack stuck to the keel box is the way to go unless you know you'll be sailing in high winds. In those conditions the weight of an AA pack in the stock location may be advantageous.

Pete
Last edited by PGR; Mar 20, 2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: title
Mar 20, 2017, 09:48 AM
Dental Floss Tycoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
I did a study of battery usage with my V5 (2016 version) which can found HERE.

Like LiPos, LiFe cells charge very efficiently meaning that they absorb nearly all the energy that a charger outputs during a charge cycle. Consequently, the mAh it takes to recharge them will be very close to the mAh used during discharge. That won't work with NiMH or NiCd packs, though, because they only absorb around 80% of the energy it takes to charge them.

To summarize my opinion, I agree with hiljoball: A LiFe pack stuck to the keel box is the way to go unless you know you'll be sailing in high winds. In those conditions the weight of an AA pack in the stock location may be advantageous.

Pete
Interesting. It is pretty windy where I'll be sailing.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Does using a V5 jib boom setup on a V6 boat violate any of the DF65 class rules?

I made that mod for 3 reasons:
  • It's unacceptable to me that the wrong (rear) guide eye was glued on the V6 boom. The rear guide eye needs to pivot to keep a hard tack from twisting the jib boom in the hook down.
  • The jib tack hook isn't long enough which causes the bottom of the jib to drag on the jib boom. In light winds the jib can't even transition from one side to the other of the jib boom. I tried replacing the hook with a loop of Dyneema, but the results were unsatisfactory too. The eyelet on the front end piece of the V5 boom works perfectly, though.
  • I had a spare V5 jib kit.
Pete (who's loving his V6 with the V5 jib boom)
No...it is only a violation to mix between rig sizes. Generally, parts between versions are interchangeable or this could not be a one design...the only exception I know of is the V1 wooden servo tray.

The early V6 jib booms apparently have a construction defect...the wrong eye is glued...so you can either glue the other eye in its correct position or ask your dealer for replacement once they are available....or use another that you happen to have.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:59 PM
Mike Hansow IOM USA 53
I sailed my new DF65 V6 yesterday for the first time in various conditions. Nice little boat. It performed much better than I expected. Need to find others in Western Washington to sail with....