Dragon Force DF65 - Page 3 - RC Groups
Feb 26, 2013, 08:20 AM
Mark, can you clear up what differences there will be in the 'final' production version? Were these early productions models known to have this cosmetic flaw? (because there was no mention of it anywhere) seems a little dodgy to me to even do this (either by the manufacturer and or retailer / distributor) if they were aware of such.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2013, 08:20 AM
also the one design rules are being written at the moment. spares will be readily available, i.e. smaller rigs, all fittings, radio gear, ballast, cord, bowsies etc.

these are so all boats will onform with a one design rule

Mark
Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark dicks
also the one design rules are being written at the moment. spares will be readily available, i.e. smaller rigs, all fittings, radio gear, ballast, cord, bowsies etc.

these are so all boats will onform with a one design rule

Mark
Mark

All sounds Good to me.. Happy to see where the Boat takes us..

Ordered on Sunday, In the Mail Today, should be here Friday..

For under $150 Aust Dollars I'm happy to see how much damage I can do to the sucker.. Pick it apart until it breaks.. Then fix, Repair & Upgrade.. Lets hope the Paint sticks... My guess is Tamiya Rattle Cans should do nicely..

Time will tell..

Being a Guinea Pig can be fun sometimes...

Feb 26, 2013, 09:08 AM
Oh yeah, waboats don't get me wrong.. the price I think is very good. Compared to some of the products available this boat seems to be a very good starter for people. Just personally, I'd have preferred to know that the boats being sold were known to have this (these) issue(s). If the final production boats are slightly more expensive, and perhaps the quoted prices oversears are reflecting this then that may explain the apparent 'low price' for these ones. (ie. these early production ones are retailing at at a reduced rate due to the maring of the hulls etc .. well that would kind of makes sense.

I don't suppose anyone on here knows yet what type of paint is used on these. Have heard and seen some 'horror' stories of incompatible paints reacting when refinishing hulls etc.

So I guess I'd add... Who can suggest a 'best method' for repainting? Would completely removing the original paint be wise? Or just scuffing the finish then re-applying? Priming first? or just new top coat and / or clear coat on top of that?

Oh and one more.. A filler for on ABS (if repainting) what would be good to hide this cosmetic flaw?
Feb 26, 2013, 10:07 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava
Oh and one more.. A filler for on ABS (if repainting) what would be good to hide this cosmetic flaw?
The best method is probably to mix scrap ABS from the kit (if there is any) with just enough MEK solvent to make a thick paste and use that. Failing that epoxy/microballoons or epoxy putty should also be safe. I'd also check for any thin points especially where there are sharp angles (e.g., bow and stern) and maybe reiforce those as well.
Feb 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
shoud the branding not have been removed if not being sold as a proper rg65 i.e finished product? Can see why the guys are in aus might be abit miffed to go and buy and dragon to find it not being a proper dragon lol. Maybe like you say they could of been used as test boats rather than sold as rejected first line models of the production line

Dan
Feb 26, 2013, 12:51 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore1987
shoud the branding not have been removed if not being sold as a proper rg65 i.e finished product? Can see why the guys are in aus might be abit miffed to go and buy and dragon to find it not being a proper dragon lol. Maybe like you say they could of been used as test boats rather than sold as rejected first line models of the production line

Dan
Dan
I agree completely! Should be some support for those first buyers!
Boomer
Feb 26, 2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Dan
I agree completely! Should be some support for those first buyers!
Boomer
Boomer im 100% behind that thinkin too, the first boats and tbh all the boats should be perfect within reason, maybe one boat out of 100 with a little mark, but not the entire first run to be sold with problems and palmed off to an island in the middle of no where ( no affence aus )

As we all know or should know spesh a model company , people buy the new thing and put posting up online about how happy they are or should be, and that then fuels more people to go out and trust the brand and buy the product. To sell reject stock at a cheap price then ship it to somewhere people might not notice it in this day and age is abit of a poor effort?

Sure 90% of these boats will be pulled apart and re made by the racers of us but still stings alittle least we know why the rest of the world has to wait till may for the boat

Dan ( sorry for the rant just annoys me that people get fobed off )
Feb 26, 2013, 05:16 PM
Martin thanks for the suggestions. Knew of the micro-balloons epoxy. hadn't occured to me to use some ABS melted in solvent. As far as I can tell there is no scrap to be had from the kit.

I guess unless one wanted to open up the deck in places (then use patch covers) then there would be scrap.

I'm goning to send a photo to the retailer and see if all their kits have this issue. Going by what Gosprectre has said, they do... and I have no reason to doubt what he says at all. The retailer has said they'll exchange for me, but what is the point if they are all like this.

I do agree with the comments above about what appears to be 'dumping' of first run (not right) product. If sold upfront as such, no problem. The consumer makes their decision to purchase knowing about the 'flaw' or issue so no ill effects. The way this has been done.. leaves a bit of a sour taste with regards to Joysway to be honest.
Feb 27, 2013, 01:25 AM
not looking very good for a new model , what with the dented bow and the toy like tx ? release in the uk isnt expected until may/june , seems a bit strange to pass off sub standard models before the launch date , as its now given the model bad press ! it was sugested the new dragon force could be a replacement to the micro magic ( with the uncertainty at graupner currently ) within our local group . having looked at other rg65s i hope not as with such a long keel fin they will be grounded most of the summer !
Feb 27, 2013, 02:11 AM
Hi guys, quickly as i run in and out the door a few comments!

The mark on the bow is barely noticeable, would certainly sand out without filling if you are repainting the hull.

Radio control hand set looks interesting and will work well 9i tend to drop them though!)

Yes keel is deep, and deeper than the 650 but Rg65s are not micro magics!!!

Pricing out here in Australia is low due to the dumping you are correct and i know several reatiers have purchased stock and will be selling for double that, so they are already not happy at any undercutting and contemplting stocking a boat with no margin , no instructions and cosmetic faults.

That aside Instructions and finish will be corrected these guys are on to it!

The kit is a great alternative to a micro magic and the design team have done a great job, do look at these boats they have great potential.

I have no vested interst in promoting these boats (some would say its in opposition to the gospectre.com 650 rg-65) but really , it is a great price and will get people sailing!!!

Good package, great price, get one!

Andrew
Feb 27, 2013, 02:21 AM
Andrew.. I was somewhat reluctant to even post the link to where I got it.. knowing the time and effort you have put into the 650 to get it out.

If this is a dumping of flawed early versions.. It should have been made clear as such. That is my opinion anyway.

With regards to the 'scratch' it will sand out.. I'm thinking if i just sanded mine (right behind the bow bumper their would be no hull left at that point. The inital point of the mark has to be at least half the depth of the abs (and going by the flex the abs isn't overly thick there to begin with).

As i've said, if the price these are being sold at is a reduced price, due to the 'flaw' then ok, but i'm pretty sure if they are to be retailing around $150 here in Aus and I don't know what the 'May edition' will retail for here in Aus, then it compounds the issue somewhat. (that price does seem out compared to the UK quoted pricing given the ex. rate etc anyway)

I did contact Joysway. they asked for a photo. I obliged and sent them one, though they must know about this situation if information posted here is correct. Still kind of interested to hear what they say. On the fence on this one atm, waiting to hear something back.
Last edited by Merkava; Feb 27, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Feb 27, 2013, 02:29 AM
Fair call, option 3 .
Send your replacement dragon to me as a trade in on your new 650!
Feb 27, 2013, 03:48 AM
Lol... the DF is in the mail... so just send us a brand spankers 650 'express post' . . . . and it's all sweet.

Seriously all jokes asside.. I think a combination of probably a silly decision to dump and not make clear to people that fact. Still think the boat and concept is one of the best things to happen to rc sailing.

Micro Magic's are sweet, and yes nice shallow draft but if not wanting to conform to a one design this DF65 could have a different non-factory keel fitted. and modded to how ever one wants it. (different kettle of fish though these two classes).

still wonder about the ultimate future of the Micro Magic even though it's popular as. Read somewhere that Graupner are in pretty dire straights cash wise atm. Think its all good but does raise the question about what happens to a class if the sole supplier of boats goes under.
Feb 27, 2013, 04:11 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava

still wonder about the ultimate future of the Micro Magic even though it's popular as. Read somewhere that Graupner are in pretty dire straights cash wise atm. Think its all good but does raise the question about what happens to a class if the sole supplier of boats goes under.
I think you'll find that there's a Chinese clone for it somewhere