Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 26, 2014, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo42
Ok everyone,,,,,this Swinging maxi A+ rig talk is totally confusing some of the new sailors!!!! Please move this dialogue to the Modified DF65 forum and let's go back to the Dragon one design please!!!! . Cheers!
No problem. Got a little excited
I keep my DF totally stock but am looking at this option simply for non DF racing.
I love OD
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2014, 10:07 AM

New USA Dragon Force shipment Sept 5!!!

Hi all!

I just got the word that Atomik is expecting 200 DFs to arrive on Sept 5 at their facility in Seattle.

They should ship almost immediately assuming they arent held up in the port, They will probably go pretty quickly so if someone is looking for boats looking for boats they will be here in about 1 week.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:17 AM
what version df are they up to now?
Aug 29, 2014, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
what version df are they up to now?
This will be the 2014 Version 2 with plastic tray, cock pit switch, and I believe the new improved metal kicking strap, and new bow swivel arrangement

Gotta hand it to Joysway, in a relatively short time , they have made suggested changes(by the Gang of 3 ) to the boat that dont affect overall performance metrics , but that improve the overall experience of skippers using the boat.

Lets review:
Problem: Boat switch on deck is susceptible to being accidentally switched off in collisions
Solution: Moved the switch interior to the boat making it more watertight and nearly impossible to accidentally switch off

Problem : Wooden Tray is very high profile and keeps the winch drum high in the boat, needs to be epoxied for preventative decay
Solution: New low profile plastic tray , with better electronic ergonomics exact same servos though... keeping one design integrity intact.

Problem: Plastic Kicking strap (vang) is very hard to turn, almost impossible by hand
Solution: New Stainless steel kicking assembly with lock nut , turns by hand.

Problem: Carbon masts and spars splitting
Solution added metal rings to reinforce them so skipper doesn't need to.

Problem: Restricted Rules allow for B & C Rigs and sails
Solution: Joysway is now producing precut masts and white blank sails that conform to the restricted class rules

There are actually more, Im just listing what I consider the major ones... and lets not forget this has all been done mostly in the last year... you are talking about major alterations to the production of Moulds(VERY expensive), boat assembly, etc that cost Joysway major capital... so yes, they are committed to making this the best entry level sailboat going.

The skippers who actually sail these on a regular basis agree...
Aug 29, 2014, 11:46 AM
I wasn't trying to be negative - I just wanted to know what the latest updates were. I think it is great that the manufacturer is doing updates like this to improve their product.

I guess the moral of the story is if you want the latest version df, buy from a vendor that routinely gets in new stock (like atomik).

Thank you for the rundown!
Aug 29, 2014, 11:52 AM
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be negative - I just wanted to know what the latest updates were. I think it is great that the manufacturer is doing updates like this to improve their product.

I guess the moral of the story is if you want the latest version df, buy from a vendor that routinely gets in new stock (like atomik).

Thank you for the rundown!
No problem, no offense intended at all

As I was writing that post I was thinking of all they had done to the kit and why... Ive been doing RC sailing quite a while and Ive really never seen anything like it.

I am reading some of these other reviewa on new kits etc. but none were designed BY RC sailors for RC sailors for mass production... and for those of us racing these, it is the gift that keeps on giving ...lol
Aug 29, 2014, 12:30 PM
Ok. I just wanted to be clear I'm not a hater!

However I could definitely see it from the other point of view if someone just bought a df and a week later joysway fixed a problem that the new owner has an issue with. That could get aggravating, especially if the update improved the performance, even slightly. One of the big selling points of od racing is that it should be less expensive than a development class because you don't need to have the latest and greatest version. With new versions of the df coming out once or twice a year, the point is potentially negated.

At some point you have to think they will just leave it alone.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Ok. I just wanted to be clear I'm not a hater!

However I could definitely see it from the other point of view if someone just bought a df and a week later joysway fixed a problem that the new owner has an issue with. That could get aggravating, especially if the update improved the performance, even slightly. One of the big selling points of od racing is that it should be less expensive than a development class because you don't need to have the latest and greatest version. With new versions of the df coming out once or twice a year, the point is potentially negated.

At some point you have to think they will just leave it alone.
That was GM's thinking on their ign switch issues
Aug 29, 2014, 02:01 PM
You must bear in mind that NONE of the manufacturing improvements that have found there way into the latest box will increase the boats performance on the water over the previous versions, so any talk of must having the latest version is just BS I'm sorry to say.

Just saying...
Aug 29, 2014, 09:24 PM
Gringo42
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing
You must bear in mind that NONE of the manufacturing improvements that have found there way into the latest box will increase the boats performance on the water over the previous versions, so any talk of must having the latest version is just BS I'm sorry to say.

Just saying...
So true! There all the same!!!!! It's the greatest racing I've ever competed in!! Looking forward to February's shoot out in Florida!
Sep 01, 2014, 10:58 PM
US Skippers looking for the 2014 Parts, Atomik has them in stock, they should be coming on the web site Starting Tuesday, including the new stainless steel kickers and kicker assemblies, the bands for spars, blank 2014 hulls. etc etc...
Sep 02, 2014, 09:01 AM

2015 Texas Dragon Force Series Notice of Race!!!

The Trinity River Yacht Club, Lone Star Model Yacht Club and Austin Model Sailing Club are proud to announce the 2015 Dragon Force Texas Race Series!!

Due to the popularity of the series in 2014, and the amazing growth all the clubs have experienced because of the Dragon force / RG65 class, the leaders of the clubs have expanded the series to 10 total races spanning across 3 Texas Cities, Dallas, Houston and now in Austin!

There will be 8 Series races and two 2 Day double points regattas including the 16th Annual RG65 White Rock Cup in Dallas in April (which will have the DF One design scoring category ) , and the ultimate Season Ending Race in Tomball in December; the 2015 Texas Dragon Force Classic (largest DF One design only race in the USA)!

In keeping with the spirit of the Dragon Force One Design racing the series races are designed to be fairly short race days (4 hours) allowing for drive time between cities. The rules are very user friendly, encouraging new skippers to be competitive, and veteran skippers to experience the closest, toughest sailing action in US radio sailing today!

2015 Dragon Force Texas Race Series

Hosted by:
Lone Star MYC, Austin MSC, Trinity River YC

Format: 8 Series Races + 2 Double points races

Dates: Jan 3 : LSMYC Tomball TX/ 11 AM - 3 PM
Feb 7::TRYC Dallas TX / 11 AM- 3 PM
Apr 11&12 : White Rock Cup TRYC Dallas TX / TBA
May 2 : LSMYC Tomball TX/ 11AM - 3PM
June 6 : AMYC Austin TX/ 11AM - 3PM
July 11: TRYC Dallas TX/ 11AM - 3PM
Sept 5: LSMYC Tomball TX/ 11AM - 3PM
Oct 3 : AMYC Austin TX/ 11AM - 3PM
Nov 7 :TRYC Dallas TX/ 11AM - 3PM
Dec 5 (6?) : Texas DF Classic / LSMYC Tomball TX TBA

Scoring: Series Races: racing will go from 11A- 3P (except double points regattas)
High results at the end of the day .1st place get points equal to number of boats raced, 2nd 1 less etc. etc. 1 throwout per Day ,
White Rock Cup : Double Points
Texas Dragon Force Classic : Double Points
Tiebreakers: 1) Skipper with most series races
2) Skipper with higher finishes
Results of the series will be determined by cumulative score of the highest race results at the end of the year after 3 throwouts, Even if an event is cancelled there will still be 3 throwouts

Governing
Rules:
The series will be run under the latest version of the ISAF RRS except:

All boats must comply with the latest version of the Dragon Force Restricted Class Rules found at http://dragonforcerg65.files.wordpre...rules-v1-3.pdf
Protests shall be settled on the water (do your turn)
No Redress shall be given

Double points regattas will have their own NORs
Last edited by Windward RC; Sep 02, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Sep 02, 2014, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward RC
Hi all!

I just got the word that Atomik is expecting 200 DFs to arrive on Sept 5 at their facility in Seattle.

They should ship almost immediately assuming they arent held up in the port, They will probably go pretty quickly so if someone is looking for boats looking for boats they will be here in about 1 week.
Chuck, will they be receiving any white hulls. If so, which version. The one with the deck mounted power switch?
Fred
Sep 02, 2014, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
Chuck, will they be receiving any white hulls. If so, which version. The one with the deck mounted power switch?
Fred
Im pretty sure the new version blank hulls are the one 2014 verison with reccessed switch
Sep 03, 2014, 09:08 PM
RG65 and S1M Sailor

NOR: Seventh Annual Rio Grande Cup & Region 5 Championship 2014 for RG-65

Hello Skippers,

The Notice of Race for the RG-65 Rio Grande Cup has been modified to show that
this event is now also serving as the Region 5 RG-65 Championship event for 2014!
We will only host up to 30 boats, so don't wait until the October 11, 2014
deadline to send yours in!

Here is a link to the NOR for this event:
http://www.unm.edu/~eschman/dcmyc/NOR_RGCup_2014F.pdf

The NOR is also linked from the AMYA Regatta Schedule web pages. This is Seventh
Annual Rio Grande Cup, the "Oldest RG65 Racing Series in North America". It is
even better now that it is also the Region 5 RG-65 Championship for 2014.

Here is map link that shows the northernmost pond at the Tingley Beach Aquatic
park, which is our sailing location for this event:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...038\3&t=h&z=16

Currently we have received registrations from Ball, Buzzell, and Rosenberg.

Thanks,
Peter E.

Quick Reply