Feb 23, 2013, 06:15 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Discussion

Dragon Force DF65

Just became aware of this boat. Check out the Youtube video of the a prototype boat. I'd have to say the boat in the video was impressive.
Dragon Force RG65 Yacht Prototype.mov (4 min 41 sec)

Posted November 2012 by John Tushingham - This information was posted with the video: "Test sail of the prototype Dragon Forge RG65 yacht. This will be a commercially available ABS hulled RG65 class racing yacht, sold complete with a 2.4Ghz radio set. It will come fully constructed, all you have to do is attach the sails and you're ready to sail. Expect the boat to be available by spring 2013."

Which was followed up a month later with this statement by John Tushingham" "We're working on a website and a set of rules for a Restricted Class format that will still comply with the RG65 rules. We'll post a comment here when they're live."

This is a link to more details on this boat. http://www.rcyachts.org.uk/epages/St...ragon_Force_65

I posted a couple of pictures of the prototype - Looking forward to seeing one these boats up close.

This is a link to more specific information the boat - Dragon Sailing: https://radiosailing.net

Specifications:
Hull Material: Plastic Molded ABS
Mast Height: 915mm
Length: 655mm = 25.78"
Height: 1338mm = 52.7"
Radio System: 2.4GHz
Beam: 116.5mm = 4.6"
RTR Total Weight: 48oz (1350g) without 4AA batteries
Main Sail Area: 226 sq in (14.6 sq dm)
Jib Sail Area: 118 sq in (7.66 sq dm)
Overall Sail Area: 344 sq in (22.26 sq dm)

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 22, 2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Thread name update
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2013, 02:08 AM
Boomer I have one on order. Will post some info when it arrives.. Although going on the latest update from rcyachts.co.uk it may be a while off yet.

I like the fact that part of the delay is that they are doing some slight mods to improve the boat. And have said that different size rigs and a shorter keel will be available.

There is another boat that I am very interested in and that is the Pocket Rocket. The one I've seen online had a swing rig and could also be fitted with a removeable raised foredeck. Nice looking boat and apparently about 150 pounds (I think hull, deck, keel / ballast and rudder etc).

What I like most about this is the fact the Joysway have at least released a boat for a recognised 'international' class. I think it is something that all the 'kit manufacturers' should be looking at.. Thunder Tiger, Tamiya, Kyosho.. etc.. etc.. Even if it meant licencing an existing 65 design... Learke, noux, etc... etc...
Feb 24, 2013, 02:09 AM
By the way I paid $148.00 aus delivered for the one I ordered.
Feb 24, 2013, 02:52 AM
Useful Idiot
Boomer, there was a thread abut it: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1779323
Feb 24, 2013, 03:48 AM
Ooops. yep Martin... forgot that thread was there myself.
Feb 24, 2013, 11:52 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP

DER! Better get some new glasses!

Guess the old age is catching up on me. Sorry about that. I got excited about this new boat and wanted to share it with the forum. OPS

I do have a concern - the pictures appear to show hatch covers that are like refrigerator magnets - Blackstar Yachts use a similar cover - my concern is how watertight are they? I will post my question on the other thread.

Boomer

Suggest you go to the other thread on this new boat - It got started first! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1779323
Don't want to take away from that one. Has lots of good information on it.
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 27, 2016 at 10:33 PM.
Feb 24, 2013, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava
By the way I paid $148.00 aus delivered for the one I ordered.
Where did you order it from? Thanks
Feb 24, 2013, 08:07 PM
Gettinout,

From here...

http://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/rc-boats-yachts.html

only thing is going from rcyachts.org.uk there may be a delay (they have modded the boat and our making extra rigs and sail suits available).

Price from above aussie site was 137 plus 11 shipping.

Have a good one.
Feb 24, 2013, 09:42 PM
There add says, in stock.
Feb 24, 2013, 10:15 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava
Gettinout,

From here...

http://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/rc-boats-yachts.html

only thing is going from rcyachts.org.uk there may be a delay (they have modded the boat and our making extra rigs and sail suits available).

Price from above aussie site was 137 plus 11 shipping.

Have a good one.
Have one on order. Express Post to WA(OZ) is $17.60... 2-5days delivery

I'll keep you posted on arrival..

ONce RCyachts in UK have their bits on sale. I'll probably look for some sails as a basic upgrade..

Cheers

John
Feb 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
Same here.. not sure if the 'extra' rigs, sails etc.. will be as freely available, you'd think so, but not all stores may carry them as well as the basic kit itself.

EDIT.... Well they are definately in stock guys.. just posted this post and within 2-3 mins knock on the door.. The boat has arrived. will post quick picture in a minute or two.

The boat was ordered Friday and I received a couple of update emails (order processed & and order dispatched).. Well it's here now on Monday Afternnoon... Glad I had my munchkins with me today or would have been at work.

Wondering if I should post here or move to the other thread... mweh.. either will do. Will post a couple of pics soon
Last edited by Merkava; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
Feb 25, 2013, 12:21 AM
Some quick pics.. why little terrors are napping...

1) thing i've noticed on mine already. . . Hull seems quite thin at bow section.

2) My boat has a fairly large scratch on the front side of the hull near the bow... there before it was painted. Don't think I am going to worry about 'playing musical boats and trying to exchange it. I think having seen the boat in the flesh now.. If I can find out what type of paint I may scruff it up and repaint the hull sides a brighter colour anyway, will just fill and fair the scratch at that point. The boat is sure to get a few 'love taps' anyway.
Feb 25, 2013, 12:28 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Thanks for the pictures. Would like to see the underside of the hatch cover to see how it is sealed. Sorry about the scratch, not best way to start for Joysway!

In the last photo it looks like the lines will need to be upgraded. It is hard to tell but they look like the cotton string Hobbyking boats come with. It works but not for long. Look forward to more pictures.
Thanks again
Boomer
Feb 25, 2013, 12:40 AM
Yeah... the lines will need upgrading.

Pic 5 above shows the scratch.. it starts as a more pronounced scratch (gouge) and lightens as it goes back (about 4" long actually). Thought about contacting store and seeing about exchanging but don't think I'll bother, would hate to get another one with an issue (and that may be worse), like i said at some point 'love scratches' are inevitable.

At the price this beasty comes in at, I may add another one at some point, or just get another hull etc (as it has been confirmed spare parts will be available). Thinking second one maybe Hull with carbon keel etc, instead of the aluminium that comes as standard. I'm still considering the Pocket Rocket rg-65 from the uk. like the idea of the removable raised foredeck etc. Will probably chase up some more info on that down the track a little, when the funds allow. I've heard 150 pounds for the hull, keel, ballast etc.. etc..

Boomer the deck 'hatch' .... semi rigid self adhesive vinyl patch better describes it.

Well apparently the hull (if it is to be repainted is to be yellow according to my little fella... it needs to be a bumble bee boat). Ok champ yellow it will be when I get around to it... lol
Last edited by Merkava; Feb 25, 2013 at 07:47 AM.
Feb 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Self adhesive - interesting. Wonder how long the adhesive will hold up against the elements?
I'd certainly contact the store to see about getting a replacement. The damage is not something that should be acceptable to them or the maker of the boat.

It be nice to see if they are going to stand behind their products. Certainly don't want to have another "Hobby king" kind of approach to this kind of thing.

Thank you
Boomer

Quick Reply