Aug 30, 2013, 07:47 PM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyingguy
So I would have no differential settings setup on my TX?
There is a way of being able to do it. Give me a bit of time and i'll come back in a day or two.

HTH

Cheers

My NEW VERSION is ready just doing final check ups.. It will be up tomorrow sometime.
Last edited by CurrentDude; Dec 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyingguy
So I would have no differential settings setup on my TX?
I have a Dx7s and run the tx differential on my 42" P47. Adjust it as required to tune your flight characteristics just as you would without Guardian. Aileron / rudder mix too. Guardian won't keep the plane from "dragging it's tail" in turns or magically make your rolls axial. This is flying in 3D.

In 2D you're not doing rolls and it seems "automatic turn coordination" is an aileron / rudder mix (which may or may not adequately deal with adverse yaw) but I have little experience in 2D.
Last edited by t.edwards; Aug 30, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Aug 30, 2013, 08:26 PM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards
I have a Dx7s and run the tx differential on my 42" P47. Adjust it as required to tune your flight characteristics just as you would without Guardian. Aileron / rudder mix too. Guardian won't keep the plane from "dragging it's tail" in turns or magically make your rolls axial. This is flying in 3D.

In 2D you're not doing rolls and it seems "automatic turn coordination" is an aileron / rudder mix (which may or may not adequately deal with adverse yaw) but I have little experience in 2D.
Well said t.edwards and I agree. .. the key point is 3D and not in 2D.
This is where G manual isn't very clear.

Automatic turn co-ordinator works well but will have to adjust the value there for each model.

Cheers
Sep 02, 2013, 03:58 PM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4it
Aileron Differential when using the G.
Does one have to set this up mechanically or can you set the Aileron Diff with the radio like you would normally. And if so,will the Guardian still work correctly.

If you like to read about why use Aileron Differential
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...-to-set-it-up/
Re Differential set up with G

Guys here is my answer as promised :

Step 1. Set up differential in your Tx as you would normally do ( go to your Tx Programme and set up aileron differential and check it works ok.

Step 2 link up your G to the computer and go the to general setting menu. --> to wing type --> tick two ailerons and normal tale ---> Press apply.

Step 3 Now link up the second aileron lead to the auxiliary channel in the G. And Guardian auxiliary lead to the Rx channel where your second aileron was connected.

Keep your model level and check ailerons this time and you should see the differential in the ailerons replicating whatever you've set in your Tx.

Here comes the science nb: As far as G is concerned, it does know/ or does not need to know where two inputs are coming from. So it responds to whatever input coming in the auxiliary channel from your Tx.

My final version is up now.

@ natiho2 Please have a look at the manual.

Cheers
Last edited by CurrentDude; Dec 13, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Sep 02, 2013, 04:03 PM
Gilbert AZ
Nice current dude. Thanks
Sep 03, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hi current dude
Thank you for your investment and help
The truth it seems a bit complicated
I ordered from hobbyking the orang Stabilizer V2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=orang 3x
I know it's less efficient but simpler to install
But maybe because of you I will be installing the g
I now have a lot of work to understand your Manual
Because my English is not strong, but I'll do it
Thank you again
Sep 04, 2013, 03:50 PM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiho2
Hi current dude
Thank you for your investment and help
The truth it seems a bit complicated
I ordered from hobbyking the orang Stabilizer V2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=orang 3x
I know it's less efficient but simpler to install
But maybe because of you I will be installing the g
I now have a lot of work to understand your Manual
Because my English is not strong, but I'll do it
Thank you again
HI nathan2,
Good decision. Just follow my new version every single step and tick them as you go along. Suggest trying it on the ground/bench and see how it works after you fitted the G. Then go for a flight test.

I would also suggest to try it on a foamy model such HK Bixlar (spelling) if your budget allows you to do so.
Keep us posted.

Cheers
Last edited by CurrentDude; Sep 09, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Sep 05, 2013, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes.
I bought a Guardian a few days ago, and because of a glitch on my DX6i I have switched back to my JR 8103.
So, can someone tell me, or point me to a discussion, on how to set up the Guardian to use the three way switch labeled "flap mixing" on the JR 8103. It seems to be a three way switch with an off in the middle position , which would be ideal for the Guardian, I could go from off to 2D or off to 3D.
I've searched the web but can only find one post from a guy asking the same question but I couldn't find and answer.

Thanks in advance.
Sep 06, 2013, 06:30 AM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy
I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes.
I bought a Guardian a few days ago, and because of a glitch on my DX6i I have switched back to my JR 8103.
So, can someone tell me, or point me to a discussion, on how to set up the Guardian to use the three way switch labeled "flap mixing" on the JR 8103. It seems to be a three way switch with an off in the middle position , which would be ideal for the Guardian, I could go from off to 2D or off to 3D.
I've searched the web but can only find one post from a guy asking the same question but I couldn't find and answer.

Thanks in advance.
That connection is fine and G should work. Suggest download jargon buster manual from my blog, read and follow step by step guide. You should have no problem then.
HTH
Cheers
Sep 08, 2013, 02:13 PM
Hi CD

Thanks very much for your Jargon Buster and setup instructions, which enabled me finally to understand how to optimise the G. And yes, I had read all the other threads

I had already flown my Guardian in a Sebart Katana 50E. Rx is an AR8000 and the Tx a DX18, set up with a mode switch and gain lever. However, I found that switching between 2D and OFF always changed the centring a tad on elevator and aileron, which was noticeable in flight. No amount of playing with the mode switch gestures or gain lever setting would eradicate the centring change.

After finding your most recent guide update, I downloaded the latest software update and then proceeded to set up the Guardian using your guide. I could never get the attitude indicator precisely levelled. Even clicking the “Level Pitch/Roll” button wouldn’t zero it.

Additionally, after completing the setup and firing up the system in the model, I still found that when I switched the mode switch between OFF and 2D, the ailerons and elevator changed centres. Switching back would return the surfaces to their original position. Switching between OFF and 3D produced no such movement.

Eventually, and after much experimentation, I hooked the G back up to my laptop, and with the model jigged in a level flying attitude, I went back to Step B of your guide. The model was jigged as previously, which is with the wings level, and the nose elevated so that the wing chord line was at 2deg angle of attack.

Then, before going further with Step B, I clicked on the Factory Reset button. Rather unexpectedly, this did not zero the attitude indicator, but left it elevated and banked. So at this point I clicked on the Reset Level Pitch/Roll button and the attitude indicator then levelled in both pitch and roll.

I then followed your guide to the end.

Now, when switching between 2D and OFF, there's no change in aileron and elevator centring.

I still have to fly the model again after this change, but feel that I may well have solved the problem of changing centres when switching between 2D and OFF, something which has been commented upon by others in other threads. So I think it might be an idea to include "Factory Reset" and "Level Pitch/Roll" as the first line in your Step B, before going on to the remaining setup.

One annoying thing about the Guardian is that the servos jitter continuously, irrespective of whether the power supply is a battery or the esc's BEC. With the Guardian removed and the servos connected directly into the Rx, they are completely quiet, again irrespective of whether battery or BEC provides the power. But when connected via the Guardian, they jitter. Admittedly the servos are cheap Spektrum digitals, and higher grade servos might not be so noisy, but there must be some kind of interaction between either the G and Rx, or G and servos, to produce the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Kind regards

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon; Sep 08, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Sep 09, 2013, 01:19 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Hi Gordon. Noise is pretty normal. I found it didn't matter what servos I used. Digitals are the worst but it doesn't mean there is anything wrong. It does not affect the performance at all. After you have flown it for a while it all becomes very familiar and I often swap modes as I am flying without giving it a thought anymore. Just make sure the battery is secure in your plane because if it falls out nothing works.... so I found out.
Latest blog entry: A bit about me
Sep 09, 2013, 07:56 AM
Zero noise/jittering with mine (using analog servos).

The cheap Hobby King stabiliser I had first on the same model did it though. Slight jittering when connected up but switched off, much worse jittering when stabilising was switched on.
Sep 09, 2013, 02:32 PM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Hi CD

Thanks very much for your Jargon Buster and setup instructions, which enabled me finally to understand how to optimise the G. And yes, I had read all the other threads

I had already flown my Guardian in a Sebart Katana 50E. Rx is an AR8000 and the Tx a DX18, set up with a mode switch and gain lever. However, I found that switching between 2D and OFF always changed the centring a tad on elevator and aileron, which was noticeable in flight. No amount of playing with the mode switch gestures or gain lever setting would eradicate the centring change.

After finding your most recent guide update, I downloaded the latest software update and then proceeded to set up the Guardian using your guide. I could never get the attitude indicator precisely levelled. Even clicking the “Level Pitch/Roll” button wouldn’t zero it.

Additionally, after completing the setup and firing up the system in the model, I still found that when I switched the mode switch between OFF and 2D, the ailerons and elevator changed centres. Switching back would return the surfaces to their original position. Switching between OFF and 3D produced no such movement.

Eventually, and after much experimentation, I hooked the G back up to my laptop, and with the model jigged in a level flying attitude, I went back to Step B of your guide. The model was jigged as previously, which is with the wings level, and the nose elevated so that the wing chord line was at 2deg angle of attack.

Then, before going further with Step B, I clicked on the Factory Reset button. Rather unexpectedly, this did not zero the attitude indicator, but left it elevated and banked. So at this point I clicked on the Reset Level Pitch/Roll button and the attitude indicator then levelled in both pitch and roll.

I then followed your guide to the end.

Now, when switching between 2D and OFF, there's no change in aileron and elevator centring.

I still have to fly the model again after this change, but feel that I may well have solved the problem of changing centres when switching between 2D and OFF, something which has been commented upon by others in other threads. So I think it might be an idea to include "Factory Reset" and "Level Pitch/Roll" as the first line in your Step B, before going on to the remaining setup.

One annoying thing about the Guardian is that the servos jitter continuously, irrespective of whether the power supply is a battery or the esc's BEC. With the Guardian removed and the servos connected directly into the Rx, they are completely quiet, again irrespective of whether battery or BEC provides the power. But when connected via the Guardian, they jitter. Admittedly the servos are cheap Spektrum digitals, and higher grade servos might not be so noisy, but there must be some kind of interaction between either the G and Rx, or G and servos, to produce the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Kind regards

Gordon
Hi Gordon,

I'm glad to hear you found the manual helpful.

I agree with both GranthamK and Bill G that some jittering of servos seems common, particularly with digital servo. I don't have DX18 so I'm afraid set up programme of this Tx is alien to me. Sometimes jittering occurs if you use sub-trims.

However, the way you've resolved the issue is good. I'll add this as an addendum since I wish to keep manual as an "Easy to follow guide". Since your problem is not seen by many others (including myself) so let's not cloud the issue.

But if it goes under FAQ, then others can follow it, if needed. In the same way I'll be adding "Differential ailerons" etc as they come along. These are special cases if you like.

I hope you like the feel and benefit of G. I'm on my fourth G now. I don't think i'll be flying my "Special Models" without G from now on. Soon going to try flying my EFlite Beaver and maiden Kyosho Cub (70 inch wp) with G.

Keep us posted about your experiences with G.

Cheers
Sep 10, 2013, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I tried the G on the bench using analog servos, and as noted by Bill, there's zero noise. Maybe the digitals have a narrower deadband.

I'll let you know how I get on with the G now that I know how to set it up and make adjustments via the laptop.

Cheers

Gordon
Sep 10, 2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Thanks for the comments guys. I tried the G on the bench using analog servos, and as noted by Bill, there's zero noise. Maybe the digitals have a narrower deadband.
The HK digitals I've run with Guardian weren't happy. Several gave a control surface oscillation with the plane at rest. Seemed ok in flight and the "at rest" oscillation would stop with finger pressure on the control surface or servo arm. I have two left to replace with Hitecs. The Hitec digitals are working great with Guardian.