EagleTree GUARDIAN 2D/3D "Do"s & "Don't"s list - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 21, 2013, 07:48 PM
3D apprentice
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting one of these. Really only want it to stop a 3D model from "wing rocking" in harrier, just for something to try. Didn't realize all the do's and dont's. Was also thinking of a simple heli gyro on the aileron axis. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks D
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2013, 03:48 AM
Flying is Electrifying
Hi Hoverin,

If you want to stop "Wing rocking" then a G is far better than heli gyro. Even for doing acrobatics, 3D will keep wing or elevator rock steady, provided you set up the G correctly.

There are a lot to learn about G really but once you master it, the reward is great. I can bet, you'll never be wanting to fly a model without a G ever again. (BTW I'm not paid to write this ).

As I suggested earlier to another member, please read my jargon buster version of Manual by clicking on my avatar and scroll down to second blog. This should help you to understand and do installation of a G to a model and test fly it.

I'd also suggest you to visit this thread - full of info and a few really helpful guys who would help you all the way to setting up a G.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1596644

Do you have any vid of your model here?

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Last edited by CurrentDude; May 22, 2013 at 03:57 AM.
May 22, 2013, 08:18 AM
3D apprentice
Thanks I'll give it all a look over. I've done a little reading here n there and to be honest I'm not into all the features the "G" offers, self leveling for one. I can see some advantages in windy conditions and this alone will be a big one for me as I live in a windy area (windy for over half the year anyway) but other than that the wing rock is the only driving force. Will do some more reading.
Cheers

P.S sorry no up to date video, none of wing rock anyway.
May 22, 2013, 10:49 AM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin
Thanks I'll give it all a look over. I've done a little reading here n there and to be honest I'm not into all the features the "G" offers, self leveling for one. I can see some advantages in windy conditions and this alone will be a big one for me as I live in a windy area (windy for over half the year anyway) but other than that the wing rock is the only driving force. Will do some more reading.
Cheers

P.S sorry no up to date video, none of wing rock anyway.
Hi Hoverin,

Yep, that's the reason why I did get my G in the first place. Now I can even fly my simple R & E model in 20mph wind gusting to 30-35 mph. Most of my club members pack up and go home but I still fly as if it's smooth calm day. Also, of course fly my full Monty scale planes without fear of crashing them.

It also takes away much of the hard work during landing, be it gusty or not.

I'd be very interested in seeing still pics. Harriers always fascinates me.

Cheers
May 22, 2013, 06:28 PM
3D apprentice
No probs I'll see what I can do today. :-)
May 24, 2013, 02:22 AM
Crash Ace
You should be able to program you radio with two switches to change the modes. The DX6 does not have knobs or sliders so gain control from the radio will not be possible (you can still adjust gain on the pots)
May 24, 2013, 03:34 AM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJeffW
You should be able to program you radio with two switches to change the modes. The DX6 does not have knobs or sliders so gain control from the radio will not be possible (you can still adjust gain on the pots)
Hi
I agree it possible needs more toggling of switches then actual flying can become less enjoyable IMO.

You can have either just 2D or 3D on and G -off by dialing negative number (or zero in some tx) on the toggle switch.

Cheers
Last edited by CurrentDude; Dec 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
May 24, 2013, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting one of these. Really only want it to stop a 3D model from "wing rocking" in harrier, just for something to try. Didn't realize all the do's and dont's. Was also thinking of a simple heli gyro on the aileron axis. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks D
Hey Hoverin, I would get one if you haven't ordered one yet. I bought one for my Stearman which is a hadfull on takeoff, but thought I would try it in my foam airplane first. WOW, it's so much fun. I just bought two more for a couple more airplanes. You will be amazed at how it takes the workload out of flying. It's super easy to set up, the hardest part was trying to figure out how to configure my transmitter. Once that part was done, it's fun and easy. It will eliminate wing rock for sure, and really makes for some smooth flying. I'm into 3D as well and prefer to fly with Heading hold off, but for starters I would use it. It's well worth the money, if you don't like it for any reason you can always sell it to a club member. But you won't.
May 25, 2013, 09:17 AM
3D apprentice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy1958
Hey Hoverin, I would get one if you haven't ordered one yet. I bought one for my Stearman which is a hadfull on takeoff, but thought I would try it in my foam airplane first. WOW, it's so much fun. I just bought two more for a couple more airplanes. You will be amazed at how it takes the workload out of flying. It's super easy to set up, the hardest part was trying to figure out how to configure my transmitter. Once that part was done, it's fun and easy. It will eliminate wing rock for sure, and really makes for some smooth flying. I'm into 3D as well and prefer to fly with Heading hold off, but for starters I would use it. It's well worth the money, if you don't like it for any reason you can always sell it to a club member. But you won't.
Cheers Flyboy, I have a Spartan DS 760 on the way but I think I will grab a G as well. Doesn't hurt to try these things. I'm just a little funny about having a component "help" me fly.Lol. Although some days I can use all the help I can get
May 25, 2013, 01:44 PM
I know what you mean. I'm the same way. I do know you will be very happy with the guadian though. You can just leave everything at the default settings and it will work just fine. The manual is not written the best if you ask me. It seems to cover everything, just not in the order you would think it should be in. A lot of the terms used, could stand to be explained better but that's what the fourms are for I guess. lol
May 25, 2013, 03:57 PM
Flying is Electrifying
Hi Guys

I take slightly different view - technology changes so we need to grab what's good and useful. The same reason why I like my tablet and not laptop, smartphone and not just a mobile phone. Guardian is no different - it makes flying more relaxing without the fear of crashing/ repairing again and again. More importantly, I can fly in fairly turbulent wind whereas I dare not fly with a G .

Cheers
Jun 05, 2013, 05:56 PM
So much info. on the Guardian out there ... apologies in advance if this is a common issue

My problem was that the plane always turned gently when switching from 'off' into 2D. 3D mode worked fine.

So ... tonight I used a long spirit level across the wings to get it aligned perfectly (supported on blocks), then did the 'remember level and trims' routine. Got the normal '1 kick' on the control surfaces to confirm. Without touching the plane I tried switching from off to 2D and found that the ailerons always kicked slightly to the left! Hmm. Repeated this a couple of times with exactly the same results. Guardian is mounted level in the fuselage (double-sided foam tape, not velcro) and the TX trims are all centred (not that it should make any difference). Only the ailerons were affected, and the offset was always the same after each 'remember' (as far as I could tell).

After 3 or 4 goes at this something strange happened. While switching between modes I suddenly got a second '1 kick' movement of the control surfaces. And guess what - now there is no trim change when switching into / out of 2D?!

The only thing I can think of is that my mode switch is set up as: off - 2D - 3D. So when I cycle the switch it goes: off - 2D - 3D - 2D - off. The Guardian appears to recognise this fine as I always get the '1 kick' confirmation. Per the manual the required sequence is 2D - 3D - 2D or 3D - 2D - 3D, with the 'off' position being ignored. But perhaps starting and finishing in the 'off' position does actually confuse it in some subtle way
Jun 29, 2013, 03:07 PM
I've been using ET Guardian for 2 month as love it. However, I have not had much luck in changing the Center Stick Box Size to allow acrobatics while in 2D. I've enabled center stick box and set at 40% but stabilizer kicks in and does not allow simple loops or rolls. To do so, I switch to 3D then back to 2D for remainder of the flight. What settings have you found allow loops/rolls etc while still in 2D? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Bill
Jun 29, 2013, 05:22 PM
Flying is Electrifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clarida
I've been using ET Guardian for 2 month as love it. However, I have not had much luck in changing the Center Stick Box Size to allow acrobatics while in 2D. I've enabled center stick box and set at 40% but stabilizer kicks in and does not allow simple loops or rolls. To do so, I switch to 3D then back to 2D for remainder of the flight. What settings have you found allow loops/rolls etc while still in 2D? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Bill
Hi Bill,
2D flying means you cannot do loops and rolls so most flyers use it for landings and take offs and also for automatically correcting any loss of orientation.

for loops and rolls use 3d as you have been doing.

Have you down loaded newer version of the software? If not then suggest you do it.

HTH.

Cheers
Jul 01, 2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude
It really depends on what you want to achieve. If it's simply connecting two separate ailerons then y-lead is sufficient. However, if you want to achieve differential in ailerons then you'll need to connect one lead to differential.

BTW, you're not alone but others have found ET Manual is confusing. I've written a jargon buster version which has received ET's approval or shall I say ET have referred to my version of the manual.

HTH
Cheers
I keep a copy of his jargon in my transmitter case. I have set all three of mine up based of his input, except for a senior moment on my end, they all have flown fine.