Jan 20, 2014, 02:54 PM
I Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
The only time I use 2D is for shooting video with the plane high overhead (when it's practically impossible to keep it level/steady by hand). Perfect for that.
I guess we didn't understand the purpose of 2D, I thought of it as a 'training mode' to make a plane like a trainer. If it isn't used for that I doubt we would have much use for the mode given we are not shooting video.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2014, 02:56 PM
I Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kurt
hi, you need to move the sliders in the pc for yaw and pitch ( I think these were the correct labels) from the default 60 to 80. This will give you a little more control and tighter turn radius. I think this is what your asking for, if I understood your ?.
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Jan 20, 2014, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb
I guess we didn't understand the purpose of 2D, I thought of it as a 'training mode' to make a plane like a trainer. If it isn't used for that I doubt we would have much use for the mode given we are not shooting video.
2D mode will basically return the plane to a level attitude and hold it there, as soon as you let go of the sticks. It will do this quickly from any attitude. Trainers do this by design, but not as quickly or as effectively.

If you're an experienced pilot 3D mode is much nicer for general flying around ... it keeps the plane flying where you point it (smoothing out the effects of turbulence etc.). I have my Guardian in an old Twin Star and in 3D mode it flies like a pattern ship i.e. neutrally stable. I really like it
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jan 20, 2014, 03:22 PM
I Fly!
So in 2D mode, even if I held stick input for a gradual turn, on approach, it keep trying to level out. I saw how it worked when I pushed the stick over then let it go and the plane leveled like a trainer, but I was shocked that it was trying to level out while I held a gradual turn. I could understand if I was overcontroling and it was limiting my roll, I've seen this with my son's Firebird Stratos in full virtual trainer mode, but I was turning onto base and final with a lot of effort. It was obviously my mistake to slave the 2D/3D to my gear switch and leave my retracts connected. Next test flight will be with retracts disconnected so wheels are always down and I can get her down in 3D mode, or see if I can figure out a mix to get me an off option.
Jan 20, 2014, 04:08 PM
I got FPV fever
Thread OP
Quote:

.....Unfortunately when I started trying to get her down with 2D mode I found the plane really fought me. It just would not let me turn well at all, it constantly wanted to keep leveling the wings. It took my 3 approaches to get her on the runway and I came very close to bring her in with the gear up. Any advise? I did hook the PC up to the G after it was installed (latest SW update was downloaded), but didn't make any changes to the default settings. I do know how to set the gains and direction correctly so this wasn't the problem. I'm hoping there is something simple I'm missing and that maybe the PC hooked to the unit will help me reduce the 2D self leveling.
Hi jrtubb,

What you've observed is typical of 2D mode - that's what it supposed to do. So if you lost orientation then just let go off the stick and G will level it for you. I mentioned in an earlier post and that's why you'd feel slightly disconnected flying in 2D.

However, recently ET have added a new feature so you need to down load the latest version of the firmware. This is all I've given in my version of the manual.

Now, when your G is connected to the Computer ( see page 6 in my version), then go to 2D mode and adjust the Stabiliser roll to 70 degree (default 60 degree). If that works for you then well and good otherwise you can gradually work your way up. I found 70 degree is enough roll angle for giving you a sharpish turn without taking the whole sky for a 180 degree turn.

There are no fixed rules, but I like landing on 2D because then you know your wings will always be level and you just focus on keeping the nose down for landing. But do not reduce throttle too soon, plane might stall.

I love taking off in 3D because once you give the full throttle, build up speed and put slightly up elevator and let the stick go neutral, the model will virtually maintain than angle to the eternity until you alter pitch angle etc.

HTH

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kurt
hi, you need to move the sliders in the pc for yaw and pitch ( I think these were the correct labels) from the default 60 to 80. This will give you a little more control and tighter turn radius. I think this is what your asking for, if I understood your ?.
Hi CK,
Yep that's another way of doing it once you're in 2D programme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grich
with the addiction it is extremely important that the guardian be centered of the CG.
Hi Grich

This is an essential step for any model i.e. G needs to be positioned at or very close to the CG.

Cheers
Last edited by CurrentDude; Jan 20, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Jan 20, 2014, 06:38 PM
I Fly!
Thanks so much. I did update to the latest firmware, but I didn't make any tweaks in the SW from defaults. If anyone can point me to a mix combo I can use with a DX6i I would appreciate it.
Jan 21, 2014, 10:19 AM
I got FPV fever
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks so much. I did update to the latest firmware, but I didn't make any tweaks in the SW from defaults. If anyone can point me to a mix combo I can use with a DX6i I would appreciate it.
Hi jrtubb,

Guardian would do the mixing for you so there is really no need to set extra mixing programming.

One thing I would do tho, reduce the control throws on your R, E and A in the TX but keep the G gain 100%. That way G would respond quickly when necessary but then if it becomes too twitchy then you can reduce it by altering the master gain knob on your Tx. So you can adjust controls during flights.

Hope it makes sense. Try it on bench and you should be able to see the difference.

Cheers
Jan 21, 2014, 11:58 AM
Robert the Swiss

Slight kicks to the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
So much info. on the Guardian out there ... apologies in advance if this is a common issue

My problem was that the plane always turned gently when switching from 'off' into 2D. 3D mode worked fine.

So ... tonight I used a long spirit level across the wings to get it aligned perfectly (supported on blocks), then did the 'remember level and trims' routine. Got the normal '1 kick' on the control surfaces to confirm. Without touching the plane I tried switching from off to 2D and found that the ailerons always kicked slightly to the left! Hmm. Repeated this a couple of times with exactly the same results. Guardian is mounted level in the fuselage (double-sided foam tape, not velcro) and the TX trims are all centred (not that it should make any difference). Only the ailerons were affected, and the offset was always the same after each 'remember' (as far as I could tell).

After 3 or 4 goes at this something strange happened. While switching between modes I suddenly got a second '1 kick' movement of the control surfaces. And guess what - now there is no trim change when switching into / out of 2D?!

The only thing I can think of is that my mode switch is set up as: off - 2D - 3D. So when I cycle the switch it goes: off - 2D - 3D - 2D - off. The Guardian appears to recognise this fine as I always get the '1 kick' confirmation. Per the manual the required sequence is 2D - 3D - 2D or 3D - 2D - 3D, with the 'off' position being ignored. But perhaps starting and finishing in the 'off' position does actually confuse it in some subtle way
I'm so happy to find this post - was installing my G last night and it took me a lot of time to try to understand this behaviour... plane rests on the bench without any movement and ailerons move and move and move very slowly - obviously wanting to let the plane make a turn to the left. When turning the plane left by hand, the ailerons move back... but then start again to move in the same manner.

I will go thru "the magic G guide" and see if I forgot something. Or is this a common "issue" in the meantime? Or is it normal behaviour?
Jan 21, 2014, 01:53 PM
I got FPV fever
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertoho
I'm so happy to find this post - was installing my G last night and it took me a lot of time to try to understand this behaviour... plane rests on the bench without any movement and ailerons move and move and move very slowly - obviously wanting to let the plane make a turn to the left. When turning the plane left by hand, the ailerons move back... but then start again to move in the same manner.

I will go thru "the magic G guide" and see if I forgot something. Or is this a common "issue" in the meantime? Or is it normal behaviour?

Hi Robertoho,

Glad you find this thread helpful.

I'm not sure what do you mean by "the magic G guide" ?

I've written a jargon buster version and you might find it helpful/ answers your question.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1869920

HTH

Cheers
Jan 21, 2014, 02:41 PM
I think "the magic G guide" he is referring to is choochoo22's guide...
Jan 21, 2014, 04:12 PM
I Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude
Hi jrtubb,

Guardian would do the mixing for you so there is really no need to set extra mixing programming.

One thing I would do tho, reduce the control throws on your R, E and A in the TX but keep the G gain 100%. That way G would respond quickly when necessary but then if it becomes too twitchy then you can reduce it by altering the master gain knob on your Tx. So you can adjust controls during flights.

Hope it makes sense. Try it on bench and you should be able to see the difference.

Cheers
Thanks, unfortunately the DX6i only has 2 extra channels and they are only 2 way switch's, I have no additional rotary adjustment available like a knob. I found the that to basically make the Guardian have an off, I have to use the only two mixes to slave one of my channels to be a on / off for the 2D/3D channel. Unfortunately on my Hurricane, which is a full 6 channel bird with retracts and flaps, I lose both of these functions. I'm now seeing why people move onto a radio with more channels
Jan 21, 2014, 04:52 PM
I got FPV fever
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH
I think "the magic G guide" he is referring to is choochoo22's guide...
Hi DamonH

Thanx for clarify that.

Cheers
Jan 21, 2014, 05:00 PM
I got FPV fever
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks, unfortunately the DX6i only has 2 extra channels and they are only 2 way switch's, I have no additional rotary adjustment available like a knob. I found the that to basically make the Guardian have an off, I have to use the only two mixes to slave one of my channels to be a on / off for the 2D/3D channel. Unfortunately on my Hurricane, which is a full 6 channel bird with retracts and flaps, I lose both of these functions. I'm now seeing why people move onto a radio with more channels
Hi jrtubb

Ah.hhhh I see your problem. I sold my DX6i many years back. Currently use DX8 - wanted to move on with the technology. Before DX8, I used Futaba FF7 (yep, 35 mhz). Ultimately it cames to its natural end so I was forced to get DX8 and have no regret for getting it.

I've Futaba FASST 7C (2.4Ghz) but Rx are v expensive and also programming is not easy either.

Hope someone here come up with an answer for you.

Cheers
Jan 21, 2014, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Before DX8, I used Futaba FF7 (yep, 35 mhz).
I still use 35 MHz most of the time. Multiplex Evo - more switches & sliders than you can shake a stick at, and all freely assignable
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jan 22, 2014, 05:14 AM
Robert the Swiss
Quote:
Hi Robertoho,

Glad you find this thread helpful.

I'm not sure what do you mean by "the magic G guide" ?

I've written a jargon buster version and you might find it helpful/ answers your question.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1869920

HTH

Cheers

Thanks for your attention - yes the "idiot-proof guide". I've read throught that thread and got the impression it may have a solution for my problem - where I'm not sure if I really have one - the plane was not airborne till now.

I found it described in Report #27 from Bill Glover in this thread.

Try to describe it again: Plane sits quite on the bench, supported to be leveled. Than (with Tx on) I plug its battery in so it starts up. Within 15 sec I do toggle flight mode switch at Tx from 2D to 3D and back to 2D and the plane confirms that with one wink with ailerons and elevator. So far so good: Ailerons are now perfectly straight with the wings.

I do not touch the plane, leave flight mode on 2D and just wait.

Slowly but surely now the ailerons MOVE sightly for a left turn. Very slightly. Step by step, further and further. I can wait a minute and they moved for quite a steep turn left.

When I touch the Tx-stick for ailerons then they get resettet to straigt - but start again to move - slowly but surely.

I can recalibrate flight level and trim so many times I want - that does not change anything. I can reduce gain and it will move slowlier - but still moves. It does not happen in 3D-mode.

I assumed that nothing should move when the plane sits still on the bench, holding the exact heading where it was calibratet to...??

May be I should just do some test flights. Even with this problem the plane would do only a very vague left turn in 2D-mode...

Quick Reply