Feb 23, 2013, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Older DX7 flaps programming 3 servo wing

I have a DX7 radio, a HK orange 7 channel receiver and a wing with 2 aileron servos and 1 flap servo. I have the right aileron servo in channel 2, left aileron channel 6 aux1, and the flap servo channel 7, aux2. Ailerons work fine. In the flaps system menu I have the 3 position switch selected. No matter what values I enter for flaps and elevator, either up or down in norm, mid, or land positions, flaps do not move in switch positions 1 and 2. Position 0 gives me full downward deflection. The elevator doesn't move in any of the 3 switch positions. I get full downward deflection of flaps in position 1 regardless of changing the travel adjust for aux 2, flap channel. I hope someone can help as I am stumped. . Ideally I would like to have flaps off, 1/2 flaps and full flaps using the 3 position switch. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by stemo99; Feb 23, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2013, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemo99
I have a DX7 radio, a HK orange 7 channel receiver and a wing with 2 aileron servos and 1 flap servo. I have the right aileron servo in channel 2, left aileron channel 6 aux1, and the flap servo channel 7, aux2. Ailerons work fine. In the flaps system menu I have the 3 position switch selected. No matter what values I enter for flaps and elevator, either up or down in norm, mid, or land positions, flaps do not move in switch positions 1 and 2. Position 0 gives me full downward deflection. The elevator doesn't move in any of the 3 switch positions. I get full downward deflection of flaps in position 1 regardless of changing the travel adjust for aux 2, flap channel. I hope someone can help as I am stumped. . Ideally I would like to have flaps off, 1/2 flaps and full flaps using the 3 position switch. Thanks in advance.
I have just set up my DX7 with an Orange 9 channel rx and I am trying to replicate your problem. The first thing I can see is that your left aileron is on channel 6, which is actually the flap channel. I guess you must have set up mix 1 as aileron to flap [channel 6]. This makes the ailerons work ok but of course as one is on the flap channel some funny things are going to happen when you use the flight mode switch to operate the flaps. The flight mode switch will in fact move the aileron on channel 6.
Why don't you set it up like this. Flaperon Delta and Vee tail all off. One aileron on channel 2 and the other on channel 5, the gear channel. Set up mix one to mix aileron with gear [ch 5] and set 100% left and right. Then just use channel 6 for the flaps. Be sure to set the throws for gear [ch 5] at zero and zero to avoid the gear switch operating the aileron servo on channel 5. You then will find that the Flight Mode switch will give you 3 flap positions that you can set on the flap display, and set what ever elevator compensation you want.
Your problem is that you were using a flap channel for one of the ailerons and then expecting the flight mode [flap] switch to work the flaps.
If you are already using the gear channel for something, just set mix 1 for Aileron to channel 7, and use those channels for your aileron servos.
Feb 25, 2013, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Krafty for the reply. I think in my frustration I removed all the servo to receiver connections, then just plugged in the channel for the throttle and flaps to channel 6 and flaps still didn't work with the 3 position switch. I will try your suggestion and post the results. Thanks again.
Steve
Feb 25, 2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Thanks Krafty for the reply. I think in my frustration I removed all the servo to receiver connections, then just plugged in the channel for the throttle and flaps to channel 6 and flaps still didn't work with the 3 position switch. I will try your suggestion and post the results. Thanks again.
Steve
I am confused! What has the throttle channel got to do with anything here? Just go back to square one and reset all the data for that model memory. Plug a battery into any servo outlet, plug in the bind plug and rebind. Now get rid of the bind plug, bung a servo into channel 6, and the Flight Mode 3 position switch will operate the servo. The switch pos 0 will give full throw one way, pos 1 will centre the servo, and pos 2 will give full throw the other way. Then use "Flap sys." screen to set the actual throws that you want. Once that is sorted set the ailerons up on channel 2 and 5 using mix 1 as previously detailed. If you have retracts and are already using ch 5, use ch 7 for the other aileron [with mix 1 set to mix ailerons and ch 7], but be sure if you use ch 5 or 7, to set the throws for that channel to zero each way, so switches on the transmitter do not affect that channel. I used my spare DX7 and an Orange 9 rx to prove it.
Phew, it really is a very basic setup.
Feb 26, 2013, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Sorry for the confusion but plugging in the throttle channel to channel 1 was to power the receiver from the bec of the esc in leau of using a battery. I wish mixes were as simple for myself as they are for you but I'll get there. Thanks for your help, I'll post the results.
Steve
Feb 27, 2013, 09:25 AM
Thread OP
Krafty, got it working fine. Right aileron ch2, left aileron aux2 ch7, flap servo to ch6, mix 1 ail to aux2. Flap switch position 0 normal, pos1 1/2 flap and pos3 full flap. Now that I've done it, the lightbulb went off in my head and makes much more sense to me. Thank you for your help.
Steve
Feb 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Krafty, got it working fine. Right aileron ch2, left aileron aux2 ch7, flap servo to ch6, mix 1 ail to aux2. Flap switch position 0 normal, pos1 1/2 flap and pos3 full flap. Now that I've done it, the lightbulb went off in my head and makes much more sense to me. Thank you for your help.
Steve
No problem. When you have time, just set up some mixes, play around with strange things like "offset" in the mixes, then go to the Monitor screen on the DX7 and waggle the sticks and throw some switches and see what happens on the monitor. . It beats watching tv and it is a great way to find out how all the tricky stuff works. Have fun.
Feb 28, 2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Steve
Have you tried to see if your aileron trim works for your left aileron? I haven't had a DX7 for a while but as I recall only mixes 5 and 6 allow the trim to work. If your aileron trim doesn't effect both ailerons, use mix 5 instead of mix 1 for your ail -> aux 2 mix.
Feb 28, 2013, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
wfield0455, thanks for the heads up, will try the trim and post results.
Steve
Just tried aileron trim on Aux1 and it did not work. Switched the mix to Mix5 and now works perfectly. Thanks for the heads up.
Steve
Last edited by stemo99; Feb 28, 2013 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply